“High hopes, but was let down”

Candlewood Suites San Antonio NW Near Seaworld
Ranked #153 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“High hopes, but was let down”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

This is a very nice place, but the service is horrible. We had to ask if there was a cot or extra blankets we could have 3 times (over a 7 hour period) and never heard back. When we called back they did not care and told us they could do nothing to help us. Felt they didnt care and did not want to help. Would not come back or recommend this one to anyone. Go to another hotel that cares

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Megan M
CWD_SeaWorld_MGR, General Manager at Candlewood Suites San Antonio NW Near Seaworld, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
We apologize for any inconvenience you had during your stay but definitely appreciate your comments as this enables us to improve. During your recent visit, we have been undergoing changes in management as well as staff and am glad to see our latest comments truly reflect the genuine service we strive to provide.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

I checked into this hotel at 2200 hours, after fleeing from another extended stay hotel in San Antonio. It was like finding an oasis in the middle of Death Valley by comparison. The front desk staff was exceedingly welcoming, friendly and helpful. The entire facility is scrupulously clean and inviting, the rooms quiet and marvelously comfortable. There is an exercise room, a marvelous laundry facility - and the machines are free! - and a little shop with snacks and other items a traveler might need. I highly recommend staying at this hotel. You won't regret it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
CWD_SeaWorld_MGR, General Manager at Candlewood Suites San Antonio NW Near Seaworld, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
We absolutely love your comments here regarding your most recent stay. We are strived for making our guests feel comfortable as we know the trends of traveling tend to take a toll on us all. Glad to know you enjoyed the many convenient amenities we provide. Looking forward to your next stay with us!
Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

MY family and I had 2 rooms here for 4 nights, When we checked in around 2 pm, the staff was incredibly welcoming and friendly and had us laughing 5 minutes upon arrival, upon our stay the front desk was very accommodating and friendly and willing to help with any situation. The new management team had just taken over 2 young ladies who were bright and beautiful and engaged in sincere conversation making us feel that we were truly welcome here. We are planning another trip in late August and have no other place in mind to where we will be staying!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your response and your experience from new management. We strive to make sure our guests feel like family. Sometimes it just takes a woman's touch!
Fort Worth, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

We called ahead and made sure that everything was ok with our reservation and confirmed that we could check in early and when we got there they said "Oh we don't have any rooms so you are going to have to go to another hotel we booked for you 10 more miles from your destination Sea World." So we went and they not only wouldn't check us in early they rudely told us that they didn't have any rooms and they weren't going to check us in for 2 hours. We went back in 2 hours and they told us we had to wait another 30 min in order to get a room. They gave us a room that did not accomidate my family and small children so we had to move rooms, all the while their corporate offices told me that they couldn't do anyting because we were getting the first night for free so they didn't know why we were complaining. I would steer very clear of the IHC...Holiday Inn chain...they are not only rude, their corporate customer care people could care less about any situation you may see yourself in.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank cassira12
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Candlewood Suites San Antonio NW Near Seaworld, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Dear cassira12,

I apologize for the inconvenience of having to move to another property. It is not very often that this happens. Sometimes the hotel gets oversold. When this happens we move the guest to an alternate location and pay for your first night there. It sounds like the hotel did follow proper procedure. Once again, I deeply apologize for the inconvenience.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

I'm staying in San Antonio on business and working out at Lackland AFB. I stayed at this Candlewood Suites for 16 days early Nov 2011. I had a one bedroom King suite; rooms are very clean; hotels was just built in 2010/11. Nice big kitchen; full size frig, full size microwave, two burner flat top stove, toaster, full size dishwasher, pantry, pots and pans, etc... My room had two 32" wide screen LCD TVs and a very nice size desk. The living room has a comfortable recliner and sleeper sofa. One perk that I did appreciated very much, since I had a long term stay, was the complementary washer and dryers. The room even has a laundry basket; which doesn’t sound that amazing, but when you just washed 2 or 3 loads of laundry it really helps. Bathroom was very nice. The cable TV wasn't very good and the internet was so so; there is wired high speed and wireless. I had trouble with my VPN login several times that didn’t allow me to work. Also, the way they have their router configured wouldn’t allow me to play online multiplayer with my PS3. The front desk personal was very friendly, but didn’t go out of their way to help with issues. Also, they could use a class in effective communication. Apparently, during a long term stay, the hotel bills your card every Monday morning, but they don’t tell you that up front. Also, when they billed my card you would have thought they would have printed out a statement and slid it under my door; nope. I guess the last straw was when I checked out. I was in a hurry to get to work and didn’t review my bill until I got to work. I checked out on a Wednesday and remember I said they charge your card every Monday morning. Well, on Tuesday they charged my card for Monday and Tuesday night, which again I wasn’t told, Then when I check out on Wednesday I was again charged for Tuesday night; so I was double charged for Tuesday night. After calling the hotel I was credited for one night and after several more calls I received an updated statement/receipt for my expense report. During all this I wasn’t offered any sort of compensation; free night, points, etc…

So in general this is a nice affordable hotel with clean, comfortable big rooms, but the staff needs some coaching.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room directly over the patio in the back of the hotel; next to the pool, unless y...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank RedWngsRule0
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2011

This small little pet friendly hotel has it all. Yes, a gym, clean pool, BBQ grill, laundry facility, buisiness center, and a little bodega store in the lobby for all the stuff you may have forgotten. But once you get past the clean modern rooms with a micro kitchette, full size fridge, dishwasher and micro. What's left? I'll tell you. Very nice, professional, well mannered, respectful front counter staff. The guys that run the front desk are very knowledgable about San Antonio and really go out of their way to help. As the ambassadors of first impressions this hotel has the right people up front. I have returned twice in one month and will continue to make this my choice when in San Antonio.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank gymratslsmn
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2011

This was a really nice place to stay. The room was very nice and clean with a full sized kitchen and with all the dishes and appliances. The laundry facility was free as long as you supplied the detergent which I thought was great. The people that worked there was very friendly and very helpful. Also, for two ladies traveling with no man, we felt very, very safe there. I will definitely stay there again to visit my grandchildren who only live seven miles from the hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends