“Avoid. Probably lots of better options nearby.”

Candlewood Suites San Antonio N - Stone Oak Area
Ranked #176 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Birmingham, Alabama
“Avoid. Probably lots of better options nearby.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

This was my first trip to San Antonio, and I really wished I had a better hotel. The wireless internet connection was slow and sometimes nonexistent. The snack area near the front desk was not only typically overpriced, but lacking the one thing I went down there to purchase. I would have found the room satisfactory if I hadn't been surprised by a bunch of live crickets hiding in my bathroom after it rained overnight -- I was surprised since I was on the fourth floor! The elevator was also extremely slow, and I could probably expect a wait of 2 minutes for the car to arrive anytime I tried to use it. Again, I thought this was a long time for an elevator that only had to service four floors.

A decent nearby restaurant to eat at was BJ's Brewhouse, but it wasn't enough to justify me returning from this hotel. Better choices in the area are probably near the I-10/1604 intersection.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
El Paso, TX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2010

As you can probably tell from the reviews, the hotel started off great....but has quickly taken a downhill turn. Within six months, the hotel has dirty, smelly common areas (elevator), terrible customer service at the front desk, and clearly needs to re-train employees on basics of housekeeping and customer service. I checked three times prior to day I was supposed to receive housekeeping services (only offered once/week for extended stay), arrived back at hotel after a long day at work and had not received service. When I went to the front desk to notify them, the housekeeping manager came back up to my room and accused me of throwing the towels on the floor and unmaking the bed, and apparently filling the trash can with trash, because the employee "said she cleaned it". Never again!

1 Thank rir_10
Johns Island, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2010

Below are reasons for my 1 star review:

1) Dirty hotel--This hotel is only 6 months old, yet it is dirty with stains and an elevator that smells like animal pee.
2) Unfriendly front desk--The front desk was not at all helpful or friendly. This was a huge disappointment.
3) Room gets cleaned once per week and even then was not cleaned properly
4) Disorganized--I came in on a Sunday and found out that I was never fully checked in thus I was shown as a no show!!!

1 Thank rjm3030
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

I booked this hotel because of it's proximity to the new Marriott convention center, the location of my meeting (where rooms were more than twice the price of Candlewood rooms). This hotel was okay, but aging pretty quickly; I was told it had only been open a few months, but it was already showing wear. It seemed every time I went in the hallway or came off of an elevator, I met a dog, some unleashed. My room was okay, but the hallway smelled like dog food. The AC would come on with a loud swish and blow lots of air and shut off. While the air was blowing, it was cold; when it was not, it was hot. It was quite difficult to regulate.

Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2010

Stayed three nights. This is a brand new property, everything is new. Nice flat screen LG tv's. The A/C / heating units are the in-wall type and are considerably loud, it really blows air! They did not consider noise level when installing those. It was a minor thing to me, but could be very annoying to another.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
San Antonio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2010

We stayed here for 3 weeks while our house was geting ready.The GM Alison and her staff goes out of their way to make your stay great. Very warm and friendly and if you need something, they do it.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family