SpringHill Suites San Antonio Downtown/Riverwalk Area
Ranked #83 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Edgewood, KY
“Bad”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

I travel a lot for business and have stayed in a variety of hotels, and motels across the country and in other countries around the world, this was one of the worst.
Very little staff working was the first thing I noticed. The Bar was closed at 8:30PM on a Thursday evening, no one working in the coffee/snack store- I saw one employee and she was working the counter.Very unfriendly service at check in. Fans in all the halls blowing around the damp musty odor( Hotel must have a problem with water leaking in) Dimly lit hallways. The room was large enough but very poorly decorated. Looks like they tried to renovate on a very small budget. Mold in Bathroom, telephone by bed didn't work, Remote for TV didn't work, thin cheap towels, Internet was not reliable and took an hour to get online to check email( although it was free internet which I think all hotels should offer their guests). USB port on desk to charge phone didn't work. One bar of soap( I think there should always be two at a hotel. Cracks in walls, carpets dirty, Carpet in hallways was filthy. Ordered room service because I was hungry and didn't want to go out when I first arrived- tired from traveling- food was terrible- drink was presented on tray in a paper cup. Before arriving I had planned to eat breakfast at the hotel but after the terrible room service and lack of employees working at this hotel I decided not to risk eating their breakfast and went elsewhere. If the price of the hotel was dirt cheap then I would expect this and would not write a review , but for the money and the location and because this is a large reputable chain, this hotel is a rip-off and grossly under the standards I believe Sheraton has. Stay across the street at the Hyatt Place or somewhere else closer to the Riverwalk. This hotel isn't in a terrible location but it's not on the Riverwalk as it's name implies it's several blocks away (4 or 5).This hotel needs a management overhaul and some serious renovations to bring it up to par with it's competitors. Other guests that were to stay at the hotel that I was meeting in San Antonio left this property and stayed at another hotel downtown because they were disgusted by the smell. I was only there for two nights and I toughed it out but was extremely disappointed by this Sheraton property. Hope this helps someone avoid ruining part of their trip to the great city of San Antonio.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Rob P, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Antonio Downtown/Riverwalk Area, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear fuzzydrums,

I appreciate you sharing your feedback with us. I want to extend my sincere apologies for you having experienced a bad stay with us. We train our staff to create a positive and customer oriented atmosphere here at the hotel. Anything less is not acceptable.

We are taking extraordinary steps to stay ahead of the changing needs of hotel travelers and will be undergoing a renovation
to make improvements to enable our guests an experience that promises greater comfort and enhanced productivity. We will
their experience at the hotel.

We do pride ourselves in having a warm and fun environment and we fell short based on your comments. The comments received on Trip Advisor do help us in determining our opportunities for continued training.

Again my sincerest apologies. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 210-212-8701.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Stephens City, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Was recently here for a business trip with my husband. The hotel is not in the best part of town. It desperately needs major updating and cleaning as the rugs are filthy. In the halls as well as in the room. I wore white socks while inside the hotel room and the bottoms were black . The hall carpets are black with grime no matter where you are in the facility. They charge $10.00 for breakfast which is pretty much continental. You can make a waffle and they did have very dry scrambled eggs and bacon. All out in warming trays. We were extremely disappointed. The food was not good. There really is no breakfast places in this area. we had a two-room suite. The only good thing I can say about the room is the bed and pillows was incredibly comfortable. Did not ever have a bad nights sleep and we were there for a few days. It was nice having a tv in the sitting area as well as the sleeping area. The room had a refrigerator and microwave. The bathroom vanity with sink is outside the bathroom in between the sleeping area and sitting room. There were baskets on the floor under the sink with a roll of toilet tissue some wash cloths and two hand towels and a hair dryer.. When we arrived there was no soap in the room.
The bathroom had a toilet and tub with a handheld shower. I believe we had an handicap accessible room. I don,t know how it is handicap accessible. in the toilet area there is a large shower seat that would need to be carried across and lifted into the tub to use for bathing. also the towels are on a rack over the toilet and then there were three hooks high on the walls on which to hang the towels. If a person could mange setting all this up you then have to get the handheld shower off the wall which is placed at least 7 feet high up the wall. The water took quite a while to get hot and once it was hot it only came out of the shower in a weak stream .

At one point the toilet tissue needed to be refilled. We took the extra roll but the guest cannot put it in the caddy. It has a key lock. I left it on the shower chair which was next to the toilet expecting the maid to put it on the caddy. Nope. It stayed on the chair next to the toilet. Then to top it off they disabled our room keys a day early. I would not recommend this establishment.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
Dear ittsmmeeee ,

their experience at the hotel.

Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

This hotel is great. Large, very clean rooms. The location is also great as it is close to the Riverwalk and Alamo. There is a restaurant called Rosario's not too far that has awesome food. The service has likewise been good with a very knowledgeable staff. I highly recommend staying here if you are coming to San Antonio

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Drew M,

Thank you very much for taking time out of your busy schedule to share your review with the Trip Advisor community.

I am glad to know that you found the location convenient and took in some of the local flavors San Antonio has to offer.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to San Antonio!!
Manassas, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed here on a business trip where the meeting was held at the hotel. Room was spacious with a refrigerator and microwave. Had a separate living room with a couch separate from the bedroom which also had a TV. Hotel is a little worn around the edges -- it could use new carpet, painting, etc. Free wifi which worked very well. Wouldn't bother eating at the hotel -- limited options and much better food to be had nearby. Staff was very friendly and attentive. This hotel is NOT on the Riverwalk. It is south of the Riverwalk on the other side of La Villita Artist Colony. It is a few blocks walk to get to the Riverwalk and restaurants. I'm a walker an had no problems walking everywhere I wanted to go. As a tall and fit man, I had no issues walking, even at night, but single women may feel a little leery as the final 2-3 blocks from the Riverwalk are void of people and activity. For a business trip, it was an ok place to stay, but there are better located options than here.

Dear Tribe93

Thank you for taking time to share your experience during your visit to San Antonio. We do have some opportunities in improving the face of our hotel, and with that said, we are taking extraordinary steps to stay ahead of the changing needs of hotel travelers and will be undergoing a renovation to make improvements to enable our guests an experience that promises greater comfort and enhanced productivity.

We will be taking great strides during this time to ensure all guests are comfortable, can function with ease and will remain in control of their experience at the hotel.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of futher assistance. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope you have a wonderful day!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

I never had to ask for anything. The staff was very polite, they welcomed me every time I walked in the door. The location is amazing. You are within walking distance of the riverwalk, so no need to pay for parking. I will be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mel_Garber, Starwood Hotels at SpringHill Suites San Antonio Downtown/Riverwalk Area, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Kpouncy,

Thank you for your kind review. We are glad that you found our staff to be polite and our location to be convenient to the Riverwalk. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel the next time you’re visiting San Antonio.
Cambodia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed here in August while visiting family. We didn't want to get into the tourist mode, yet we wanted to be close to the centre, the Alamo and the Riverwalk. This mid-priced hotel suited us perfectly. It is a very pleasant stroll to the Riverwalk area for dinner, and to the Alamo for sightseeing. Our room was big enough, clean and well-equipped. We didn't eat there so cannot comment, except we had a coffee and cake from the cafe across from the reception desk and that was nice. There is a small bar downstairs with nice, helpful staff there and at reception. The parking area is small but there is an overflow area so don't worry. Just make sure to display the hotels parking card if you are using it overnight, or you may have to pay parking fees. The check-in and out was hassle free, and the staff were welcoming and friendly. There is easy access to the north of SA, including to SAT airport. All in all a good place to stay and we would stay there again happily.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Mel_Garber, Starwood Hotels at SpringHill Suites San Antonio Downtown/Riverwalk Area, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Irishtraveller90,

Thank you for your positive review. We are very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. Thank you for commenting on our convenient location, clean rooms, and helpful staff. We are also happy to hear that you would enjoy staying with us in the future. Hope to see you again soon.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Here on business, great staff ,Salena at the front desk went above and beyond to make my stay enjoyable. I travel very frequently and the quality, cleanliness, and helpfulness of the staff was great. Beds are extremely comfortable , not hard , pillow top. I did not eat at the restaurant but the food looked ok. Walking distance is a little father from downtown, Riverwalk, but nice local restaraunts in walking distance opposite of downtown. Parking is on site which is very nice. Room was single king, sitting room, 2 nice sized tvs. cold,cold ac and hot water in shower. Very happy with the total package. Will plan to stay here next trip to San Antonio.

Dear Ken G,

We appreciate hearing your positive feedback. We are glad that our front desk staff went above your expectations and made your stay more enjoyable. Thank you for your kind review of our comfortable beds, convenient location, ease of parking, and helpful staff. We look forward to your next stay with us.