“Lukewarm food, one server for the group, and a broken contract”
Review of Barbaresco - CLOSED

Neighborhood: North Central
Cross street: McCarty
San Antonio, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lukewarm food, one server for the group, and a broken contract”
Reviewed December 5, 2011

My Red Hat group returned to Barbaresco for our annual Christmas luncheon. The restaurant has a new owner as of a month ago. What a disappointment compared to last year. My pasta was not hot and I saved most of it to warm over later. I did not send it back because there were others waiting for their food and we had one waiter for our group of 2 dozen.

Barbaresco had not wanted to honor the contract made with the prior owner and took many of the dishes and dessert away from our selection list. Our president was told each table of 4 could share a piece of cake, so she declined dessert for the group. However we got a menu which accidentally listed dessert, so they reluctantly served it -after asking who wanted dessert. Never ask a group of Red Hat ladies, whose informal motto is "eat dessert first," if they want dessert!

• Visited December 2011

San Antonio TX
“Don't waster your time.”
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Visited for lunch yesterday. It was my first time there. I ordered a chicken breast stuffed with spinach and risotto. The chicken tasted like something purchased maybe at Costco and sliced. The spinach was barely visible and the risotto was not creamy like it should be. I took one bite and sent it back. I ordered a bowl of tomato bisque and it tasted like Campbell's.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank pickySanAntonioTX
San Antonio, Texas
“Best Birthday EVER”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Had my grandson's and daughter-in-law's and my birthday here this year. Cannot believe how wonderful it was. Delish with a capital DE. Even my two grandsons 7 & 8 know wonderful cruisine when they taste it. We had almost all of the appetizers which were great. We also had a yummy specialty drink, a mojito and the best Bloody Mary I have ever had. At the end of our celebration we were given a piece of one of the best cheesecakes I have ever eaten for our birthday, without asking. It was all so special and our waitress Elisa was fun, funny and phenomenal. Thanks for a great birthday.

• Visited July 2011
San Antonio, Texas, USA
“Beautiful, contemporary restaurant.”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Watching this restaurant being built, I wondered what on earth they were building on the lot where the old Maggies' restaurant was. Just tried it today and found that the artsy exterior perfectly matches the heavily wooded interior with dramatic contemporary art pieces. Tables are not too close together and there are several seating areas with varying degrees of privacy for lunch meetings. Lots of well-dressed business people, but it's not a stuffy interior. Quite lovely. Lunch was fantastic. I opted for the grilled salmon, mashed potatoes and mixed veggies. Aside from too much butter (loved it, but oh, those calories!), it was divine. The bread with a hint of rosemary was freshly baked and delicious! My friend had the prime rib pannini and loved it. She substituted steamed baby spinach for fries and they graciously charged only the "salad added" price, not the $4.99 that a side of spinach costs. Service was efficient, but not oppressive. Beautiful bar area.

• Visited June 2011
SA TX
“All fluff”
Reviewed June 10, 2011

The renovation is very nice. But the food which we waited for over 30 mins to arrive was luke warm to room temp at best. Others came, ate and left while we waited for our meal. It was so unremarkable, i don't remember what we ate, but it certainly wasn't worth it. Too many other choices here in SA tobother going back.

• Visited May 2011