“Good family place for a nite!”

Holiday Inn San Antonio NW - Seaworld Area
Ranked #65 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Austin, Texas
“Good family place for a nite!”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Nice 3 star hotel! This place had an indoor pool, as well as an outdoor pool, jacuzzi, and pool for toddlers. Though the temperature was warm in early October (90 degrees), the outdoor pool was chilly - my daughter and I enjoyed going from the hot jacuzzi to the cold pool and back again.

I requested beforehand for a refrigerator and a quiet room, and they gave me a very nice room on the 6th floor (not facing the 151 highway) complete with a microwave and refrigerator at no additional cost. The bathroom was large and the bed was very comfortable. Flat screen TV and free wifi. Room was very quiet. The breakfast downstairs was average and was very reasonably priced. The only strange thing was that the place had a somewhat earthy smell - not bad, but different - I have a very sensitive nose, so others may not even notice.

Definitely could come here again if my destination is Sea World - it's very convenient. In my case, I had to go to a Sea World event the following day where I had to bring my own lunch - being able to buy things the night before and keep it refrigerated in my room made it very convenient.

Room Tip: 6th floor (top) has refrigerator and microwaves inside the room - great for familes. Ask for quiet...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank fanatix

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Arabic first
Fort Worth
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Pros: Close to Sea World, free shuttle to Sea World, nice pool with kiddie pool

Cons: they hosted a dog club so there were lots of barking, peeing dogs everywhere, the elevator gets filthy, the tile in the indoor pool is very slick and dangerous

Overall: would probably consider staying again

• Stayed September 2012
Fresno
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I recently visited San Antonio Texas for the first time ever. I stayed here at the Holiday inn Express and wow, I honestly was shocked. I work in the sales department for a 5 star hotel in California, so my expectaions are high. I was the most pleased by the front desk staff, every single one of them were amazing, and so helpful. I know that it's not an easy job working in customer service and they did everything they could to accomodate my every need. The room was nice, very basic. The house cleaning staff were great, and paid attention to details while servicing my room. From what I heard, the breakfast was good. I would absolutely stay here again because it felt like I was home. This trip was VERY important, and knowing that I didn't have to worry about the hotel was a huge relief! Thank you Holiday Inn staff!

Room Tip: I stayed in the 2 queen room. It was basic, but nice.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Texas in August requires little more explanation than the title of this review. I am not sure who the master mind behind this is but there should at least be a max temp the room is not allowed to rise above. You have to have your room key in the key holder inside the door for the lights and AC to run. Wow short sided and will keep this hotel off of our list.

Our first room was dirty and had not been cleaned and though we got a new room right away this set the tone for a bad stay. Their system needs to be revamped or processes reviewed as this should not happen.

NEVER and I mean NEVER pay for the breakfast!! Not because of the food because I never tasted that but because of the 200 kids playing in the buffet and the line out the restaurant door. Would have ordered off the menu but after waiting ten minutes to be seated we gave up and had breakfast a SONIC.... YUCK

Room Tip: Stay on the sixth floor or you will hear the thunder of little feet pounding above your head as they...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio NW - Seaworld Area, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Jim G,

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to hear about your recent stay with us. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused by our air conditioning unit and the initial issues with your room accommodation. I apologize that you received service that was less than satisfactory at breakfast. The Holiday Inn San Antonio NW - Seaworld Area is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. We sincerely regret that we fell short of our goal in this instance.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Mustang, Oklahoma, USA
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Great place to stay, clean, friendly, new hotel.

Disappointed because we used "Name your price" to book hotel, called hotel to request 2 double beds because our granddaughter was with us. I was told if I wanted to "change" my reservation I would be charged $10 per night. The hotel web site shows the same price or less for 2 queen beds versus 1 king bed.

We were offered a roll away bed at no charge.

This is the first time I have encountered an extra charge when requesting 2 beds at a hotel, especially near a family friendly attraction as Seaworld. If your request a king bed will they charge you to "change" your reservation?

1 Thank goodwrench3
Mesquite, Texas
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is a good hotel. Rooms and lobby are nice. Small rooms but nice. The weekend pm shift are not too friendly. They aren't mean, but indifferent to your needs. I asked for more coffee and sugar and was asked many questions on why I was needing an additional coffee. And made me go to their restaurant and ask them for some there, instead of "him" getting it for me. Not very helpful. Needed an extra towel and decided not to ask for one, afraid of the 100 questions awaiting. Hotel nice, staff okay.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hotel claims to be Holiday Inn’s "official SeaWorld San Antonio hotel." It offers a nice stay and is convenient to Sea World, Lackland AFB, and Fiesta Texas. The River Walk, Alamo, Downtown area is just a 20 minute drive.

Note this review is positive. None of the items stated would prevent us from staying here again although the hotel should take the feedback and apply a continuous improvement process review for each. We just found these items to be quirks of the hotel which needed to be communicated to you.

Pros: This new (built in the last 2 years according to the front desk) hotel offers free Internet, a business center, and several pools (indoor, outdoor, and kid's pool). It is a 5 minute drive to Sea World and most of that time is consumed with traffic lights. So the drive to Sea World is fast and convenient or if you prefer not to pay the $15 Sea World parking fee there is a Holiday Inn hotel shuttle that you sign up for to take you to/from the park.

The staff is friendly, well informed, and helpful. The hotel indicated they did not have a local attractions/restaurant list (something that should be typical of a “vacation” type hotel) but the front desk was helpful in finding what we wanted - they even offered to print out a list of show times for the local movie theater.

Rooms are spacious, modern, and eco-friendly. The beds are large and inviting. The towels seemed clean as did the room.

Common areas are big and welcoming if a bit minimalist with furnishings and decorations. There is a "sports grill/bar" in the lobby of the hotel. We dined at the restaurant each morning and had the buffet which seemed to be a fairly good option considering the price vs. what was offered.

Cons: When we arrived in the room, we noticed that one of the beds had several quarter-sized dark smudges on them. Not sure if this bed was not re-made from the prior guest or if the sheets got through the system somehow, although it really was evident. We called the front desk, they apologized, and within 15 minute they sent up two staff with a new set of sheets to strip the entire bed and remake it.

The restaurant is slow especially since it is buffet style in the mornings. So go in knowing you will wait for your drinks and your check.

Parking is a mess. There are too few spots for the number of guests and the parking lot lighting is too dim. Return to the hotel later in the evening and expect to park in an unpaved lot in front of the hotel. A front desk employee told us there was a plan to pave that area as an addition to the current parking lot but that the hotel just hasn't gotten around to doing so. After two years in business the hotel should have at least put out some stabilized rock and leveled that area.

Be prepared: The hotel is eco friendly which is cool but not without its cautions.
You must turn on the lights/AC, etc by sliding your room key into an energy management "switch" once you enter the room. Ask for an additional key to leave in the energy management switch if you want to return to a cool room in the afternoon. Otherwise if you pull the key out the electricity does not stay on - lights go out and the AC turns off.

Room lights are dim, which we found gave the room a cozy feel but the bathroom is no place for poor lighting. Showering in low lighting is fine but they really need to add additional CFL's in the bathroom so that shaving and putting on makeup is easier.

Hot water is more warm than hot. And, you will be disappointed if you like an invigorating shower since the water flow is regulated which means the shower spray is more mist-like and less like a stream. To turn on the shower head you PULL the ring below the tub nozzle - a trick that the front desk warned us about since they get many confused calls about it.

Room Tip: Try and get a room of that looks over the open field. We saw rabbits and deer feeding each morning...
1 Thank ALTravellor