“Great Hotel bad Restuarant”

Holiday Inn San Antonio NW - Seaworld Area
Ranked #46 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed March 24, 2011

The hotel was a great bargain for the price. I was in a King room and asked to add a roll-a-way bed. The front desk was very busy upon check-in during Spring Break week. When I checked in I was told my room was ready with the roll-a-way that I requested during reservations a month prior.
The room was nice and spacious for the three of us. The water is soft and leaves skin feeling like silk after a shower.
Downside to the hotel is the elevators THEY ARE SO SLOW. You could walk down the 3 flights of stairs before the elevator arrives to your floor. I was on the 4th floor going and waiting to go to lobby--the elevator finally arrived after what seemed like 5 minutes or more--it picked me up and then went to floor 3 and then back up to floor 5 and floor 6 and then finally to the lobby. This happen way to often. It moves to slow between floors.
The restaurant...Sporting News: We visited the onsite eatery the first night of our trip. After being seated it took 10 minutes to get water and lemonade. Once we received the drinks we ordered Kids meal Pizza with fries and chicken tenders with fries and I asked for the grilled chicken sandwich on wheat. After a full 42 minutes of waiting the trash arrived. The pizza was a frozen pizza that you can get from walmart with two in a box small round thick crust and the chicken tenders looked like they fried way too hard. My chicken sandwich tasted like cardboard. I advised the waitress of the disgust with the food and she offered to get me something else and I refused. Food doesn't get any worse than that. My kids were totally displeased as well.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed March 6, 2011

First off, for the money I paid, the value was good. Sadly, I apparently made a mistake and have a VERY long commute this week to work (again, my fault).
The thing that has me IRATE, is that they say that they are green hotel...and this is what I found.
It is true they have two trashcans at the elevator midways on each floor that has a recycling can for glass and plastic, as well as one for waste...BUT when I called up the front desk to find out if I leave my comingled trash do they seperate them I was told NO!!!
So if they make US to do all the work..lugging my trash in the morning to these receptacles, I totally feel that this hotel is not totally green.
This brings another problem....they have only ONE vey small trash receptacle located in the bathroom. EVERY day I had to carry my trash out.
They have some unique features to get the LEED certification, but lacks that eco-oriented attitude that sadly most all of Texas is so backward to.
Do NOT go here for the ;greeness'. Kermit would be sad

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 3, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights while in town to see our nephew graduate from USAF Basic Training. We selected this location because it was a Top Secret Room offered on Travelocity and the price was right. The hotel is on a large highway so we asked for a room on the back. The area is not very developed. The Sea World entrance is just across the highway.There is an apartment complex behind the hotel but it is located far enough that you cannot see in windows. The staff was accommodating and helpful. We had booked a King room but asked for double beds upon check-in. The room and the bathroom were very large, handicap accessible and included a refrigerator, microwave and coffee pot. I used the gym and found it satisfactory. There is a restaurant on the premises however it was a little pricey for average food. There is a shopping center a couple of miles south where there are plenty of places for food including a couple of places for breakfast. Overall a great experience for the price I paid. If I had paid more I would have been satisfied with the value.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2011

We loved the cleanliness and decor of this rather upscale looking Holiday Inn, it is IMPRESSIVE! But the experience inside of the Sporting News restaurant blew the whole feeling about this place for me. Wait staff is good, just leaving it to bad management.

If you just stay there you will love it! But find somewhere else to eat, there's LOTS of very friendly places that are around here!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2011

First, as other guest keep posting, there is little parking and paying guests are forced to park in dirt fields. Really bad when it rains.

Stayed three nights. Each night at two a.m., hotel fills up with drunk, loud men returning from bars. We experienced fights in the halls and yelling each night. Called police one night but they said it was a hotel matter. This hotel has no paid security at night. The night manager (Holly) said she is alone and well not come up to floors by herself at night. This leaves the guests to defend themselves.

The next night a drunk guest would not let his roommate in the door. After an hour of fighting the general manager of the hotel shows up at three a.m. Instead of finding a room for the drunk in the hall, he brings up tools and makes more noise trying to get the door open.

Very poor management and the worst hotel security policies I have seen in my thirty years of travel. Stay away from this danger zone, especially if you have children or value sleep.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bluefive5
Reviewed January 2, 2011

The rooms were nice and clean. The beds were comfy. The hotel is newer. There was a small indoor pool (fun in January), and nice work out room. There was a shuttle bus to sea world. It seemed that most guests were families headed to sea world. It was a safe, family friendly hotel. I will probably stay here again on our next trip. Negative is: Parking lot is small and many cars were parked on a grass field which could be an issue for some people.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank 3ofakine
Reviewed November 5, 2010

First, the good ...
The rooms are pretty nice, not those old out-dated Holiday Inn. It is SO close to Seaworld. It is perfect for family with young or old family members who can't do a whole day of activities in Seaworld and needs a break/nap.

Now, the bad:
I called the hotel the day after my reservation. Put on hold 3 times. When the guy finally had time to talk to me, he said "OK. What do you want?"!! Hmmm. I told him that I booked 2 rooms, and would like (1) at least 1 room with 2 beds and (2) the two rooms to be together. When we arrived, there was not a record of my call or request. We ended up having 2 rooms on the opposite ends of the same floor.

The maids did not seem to like to re-stock items for the room. We started with 4 shower towels in the room, then reduced to 2 towels. We went to front desk to ask for extra towels and were told they would be delivered to our room (extra tip on top of what we already left in the room for the maid). The coffee, tea, sugar, etc. were also not restocked. It seemed to me that we had to ask for something should have been available in the room every day.

After we came home, we found out $3 was charged to our credit card. Called the hotel and the woman on the phone said she had no ideas (just like us) what the charge was for. We were told it will be refunded ... we will see.

I'd recommend this hotel only for its location and family friendly.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family