“Excellent Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #28 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
“Excellent Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Historic hotel that has been recently renovated. Our room was a little small for two adults and two children, but the view was fantastic. Directly overlooking the Alamo. Only a block to Riverwalk and short walk to other downtown locations. Good value for the price.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Crown Point, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Beautiful, historic hotel overlooking the Alamo and just a short walk to the Riverwalk. You thus have all the benefits of being near the action, without the noise and crowds at night, The Lobby area is great, and the Bar/Restaurant are too, with an excellent breakfast buffet. The outdoor heated pool and hot tub is a nice place to relax after a day of seeing the sights. Ask for a room overlooking he Alamo - great view of the Alamo and the City.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a view of he Alamo - it's worth it.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CJohnsonGM, General Manager at The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Greg B,

Our location is actually on the battlefield for the battle of the Alamo. It's amazing to think that 176 years ago this legendary event took place right here, yet we are a stone's throw to all that there is to do in San Antonio.

We all appreciate your feedback, and we look forward to having you back as our guest.

San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

The hotel was just taken over by Doubletree by Hilton. It is also the official hotel of The Alamo, which is a honor in itself. They just spent millions on renovations and the new rooms have a great modern feel.

When I was there, the staff was very helpful. Johnny the valet captain is wonderful and the bar and restaurant staff is very friendly and always smiling.

The location is truly a benefit, just steps from the Alamo and central to the River Walk and shopping malls downtown. Best of all, you get to mix in with many locals who work and also play downtown.

The food at their in-house restaurant ORO is extremely good. The ambience is posh is award-winning. Their chef, Chris Cook, has created a wonderful seasonal menu which includes delicious seabass dishes, sea-inspired soups, and crab cakes which rival the orginals from Maine! Even if you don't stay at the Emily Morgan, their restaurant and bar make a great stop if you are in the downtown area. If you are staying there on a Thursday, they have a fun "Psychic Happy Hour" with drink and app specials as well as a live musical band. Of course, you guessed it, there is a psychic there too giving free psychic readings.

Overall, the hotel is going through changes but they are positive changes and you won't be disappointed. It is definitely a landmark in the city of San Antonio and a great place to stay and enjoy the heart of city.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room near the top and facing the Alamo if possible.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lorddominici,

Thank you for staying with us, and for the outstanding review on our hotel, team, and food. The changes to the hotel with our new renovations, and conversion to a soft branded DoubleTree by Hilton are as sweet as the world famous DoubleTree warm chocolate chip cookie with walnuts.

Hurry back!

Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

So glad I chose this hotel. It was a beautiful, historic building, right next to the Alamo, and very close to the Riverwalk. The staff were very nice, and the room was more than adequate for two. Very clean and comfortable. The price was reasonable too, considering the perfect location. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LMVCatonsville
CJohnsonGM, General Manager at The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
LMVCatonsville,

Thank you so much for your recommendation, and for your comments on the team and building! I have shared your comments with our departments today, and it put a lot of smiles on faces.

Thanks for being our guest in this amazing city of San Antonio.

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Pet friendly bonus! This amazingly historic hotel is insanely perfect! I booked it because it was pet friendly AND near the RiverWalk, AND tossing in The Alamo right there, seemed fabulous! To find out it was also haunted, made me wish I was staying way longer than one night! Entering our end room, we loved the HUGE windows which provided us with killer views and the decor was seriously decked out in style. Since we were traveling with my son's dog and had arrived late, we chose to take food to the room and all three of us found our choices the perfect portions and enjoyable. Waking early, we discovered The Alamo and wove our way down along the River Walk...seriously realizing we need to return and spend more time. I usually go to places and think its going to be as great as my mind thinks it is going to be, only to somehow feel slightly like it is not....This place truly made me want more....more time...In my haste to explore, I forgot to pack a cloth bag that holds my treasures, some necklaces, some crystals and other special trinkets that always are under my pillow whether home or on travel. I called the hotel after leaving and realizing my error and probably sounded like a frantic crazy woman seeking the discovery of my personal private treasures.The staff was so helpful and of course found them and I received a callback from a helpful kind man who would arrange to FedEx my property back to me. I am grateful and hope the hotel staff knows how much their kindness and understanding meant to me. I have ZERO complaints...both valet guys were prompt and professional and paying money to park is the norm these days, no need to complain there either. I say this all the time, but it's true and I feel this hotel has it down: You may not remember what people say, but you always remember how they make you feel.....My thanks to the staff...Job well done and is I will return again!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in 714, it was on the end and fabulously decorated!
1 Thank Chrys P
CJohnsonGM, General Manager at The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Chrys P,

Thank you for pointing out the details of your stay, and our team's performance. It is very kind of you to take the time to share your experience. I am glad we were able to get back your treasures, and I have passed along your comments to the entire housekeeping team.

Thank you again for staying with us, as we do know there are quite a few options in the San Antonio hotel market.

Plano, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Loved the room, it was clean and very large. The bed wasn't as comfy as I would have hoped with this type of hotel. The sofa bed for the kids wasn't stellar either both complained their backs hurt and they are 10 and 7. The shower pressure wasn't great but I considered that its an older hotel. The front desk staff was not good, we arrived early (30 min) and asked if our room was ready. Rooms I was told on the phone would be ready by 3pm. So we waited and then went to ask after 3pm, our room still wasn't ready, in fact we were told none of the rooms had been released from housekeeping. So we were told to go to the bar for a free drink while we waited, so we did. We had kids so we sat at booth near the bar, not one person in 30 minutes waited on us while we were sitting there my daughter fell asleep while we waited. I was told by my husband that the staff would get us once the room was ready after 30 minutes I told him I was checking on it, it was ready and had been ready but the front staff didn't want to disturb us from having our drinks???? I told him we didn't get anything since no one waited on us. I got our keys and went to the room, no free nothing for having to wait and the only excuse he gave me was that the restuarant is closed. Funny thing people were eating in the restuarant when he said that and in the room there is a broshure that states that the restuarant is open from 11am to 5pm???? You would think they would know when their place was open. The parking staff and baggage people were top notch, I just wish everything else was. Aside from all of this I loved the hotel, if they could make some changes to staff, policies, beds and water pressure then maybe this hotel would rate a 4.5!! Location was great its right across from the Alamo, if you want a less touristy place to eat I recommend driving a bit north and going to a shopping center with lots of restuarants, shops and movie theather nearby.

Room Tip: ask for a handicap room they are large.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank constanttraveler25
constanttraveler25,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I apologize for our errors, in fact, these few reviews in a row were all from the same day, a day in which we just did not exceed our guest's expectations.

I have shared your comments with the team in our daily huddles, and we have discussed how we could have better met your expecations.

Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have you back as our guest, to have the opportunity to deliver on our promise.

Temple, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Our first experience was valet service. It was difficult to get someone's attention. We arrived around 3:15, and had to wait about 30 minutes for a room. I tried the margarita at the bar to see if it was truly the best one in San Antonio, like it claimed. It was okay, but I had two others during my stay that were much better elsewhere. When I called earlier to make my reservation, they promised me a rollaway. When I arrived, I reminded them, a few times. No rollaway. I finally took my problem to the manager, and for such a young guy, "Angel" assured me he'd make it right, and found us a rollaway at another property. The chef had inquired about the situation and asked us to have dinner on him if we did not get our issue resolved. So, they were very kind at the front desk, and I would probably give them a 3, if it hadn't been for them. We ate dinner at Oro one evening. The food was fabulous! The ambiance was nice and the wine selection was quite good for the price. We attempted to go there for breakfast the next day, but they were packed, and no room. Beds were very comfortable, but the maids forgot to leave us shampoo and soap for the following day. I guess they were in a hurry. We had an excellent view of the Alamo from our 11th floor room. The architecture on the building was impressive. The hotel does not come with extras, such as a pool or workout room, but the location is great. If you don't enjoy crowds, don't come to San Antonio on spring break/St. Patrick's Day weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for an Alamo view.
1 Thank patticakesTemple_TX
CJohnsonGM, General Manager at The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
patticakesTemple_TX,

I am so sorry we did not have the rollaway for you upon your arrival. With the many requests we had over the weekend, we just didn't have enough on property. Thank you for recognizing Angel's efforts, and the Chef's food.

We do offer a very unique stainless steel pool, and hot tub on our second floor, along with a state of the art fitness center with the newest Precor machines.

Thank you for staying with us, and we again are sorry for not having your rollaway as requested.