“We went during spring break, so everything was busy and slow...”

The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #25 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Our first experience was valet service. It was difficult to get someone's attention. We arrived around 3:15, and had to wait about 30 minutes for a room. I tried the margarita at the bar to see if it was truly the best one in San Antonio, like it claimed. It was okay, but I had two others during my stay that were much better elsewhere. When I called earlier to make my reservation, they promised me a rollaway. When I arrived, I reminded them, a few times. No rollaway. I finally took my problem to the manager, and for such a young guy, "Angel" assured me he'd make it right, and found us a rollaway at another property. The chef had inquired about the situation and asked us to have dinner on him if we did not get our issue resolved. So, they were very kind at the front desk, and I would probably give them a 3, if it hadn't been for them. We ate dinner at Oro one evening. The food was fabulous! The ambiance was nice and the wine selection was quite good for the price. We attempted to go there for breakfast the next day, but they were packed, and no room. Beds were very comfortable, but the maids forgot to leave us shampoo and soap for the following day. I guess they were in a hurry. We had an excellent view of the Alamo from our 11th floor room. The architecture on the building was impressive. The hotel does not come with extras, such as a pool or workout room, but the location is great. If you don't enjoy crowds, don't come to San Antonio on spring break/St. Patrick's Day weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for an Alamo view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank patticakesTemple_TX
CJohnsonGM, General Manager at The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

patticakesTemple_TX,

I am so sorry we did not have the rollaway for you upon your arrival. With the many requests we had over the weekend, we just didn't have enough on property. Thank you for recognizing Angel's efforts, and the Chef's food.

We do offer a very unique stainless steel pool, and hot tub on our second floor, along with a state of the art fitness center with the newest Precor machines.

Thank you for staying with us, and we again are sorry for not having your rollaway as requested.

There are newer reviews for The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton

Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

First off, the location of this place can't be beat. It's right across the stress from the Alamo, and there's a good chance you'll get a room overlooking the historical landmark.

Be prepared to add another $30 per night onto your per night price, because the valet is mandatory. Either $30 per night for valet or $15 every 12 hours for self park. Obviously they're getting $30 a night from you one way or another.

The rooms are really nice and clean. The tub was literally sparkling. Also, the beds are super comfortable.

My biggest disappointment was the breakfast in the morning. We ate at the Oro Restaurant in the lobby. I got the $14.50 buffet. I expected a breakfast that was worth almost $15, and what I got was far from it. They were very slow to refill the selections, and the quality was no better than the FREE breakfasts you get at Hampton Inn.

1  Thank Mryanwalker

Mryanwalker,

I would like to apologze for the breakfast experience in ORO. That is very atypical of our restaurant, however, we did not do a good job in keeping up with the volume of business that morning. We got a bit behind with the spring break crowds, and for that, I am terribly sorry.

Parking downtown is not an easy, or inexpensive task I agree. We unfortunately do not have a parking lot ourselves, so we contract that out, and yes, it is up there with many of the major markets parking prices.

General Manger

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Excellent hotel, very close to everything. Our view was perfect, service excellent, hotel clean and beautiful. Now this is where it gets weird and why I'm not sure I would come back. I don't believe in ghosts, but it was really weird in our room. Voices, noises, the iPad talking to the iphone. Things moving into new locations overnight. So, I guess if you are ghost hunting, this is the perfect hotel. Needing a night without drama? Might want to rethink this one.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tracy F

Tracy F,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We do sometimes have folks who say they have experienced some strange occurances. I have stayed here many times myself, and have been at the property for three years now, and have yet to experience any interesting events.

I do appreciate your comments about the team, the location, and the cleanliness of the hotel, and would look forward to having you back as our guest.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Although the rooms are nice and the location is great, I was not pleased with the service.

The website boasts about being pet-friendly though the only patch of grass is several building lengths away. No special attention was paid to our dog.

An hour or so after arriving we had to call maintenance to fix the air conditioning because the room would not cool off. He had to come back a second time because the seal in the bath tub drain was broken and would not hold water. Luckily, he was able to fix both issues quickly.

Worst of all, though, is the valet. It is 28.00 each night and the wait each time was terrible. We would call ahead from our room and still have to wait 15 minutes before our car would arrive. They definitely need more valet attendants.

The circumstances may be different in off-peak times (we went during Spring Break).

1  Thank Llong0721

Llong0721,

I do apologize for not exceeding your expectations with your stay. We should have done a better job executing our pet amenity program, and I did share this with the team. Grass on the other hand, is not as available downtown as we would like.

I am sorry you experienced issues with your AC, and tub, and thank you for being patient with us in getting them fixed.

We do appreciate your choosing us while in San Antonio.

Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Convienent location to river walk attractions. Good happy hour. Large bathrooms and comfy beds. Room service was prompt.
Located a stones throw from the Alamo, trolly, Rivercenter Mall, and all river walk restaurants.

Negative- $28/day valet parking or $22/ day self park.

2  Thank Hollie R
CJohnsonGM, General Manager at The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Hollie R,

I couldn't have said it better myself! Thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The restaurant's food was very good, and the server offered a free dish due to slow service (the restaurant was busier than expected mid-week). Each member of the staff was helpful, and the rooms have been nicely remodeled since my last stay there. Being able to take advantage of the HHonors benefits is a nice addition to this property.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jonathan E

Jonathan E,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am sorry we were a bit behind in the restaurant, but I am glad you enjoyed the food. I think our Chef Chris Cook, is the best in the city, hands down.

Please come back and see us the next time you are in San Antonio.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Our overall stay at the hotel was a good one. The front desk and restaurant/bar staff were great and very helpful. The hotel itself is very beautiful, great decor...etc. The location is great, especially since it's right next the Alamo which I personally found very neat. The only reason I didn't give them an excellent review was the size of the room. We were placed in a very small room, I thought for the price it was a little too small. So take caution, double check the size of the room you get.

Room Tip: Check the room size.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
CJohnsonGM, General Manager at The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Roja73,

Being an Iconic building with immense historical importance does mean that our footprint by room varies. I would wholeheartedly recommend our larger king rooms with a sofa/sleeper, or our double bedded rooms, which are both quite large in scale to your typical cookie cutter hotel rooms.

Thank you for staying with us, and we are all glad you thoroughly enjoyed your stay.

Chris Johnson'