“Sadly not worth it...”

The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #25 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Upon arrival (1:30) we were greatly warmly greeted by the bellman and informed that our rooms were not quit ready. Not a problem! We checked in our bags and were off to enjoy the beautiful weather.
When we returned at 6 to check in we learned from a very hostile and clearly aggravated front desk attendant that only one of our rooms was ready and it would be 30-45 minutes before our second room would be ready. Again, not a problem. We took our cookies and sat in the lobby and waited and chatted with others who had been patiently waiting for 2 hours for their room!! After 45 minutes we returned to ask if our room was ready and this time a hotel manger informed us that house keeping was behind and we like everyone else would have to wait. Needless to say this did not sit well. How is this my fault that you are 3.5 hours past check in and our room is still not available?! A few strong words were exchanged and magically a room became available.

Upon arrival in one of our rooms it was clear that housekeeping was most defiantly behind and cutting corners. The room was thrown together and the towels had long black hairs attached to them and a/c unit wasn't working properly. The front desk was in no way apologetic but finally sent up new towels and someone to fix the a/c.

They are either understaffed or in need of a hospitality staff attitude adjustment. It's truly a shame that such a beautiful place can be tainted by less than enthusiastic team members. Their only saving grace is the location, the friendly bartender, and the awesome bellman.

Defiantly not worth the money. :(

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Dottie1210
CJohnsonGM, General Manager at The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Dottie1210,

You couldn't have titled it any better. Believe me this is not how we typically perform. We had a really bad day... We had too much group, that all checked out late, and we just couldn't get the rooms ready in a timely, and detailed manner.

I accept full responsibility for our really weak performance, and whole heartedly apologize for the wait, the mediocre service, and the lack of attention to detail on cleanliness. We actually are in the top ten in the DoubleTree by Hilton brand in cleanliness scoring, and take great pride in our cleanliness efforts.

No other way to say it, we blew it, and for that we all apologize.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

The Emily Morgan, our friendly haunted hotel, was a pleasure to stay at... Nick and Angel, front desk managers, are top notch in their field. The hotel is lovely, super clean, chic, and quiet. We were treated with care and warm delicious cookies- from the moment we drove up, the staff is very attentive and goes the extra mile for everyone. We were not special- we watched all treated kindly. The hotel is purportedly haunted- that was fun! Google the history of this beautiful hotel. It's architecture is stunning, is situated next to the Alamo, and a few blocks from the River Walk.
The best restaurant around for authentic Mexican food is Rosario's. ask for directions.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are more spacious. 7th and 9th floor are haunted! Enjoy.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
CJohnsonGM, General Manager at The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

mng1987,

Thank you for the kind words about the hotel, and our friendly ghosts. I agree, I do love me some Rosarios!!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Hello, I booked with priceline , I am currently writing this review in room 511 at the moment. when we got here we were taken away by the kindness and charm of the lobby, as soon as we got to our room it was a HUGE disappointment. First of all we were promised two queen sized beds, I checked the dimensions and they both are 54x70 which is a full size bed.Next we found dirty water in our tub ,toiletries were missing ,there was water damage on the corner of the tub with a peeling ceiling I took photos of that and I will email to corporate. Secondly there was only one robe in the closet which still hasn't been delivered,we asked for a bucket for some drinks 30 minutes ago and still a no show. Food was good but alittle cold. I brought this to the attention of management (nathan) and he was very apologetic but seemed like he dismissed our complaints. maintenance came in and saw the damage to the ceiling so he is a witness as well on that matter. I feel let down and to be honest I had a better stay at The Amarillo Inn (tx) which is no were near a 4 star. I had high expectations for this place, but the way things are going It makes me feel i do not want to return ever again or recommend.I am in SA for business alot and this is by far the worst experience ever,I NEVER want aa freebie but this is making me want to march down and demand a refund or a complimentary weekend stay thats how disappointed I am. I left a message to C. Johnson on his cell so lets hope he can get back to me ASAP on this matter. Case in point it looks like I will not be returning to this place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Liza C,

I wanted to apologize sincerely for your experience, we made a number of mistakes that are not typical of our operation. Thank you for giving me a call, that's why I put my cell phone in the room.

We are looking forward to having you back as my guest, and I promise the team and the hotel will exceed your expectations.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Wow! Six years ago I booked this hotel via priceline and stayed there, it was okay for the price. This weekend I booked this hotel via priceline and stayed there, WOW! I am impressed. Little did I know they just reopened around Jan. 1 and are now a DoubleTree. Obviously that means you are going to be greeted with a warm Chocolate Chip cookie upon arrival, but it doesn't stop there. I stayed on a Thursday night, their happy hour that night included complimentary massages. Very nice touch. It also included free physic readings - I wish they would lose that part of it. The lobby was beautifully done, the bar was packed full of people. The rooms are much nicer than I remembered. Upon check in we requested, and were given, a room with an Alamo view. We watched the sun set over San Antonio, the sky was gorgeous, downtown looks great from the vantage point. . The bathrooms sort of have a "W Hotel" feel to them. The staff seemed to appreciate having me as a customer, something I rarely see anymore.
Will I be back, I sure hope so.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Alamo.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
CJohnsonGM, Manager at The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Interactiveguy,

Thank you so much for recognizing the team! We do have great new rooms, awesome warm chocolate chip cookies with walnuts, all new lobby, restaurant and public space, but from all of us here, it's your feedback about our CARING culture of service that makes us smile.

Thank you so much for staying, and for taking time from your day to share your experience.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Traveling thru San Antonio we booked one night thru Price Line and would have enjoyed staying longer. From the warm cookies at checking to the live music during happy hour at the "vintage" bar, everything exceeded expectations for the price. We stayed in 603 which was a larger corner room overlooking the Alamo Plaza. The room was tastefully updated and very clean. Even had a small library in room. Good location across the street from the river walk so quieter than being on the river. We've stayed at La Mansion, Palaico Del Rio, Westin & more but this was by far the best value. The pool isn't much but that's what you find in most downtown hotels.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

DallasBchbum,

We are all so glad you were able to stay with us, and quite pleased you enjoyed yourself. With our recent conversion to DoubleTree by Hilton, I must agree that one of my favorite things is a warm chocolate chip cookie with walnuts!

The L&M's are a very good happy hour band, how can you beat the Eagles, Beatles, JT, and their entire set list of great tunes.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your stay!

Reviewed February 2, 2013

This hotel is in a great location! I was so excited that it was next to the alamo and a short walk from the River Walk and mall area. We got in on a thursday and took advantage of the free psychic reading and happy hour. We also came for the haunted reputation but nothing spooky happened on our trip. The only recommendation I would have is just to suck it up and valet park your car. We thought we were smart and saving money by parking in a lot. Funny our meter expired at 5am and I had to get out of bed and put more money in...all for like a $5 savings? not worth it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
CJohnsonGM, Manager at The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

deardementia,

We do have an incredible location, on the grounds of the battlefield. Unfortunately, parking isn't an easy deal downtown, and most hotels do charge for overnight guests.

We are glad you were able to experience our Psychic Happy Hour, as ORO was voted the best happy hour by San Antonio Magazine last year.

We thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I LOVE SAN ANTONIO. My family spent 4 days at the Emily Morgan Hotel next to the Alamo, one block from the Riverwalk. I will recommend this hotel to everyone. My husband and I are going back this coming summer. Awesome place, friendly people everywhere. If you are planning to go to San Antonio, this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask the front desk for a room with a view to the Alamo. You will enjoy that
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank JeannetteEcru
CJohnsonGM, General Manager at The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

JeannetteEcru,

We look forward to having you back this summer, and for taking the time to share your experience!