“One of a kind”

The Fairmount
Ranked #194 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
“One of a kind”
Reviewed March 24, 2006

My wife and I were recommended The Fairmount by a friend we were visiting in San Antonio. We assumed that a local resident would know. This was our first time in San Antonio; we liked the city and of course the beautiful Riverwalk, but we absolutely loved this one of a kind little hotel, and its history (apparently the whole building was moved from another location some years ago!). The room was beyond our expecations (the "Golf Suite"). We talked to the manager, Denise, who was very professional and accommodating, and she showed us another two suites (the hotel was full so we couldn't see any more, to our great disappointment). It seems that every room is completely different, and truly beautiful. My wife is an interior designer and was very impressed. We also loved the staff and especially Atiene (?) our Concierge. Was a charming and happy man. It was contagious and seemed to reflect the feeling of the whole place. The entire hotel exuded calm, class, charm and friendliness. We paid about $250 for our room, we thought it was expensive when we made the reservation, but now we know why; it was worth every penny and we will definitely come back. P.S. The Italian dinner was also excellent (I had Veal Raviolli and my wife had Salmon Putanesca, very good, but the Tiramisu was the best we ever had). Don't know when we'll return to San Antonio, but if we do, we definitely stay at The Fairmount.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed March 1, 2006

My husband and I go to San Antonio a few times a year and we like to stay at The Fairmount -whenever they have rooms open since it is a small hotel. We love the quiet location, the atmosphere, the beautiful rooms and friendly staff. We definitely recommend it. We have tried other hotels but there is something very special about this beautiful little hotel that just never gets old, even though it is a historic building!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 22, 2006

I travel on business regularly and I stay at hotels all over the country and sometimes overseas as well. I had stayed at The Fairmount a couple of years ago and I was left with a very lukewarm impression of another "wannabe" boutique hotel, never intending to return. However last week it was recommended to me by my secretary and was asked to try it again. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! This is an amazing metamorphosis, it's like another hotel altogether and I was very impressed. In fact I stayed another day into the weekend to have time to enjoy it more fully. I had room 214 which had a Nautical theme. Well done, tasteful but definitely with a personality, away from the bland institutional feeling of most hotels. I peeked into a few other rooms while walking in the hallways an realized that every room is different and beautiful. Obviously a major renovation has been done. The hotel was impeccable and the employees were great. The food was absolutely fantastic. I entertained some clients at a business dinner and was very pleased with the experience. I only bad thing I have to say is that I am afraid this place is going to be full every time I come back to San Antonio!

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank Austin_TexasSerge
Reviewed February 20, 2006

Everything was fantasticT
From the reservation to the cashout everything was perfect, the room 214 was beautiful.
My wife and myself had a very good time.
Thank you to everybody at the Fairmount.
Linda & Cedric Guerin

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 18, 2006

My husband and I were recommended by his business partners to try The Fairmount next time we went to San Antonio. We have traveled all over the world, especially Europe and frankly we would rank this little jewel along with some of the best. Although it is not right on the RiverWalk (we almost didn't book it because of that),it is only 1/2 a block away and next to La Villita which is a quaint and very charming villa/market/arts gallery? We loved the location, the charm, delightful elegance, and especially the pleasant eagerness of the hotel staff. Without exception, everyone seemed happy working there and seemed to truly enjoy their respective jobs (always a sign of a good hotel, we think. Happy employees equal happy customers). Their Italian restaurant SAGE(?) was a bit stark but the food was truly excellent; we will defintely return. Our room (206) was interesting, beautiful, well appointed, large, comfortable and impeccable. Not your typical boring hotel room. It really felt like we were back in Europe. Our only complaint was that carpet along the hallways and stairs seemed a bit tired, and there was no excercise facility. But we will definitely recommend it highly and plan to return!

8 Thank Steiner13
Melbourne
Reviewed February 13, 2006

Am I the only one who loved this hotel ? Ok I must admit that I was with the wedding party from next posting and I admit that would have seemed to be unfair to be promised something and not delivered but onto the review.

Our party of four had two rooms (201 and 216) and we arrived at midnight. Jacob, the bell hop (???) was waiting for us at the door greeting us by our family name and patiently waited for us to get organised. Never in any hotel had we been treated so politely and generously. Thank you Jacob.

Our initial reaction to our rooms where OMG! (Oh my God!). 201 faces the street and had two large rooms. The first room has a couch, coffe table and chairs to sit, relax, watch tv or work. The second room had an enormous 4 post king size bed. Smooth jaz was playing on our radio. Then there was the shower/bath room, all clean modern, just the way you want it.
Every attention to detail was catered for. From the decor, furniture and fittings, right through to the cleanliness. First class.

216 was no different. It faces away from the streets and court yard, but no less magnificent. The staff were courteous, and helpful. Little things such as making sure the right size taxi was ordered (we had a lot of luggage!). The bar stayed open late.

Maybe it was the wedding that did it. I don't know ?

Would never complain about this hotel ever.

• Stayed January 2006
5 Thank Larry B
Reviewed January 28, 2006

I was the VICTIM of the worst scam possible at this hotel. I booked 3 nights. After my second night I was contacted and pulled away from an important business mtg and told I had to vacate due to a serious plumbing problem. 2 hours later I returned to the hotel because in my rush to move out to another hotel I forgot an item. On returning I learned that there never was a plumbing problem, but I had been lied to because the hotel overbooked their rooms and needed my room for a wedding party they had promised the entire floor to. The staff then confided in me that their General Manager does this sort of thing to people all the time, and that they were ordered to lie to me, instead of telling the truth!

Had I been told on arrival that I could not have 3 nights and assisted to another hotel then I would have understood, but instead I was lied to and pulled away from an important meeting and told it was an emergency - while in fact there was never any emergency. This is a despicable way to run a buisness, and the owner and General Manager deserve to be sued.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business