“Misrepresented Hotel...”

The Fairmount
Ranked #200 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Manhatten, NY
Reviewed November 21, 2005

When I called to make a change to my reservation, the hotel desk staff was incredibly rude and seemed totally confused. I travel quite a bit for my job and have stayed at many "boutique" hotels around the world. This service is what I would expect at a Motel 6, but not from 175/night "luxury" hotel. Needless to say, I am cancelling my reservation.

Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed October 27, 2005

The hotel is absolutely beautiful, but service is an issue. I wasn't able to check in until 6:30 the night I arrived. When I mentioned the next day to the concierge that some of the controls didn't work on my tv remote, he told me that no one ever uses them anyway. (I'm serious!) I received a wake up call at 6 one morning - I'd not requested one, and didn't have to get up until 8. I parked my car very briefly, and specifically requested it not be valet parked since I'd be returning shortly. I was assured that wouldn't be a problem, came back, and my car was gone. And the response was always an automatic and insincere sounding, "I'm sorry". For $175/night? No.....not even as beautiful as it is.

Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank jcarol1406
Naperville, IL
Reviewed June 11, 2005

.. and I have stayed at dives in third world countries. Oh, it looks nice and has that "historic" feeling, but that masks what a total piece of crap this place is. First off, no food. The hotel kitchen was only open ONE DAY the whole time I was there. Forget about breakfast. Morning coffee? Well, there's some coffeeshops a few blocks away. I'm not joking. $19/day valet parking? Returned to me with bird crap and dirt all over my car. Stunning. How they can charge over $100/night for what is basically a hostel with antiques in it is amazing. Forget about working in your room, road warriors, it's designed to be as difficult as possible to get the internet and power hooked up to your notebook. The maid popped in on me one morning at 8:10am still in bed. The sad story just keeps going on.

Seriously, I was ready to switch to a motel 6 after a couple of days in this dump. By the way, this is NOT the St. Anthony (as one reviewer apparently thought), which IS a Wyndham Historic hotel. Wyndham apparently dumped this trash heap, a wise move.

Save yourselves! ANYWHERE but the Fairmount in San Antonio. The Menger looked nice, and is cheaper.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, Tx
Reviewed October 31, 2004

Thumbs down!!! The OWNER went to valet park my truck ($17 a night and NOT optional) and left tire marks about 50 feet long outside the hotel and was standing there to witness this!!!! Sevrice was horrible, check-in was @ 3:00 PM and @ 3:30 they tell me it will be another hour before I can Have a room. I would NEVER stay @ this place again and advise everyone else to stay away!!!!

• Stayed: October 2004, traveled on business
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Malvern, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 4, 2004

Two months in advance, I booked three rooms through our Corporate travel agent and received written confirmation. San Antonio was the sight of a national medical association meeting. Three weeks in advance, I called the hotel to substitute a name for one of the bookings. The clerk informed me that she only had one of the three reservations and that the confirmation numbers were incorrect. A follow up call by the travel agent accomplished nothing. This was gross ineptness of the highest order.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 29, 2004

Certainly its age remains apparent despite the restoration, but if you enjoy staying somewhere with character rather than sterile or ostentatious, this is a great stay. It's more like a bed and breakfast without the obligatory group breakfast. The staff were all as attentive and helpful as we have seen anywhere. The building has such character. It's not on the Riverwalk, but just a very brief walk there--one complaint I read about being far from everything likely emanated from the fact you do have the feeling that you are away from it all even though you aren't. Hemisfair Park is right across the street and that end of the R'walk is a pleasant walk thru the park of less than a mile, while the restaurant end is even closer in the other direction. If you want character, service, and a little distance btwn you and the R'walk, watch for a discount offering on this place.

Reviewed April 30, 2004

I stayed two nights at the Fairmount. My room was the best I ever had (including many stays at 4* before), large and airy and stylish, and the hotel generally had an absolutely wonderful old style ambience. I have already forgotten that the carpets could have been cleaner and that the breakfast had good quality but not a good price/quality ratio.