“Nice Surprise :)”
Review of The Fairmount

The Fairmount
Ranked #192 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I have a few hotels that are my favorite when it comes to staying downtown in SA.... When my husband surprised me with a quick anniversary getaway, and told me on the way that we were NOT staying at one of my usual picks, I was a little worried.
As soon as we pulled up at the Fairmount, I was instantly at ease :)
The Fairmount definitely has curb appeal for someone like me... I like to stay at interesting, historic, and unique places. This charming hotel definitely has those qualities, plus it is in such a great location (near lots of my favorite SA spots like: the Magik Theater, the Tower of the Americas, and blocks from my all time fave - the Alamo)... I know that I have passed it many times before, but never taken the time to check into staying there since I had my regular places to fall back on. After this trip - I am so glad my husband decided to surprise me with something new (to me).
The hotel is located directly across from Hemisfair Park and La Villita.... The Alamo, the riverwalk, and so much more is within walking distance. The staff of the Fairmount was courteous and helpful. They took care of our every need. We didn't have a fancy view outside of our window, but that's OK, because a) we weren't interested in sitting in front of the window while we were in the room, and b) the room was GREAT! So spacious --- you walk in through a sitting area (aka mini living room) with a couch, chair, desk and TV, then into a dressing area with a nice size bathroom and a large closet, and finally you arrive in the bedroom - complete with an antique bed (new mattresses) and another TV.
I really don't think there is much more I need to say... It is a great little hotel... I didn't mention the restaurant Tre because we didn't eat there, but it smelled good! I look forward to going back and staying at this sweet little hotel again, one day, and when I do - I'll make it a point to go in and order something.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
FairmountHotel, Manager at The Fairmount, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Thank you for your kind words, we are very pleased you and your husband enjoyed your little getaway here at The Fairmount Hotel. We always enjoy it when we see returning guest , who love the hotel as much as we do. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed March 16, 2014

This is supposed to be a 3.5-4 star hotel. I was here for a conference and paid >$150 per night. All I can say is that this is a horrible place to stay, hands down.
- dirty linen (looks like dried-up blood)
- peeling wall paper and paint on ceiling
- broken window
- air conditioning that does not cool
- no water vending machine...only cook products and couldn't get a diet cook.
- only 1 outlet in the room....

Just GROSS!

Don't stay here...

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank TM79GG

Hello,
Thank you for staying with us at The Fairmount, I do apologize about your experience during your last stay. We are addressing these issues as we see them, we do appreciate the feedback we receive in person or online. It lets us know what we need to do so our guest can enjoy their stay and want to come back. We are also slowing updating our hotel rooms to take care of the issues we are seeing. I do invite you back to stay with us, give us another chance to make your stay experience with us a great stay. We love to serve our guest, give them our vey best. We hope to hear from you. Thank you again for staying with us and leaving us feedback.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Bottom line, most of the people on here are being dramatic. After reading the reviews on here I was prepared for a "Money Trap" type situation (if you are too young to know what that means....go watch the movie.) Definitely exceeded my expectations based upon most of the reviews on here. Maybe we got a good room, or maybe they are really paying attention to the feedback they have been given. Let me give you a brief run down.

1. Parking. Be prepared to pay for parking. $21 per night to park at the hotel. They do not own their own lot, so they valet. We opted to park our own car, in the same lot they valet in. Which made it maybe $10 cheaper for the weekend and involved walking a short distance. Not bad, but just paying for the valet would have been less of a hassle.

2. Ambiance. The hotel is over a hundred years old. So---it is old. Unfortunately they have not updated any of the curtains, bed spreads, furniture etc, probably since the day it opened. That being said, it is very cute and charming. There is a restaurant attached which was always busy, there is a nice courtyard and the balconies are nice. We had our own private balcony which was nice to be able to go outside or open the door for fresh air. When I got to the room I immediately took the comforter and all of the decorative pillows off of the bed, as I cannot imagine those being cleaned very often. The curtains were ripped and outdated---but it was not anything alarming. It is veryyyy dark in the rooms, but helps it feel a little more romantic and probably helps hide some of the age of the hotel.

3. Cleanliness. I am a freak about hotel cleanliness. Mostly regarding the bed and the bathroom. The hotel is mostly marble and wood. I think the floors look dirtier than they are, just because they are old. Same with the bathroom. I immediately thought the sink was not even cleaned, and realized it was just specks from years of wear and tear. I ripped back all of the sheets and inspected the pillow cases for stains, dirt, hair, etc. They smelled very clean and were not dirty at all. They have a card you place on the bed if you want new sheets.

4. Improvement. It seems like they are trying to improve things. They leave a notepad in your room where you can leave comments for maintenance or housekeeping to improve your room. I think they have been listening to the feedback and want to improve the hotel. They have a lot of work to be done, and updating would be nice, even just reupholstering things would really help out the dingy feel of the hotel.

5. Staff. The staff was great. There was one valet/barhop man who was very, very nice and helpful, Derek. He would order us cabs, help us bring in our bags cheerfully even though we opted to not valet. The staff behind the desk was helpful and responsive. Not a bad experience at all.

6. Location. It was about a half mile walk to the heart of the river walk and directly next to La Villita. Not a bad location at all, and after all the food we were eating, we didn't mind the exercise----however, it is not "on the riverwalk" but not far at all.

Overall, we had a good time, if I was paying that much I would have rather stayed at the Hilton, or the Hyatt, or any other 4 star hotel on the river walk. This hotel is wayyyy to old and outdated to pretend it's a upscale hotel. Also, we booked on priceline. If you book directly through the hotel, you can upgrade your room for free so keep that in mind! Our room was fine, but if we had a sitting room a bigger bed it would have been much more worth the money. To upgrade to a king room suite (they dont have king rooms that aren't suites) after booking on priceline was $40 a night. Which was definitely NOT worth it, so we kept our deluxe queen room.

Good luck, I would only stay here if I got a great deal. If you booked on priceline and are stuck with it, just know it isn't THAT bad.

Room Tip: You can request a room, so look at the pictures on their website. Ours was on the street but it was...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anna J

Hello
Thank you for staying at The Fairmount Hotel, I am glad you had a decent experience. I would also like to thank you for the feedback you have give us, yes we do take the feedback to address what needs to be. We are slowly but surely updating our hotel for a better enjoyable experience for our guest. I would like to invite you back to our hotel the next time you are in San Antonio to experience a pleasant stay, more enjoyable and see the new things we have done to our beautiful hotel. Once again thank you for staying with us and the feedback you have left us with, we hope to see you again!

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Wish I could give 0 stars. Hair on the pillow, hair on the sheet under the blanket, hair on the toilet!! Gross. I called front desk right away to ask for housekeeping. 20 minutes later a guy shows up and drops sheets off to my 6yo and leaves!!!! what kind of management finds out of room is terribly dirty and doesn't send someone to clean it!!? My husband asked and was told there wasnt a housekeeper. Hotel cleanliness was the worst we have ever experienced. Management is ridiculous and obviously could care less about its "guests". We askef for a cot, no one ever showed. I cried. Worst riverwalk experience.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank jamiegru
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This could be a good place, nice location, a lot of potential but ready for Anthony the travel channel guy to come in and tell them to replace the sheets and dirty bed spreads. This place is just plain old "Beat Up." Mold in the bathroom etc. and if you book on hotwire or priceline as I did they treat you like you re lucky you got in. Don;t stay here. Wait until someone cleans it up.

Room Tip: Cancel your reservation.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank radio3322
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The Fairmont is centrally located, and the building is, as another reviewer mentioned, a Grande Dame of San Antonio. But, this Grande Dame has too much make up on, and it is peeling (to continue the analogy. The room was spacious, and had some decent furniture, but other pieces were just old, not antiques, and seemed to be waiting to fall apart. The color schemes are a little garish in some of the rooms, but I think that is a matter of taste and that is not what I am complaining about. The air vents were very dirty, and blew right down onto my face as I was sleeping, the fluorescent bulb running along the side of the mirror had someone's fake eyelash stuck to it, the toilet did not flush well, there was evidence of water damage on the bathroom ceiling, the paint and trim in the room had many areas of being nicked, or appearing to need cleaning, the electrical outlets seemed over burdened, and were not very secure-seeming in the wall (made me nervous about safety).

But, the beds were comfortable, linens were nice, the room was really big with nice wood flooring, the room had 2 windows on opposite sides of the room for a good open feel (views were awful, but that is just this room).

The managers need to keep up with thorough quarterly cleaning, repainting, repairing water damage, and ensure the rooms are cleaned more thoroughly based on my experience as well as other reviewers'.

The staff were variable. I asked to have a reservation made for a taxi to pick me up at 4:30am for the airport, and it was not done. Then, the staff in the morning took excellent care of me as soon as he realized the reservation had not been placed. I almost missed my flight.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed October 20, 2013

A nice thirty-something room hotel with old world charm. Rooms are unique and filled with lovely old furniture. The staff, including Norman, will do whatever they can to make your stay a wonderful experience. Norman will run ice, park cars, open wine, and generally greet you as you come and go with a huge smile. For our family we felt like we had the place to ourselves. It's a quick walk through the market to the river walk. Each room has a great porch to enjoy the views.
Oh, stay away from the steaks in the restaurant. They sell you a ribeye but give you a horribly tough piece of sirloin or worse.
If you want the noise on the river walk don't stay here. If you want great value in a small hotel, try the Fairmount.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room with a huge deck
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family