This hotel was a real disappointment for our family trip. To be fair, I was expecting this to be a FairMONT (my husband booked it :)), so it was definitely a surprise when we checked in. The hotel is quite old and historic (it's even in the Guinness Book of World Records, which impressed my kids since we had just been to the Guinness Museum). Because I usually like old hotels with character, I really wanted to like this hotel. I did enjoy the quirky and mostly elegant common rooms where you could sit and have a drink or read a book.
Our room, however, was not great. The windows were small (understandable in an old building) but there was barely any lighting provided so at night it was almost impossible to read. The bathroom windows didn't open and there wasn't a fan so the bathroom got quite steamed up and was moldy around parts of the ceiling. In fact, the whole room smelled a bit musty (or like someone's grandma, as my tween daughter uncharitably described it). With better care and some thoughtful upgrading to wiring, lighting and bathrooms, this hotel could be a real gem. As is, it seemed to be sinking into inelegant disrepair.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Intimate, European-style hotel built in 1906 and located on San Antonio's River Walk. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TravelClick, Priceline, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Fairmount reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fairmount Hotel San Antonio
- Fairmount San Antonio
- Fairmount Hotel San Antonio