All the mixed reviews on this site and others really had me worried. I got a great deal on a room via expedia and ultimately decided to keep it even though the reviews were scaring me a bit. I arrived late on a Monday evening - check-in took about 5 minutes - no problem with my reservation. The lobby is imaculate and the whole property, in general, looks like it was recently renovated. FYI - it appears the Fairmount mascot - a dog - has passed; I had been looking forward to that unique aspect of this property.
My room was on the second floor - streetside. San Antonio is pretty quiet after-hours, though I still had a bit of trouble getting to sleep because of a loud car/truck every once in a while. The room is spacious; reminded me of a room that would be in a rich grandparent's house. The room appeared recently renovated - new linens, curtains, everything but the carpet was new. The bathroom was "spruced" up, but definately was definately showing its age - great water pressure though and high quality shampoo/soap/etc.
I never saw another hotel guest while I was there for 3 nights/4 days - during the week; that concerned me a bit as a single female traveler. On the other hand, I never felt concerned for my safety at this property. There was always someone at the front desk - one of whom kept my key while I went for an early morning run. Another of whom called a cab for me and gave me directions to another hotel where I had a meeting.
This hotel's location is execellent for getting onto the riverwalk - half a block from a set of riverwalk stairs. The restaurant at the property looked great - I never had the opportunity to enjoy it - and there is zero pressure to go there for breakfast.
I would come here again if I got a good deal and if I was on a business trip. It is close to the convention center and other hotels/meeting/conference places and near the Riverwalk.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Intimate, European-style hotel built in 1906 and located on San Antonio's River Walk. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, TravelClick, Travelocity, Orbitz and Priceline so you can book your The Fairmount reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fairmount Hotel San Antonio
- Fairmount San Antonio
- Fairmount Hotel San Antonio