“A taste of Texas, the natural environment”

San Antonio Botanical Garden
and up
Half Day San Antonio Afternoon Grand Historic Tour
Ranked #13 of 267 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Owner description: A wide range of plants from Texas and around the world spread out over 33 acres.
Reviewed February 11, 2014

The garden is large and easy to walk all around its variety of spaces. A great deal of the acreage is devoted to natural Texan plant life. It's not contrived in any sense. Many benches and shelters for resting and contemplation. The architecture of the conservatory was pretty innovative when new in the 80's. Nowadays it seems a little heavy handed and brutal, perhaps. But exploring it is still fun and unique. I only spent a little over an hour here before flying out, but found it well worth the $10 and a highlight of my time in San Antonio. Would love to come back to see it another time, when it's greener and not in the depths of winter.

2  Thank GrantGustafson

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Reaching the place is somewhat tricky if you are not local. staff is almost non existant, but I did not bother as I like to take my time, it is bigger than you think. Stop by the japanese tea garden and visit the lily Pond. Also one of my favourite spots are the forest zone. There is a pond in the middle and you can spend hours in silence. Also there is some historic constructions to show how the locals lived 200 years a go. in the main building there is a cafeteria that is pretty good.

2  Thank Ed W
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I have gone to the SABOT (San Antonio Botanical Gardens) a couple times each year since 2007-2013. Spring is my favorite time. The variety of species and care of the gardens is fantastic. If the drought conditions allow, the fountains may or may not be on, but do make for a more fantastic experience. The SABOT have numerous community events like bring-your-dog to the gardens to raise money for the humane society, music/film in the gardens on summer nights and courses on gardening for kids and more. I have eaten at their little cafe once and will never do that again...waited nearly 2 hours for a salad and they weren't busy. Yes, it was nice to sit in the gardens, but I didn't like how long it took to get a salad, so I would not recommend the cafe.

1  Thank Vick31
Reviewed January 11, 2014

This was another stop on our whirlwind tour of San Antonio and our effort to take in nearly every major attraction that was suggested. Beautiful exhibits both in doors and out, feeding the ducks / swans at the pond along the nature walk was great fun and I came away with a lot of excellent photos that will serve a pictures for my computer's desktop slide show.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Several distinct areas with cactus and native Texas plants. The gardens were nicely laid out and an easy walk. The only downside was lunch. We planned to eat at the Garden but it just didn't seem very inviting so we ate a very late lunch elsewhere.

1  Thank wheatstatetraveller