“Nice clean AFB”

Lackland Air Force Base
Ranked #17 of 266 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Owner description: Home to a well-known medical research facility and an important source of income for the community.
Eugene, Oregon
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Nice clean AFB”
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

My son enjoyed the static displays.
I enjoyed the selection at the commissary and BX.
We've made several visits and have found new things to see each time.

Visited January 2014

• Korean first
Sachse, Texas
431 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 216 helpful votes
“Best Air Force Base for Training Airmen!”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Lackland AFB is best for training airmen. We went there for our son's BMT graduation. We are honored to be invited to Lackland AFB. Air Force transformed my son to be a good airman. It is very impressive. The AFB is large and its facilities are great. It was very cold and rained during his graduation. You may relax in three BXs and commissary at the base.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank BangkokSachse
San Antonio, Texas
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“NOT OPEN TO GENERAL PUBLIC”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Checked on website and info on internet. Everything invites you to come to their museums and static displays. "Free?" "Come and enjoy." Nowhere did it say that you need a "sponsor." to enter the base. I took my twelve year old son to see the planes on static display. The guard at the gate informed us we need a visitors pass. So he directed us to the Valley-Hi entrance Visitors Center. When we arrived there another soldier tells us we need a visitors pass but we also need someone with a Military I.D. to sponsor us. Hmm? Now why didn't the soldier at the gate tell us that? I'll go back with my brother or my dad who are both Vets. But I want people to know that it's a closed base. The general public is not welcomed. Don't waste your time. So don't let the inviting tone on the internet fool you. Unless you have business there stay away. Go to Fort Sam's museums instead. The Quadrangle is nice for the kids.

Visited December 2013
5 Thank Seahawk39
Augusta, Georgia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“VERY CROWDED and no where to eat”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Went for a basic graduation. The first day, ABs are not allowed off base. There were literally thousands of grads and families trying to get into the BX building that had a Subway, Taco Johns and Popeyes. We had to wait in line for 30 minutes to order and then there was nowhere to sit, as everyone was sitting around with their families and had nowhere else to go so basically camped.. They need to at least put up tents or some kind of outside seating for these weekly graduations. Also not enough restrooms for everyone.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank donna c
San Antonio, Texas
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Could be so much better”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Worked there 25 years and I saw it go down based on the leadership. From the large to the small squadrons there are no leaders to lead the young people that are graduating from basic training. They are more interested in the internationals than our airman.

Visited October 2013