“Hey - It was the Doobie Brothers Concert!”
Review of Majestic Theatre

and up
San Antonio Haunted Legends Segway Tour
Ranked #7 of 266 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1929, this movie theater is beautifully ornate, featuring a domed ceiling painted with stars and clouds.
Uvalde, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Hey - It was the Doobie Brothers Concert!”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

A bit pricey for a drink - $4 for a plastic cup of cola, $9 for a mixed drink in a plastic cup..but you don't come to a concert for the drinks right? Also, as much as I love the Doobie Brothers, sitting up close and personal, 4 rows from the front will make you deaf! They were soooo loud. Luckily, I had some silicon ear plugs that I shared w/my husband. The couple next to us left because the music was TOO loud. Come on - we are in our 50's now, we don't need to get blasted out of $200/each seats!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank InTheCountry78801

• Turkish first
Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The majestic truly is majestic!”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Last night I saw Straight, No Chaser put on a rollicking performance that had the hair on my arms standing up. Their opening act was a young woman with a gorgeous voice who was the perfect warm up segue into the wild and wonderful guys and their musical antics. She will definitely be at the top of her profession very soon. As for the interior and exterior architecture, it's just beautiful. I couldn't stop gazing up and around every chance I got. I'm old enough (mid 60's) to remember old theaters (Beaumont, Houston, Galveston and Austin) in their pre-restoration days, and I loved it. As for complaints about the seats, people, this marvel is restored to its near original glory. Appreciate the fact that the seats were salvaged and are still in use 85 years, and many backsides, later. Surely you can live with minor discomfort for the pleasure of seeing great performances in this opulent environment, and I speak as a very large and mobility impaired/disabled woman. As for the closed theater on walks by, all you need to do is call the theater and arrange for a complete tour, including downstairs dressing rooms, the whole magilla. All of the ushers treated me with friendliness and dignity. It's obvious they love their (unpaid) jobs to the max. Anytime I stood to get my rolling walker to go to the bathroom or concession, someone rushed to my side and escorted me all of the way there AND back! The valet parking staff were five star, coming in the venue and going out. I haven't ever found this kind of kind, open and genuinely friendly concern for patrons, in any similar situation. Generally it's businesslike and very efficient, but these people, and there was an entire cadre, were customer service on 2 feet, super efficient but also hands on, appropriately, with assistance into and out of my car, and they, as well as the ushers, are all walking, proud and sincere advertisements for the theater and the entire River Walk offerings. It was so worth coming over from Austin for this and I'll long remember this night. Will now look to future performances so I can get tickets for more fun in these elegant surroundings. Oh, I nearly forgot, my ticket and that of my friend were in the handicap section further down front, but on my arrival, I was in a lot of discomfort from walking more than usual all day, so we were given superb seats about 2/3 of the way back which still had a clear view of the stage without having to toddle downhill and up on the fairly steep carpeted ramp on the far side of the interior, no questions asked. Again, ushers went out of their way to make everyone as happy and comfortable as possible, from everything I observed. (and no, I don't work for the theater or the SA tourist bureau! LOL)

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Frances G G
Kerrville, Texas
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Worth the price of admission just to sit in this theater”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Got the last minute opportunity to go to the Majestic Theatre this week. As usual, it was once again just superb. The opulent interior that is reminiscent of bygone theaters, the mix of south Texas architecture, the comfortable seating with all seats having good stage views made for a great evening of entertainment. The show (Peter and the Star Catcher) was not the best one I have seen there, but it was fun after intermission. The sound and sights of this show were remarkable as was its humor (subtle). But again, the Majestic was what made it so enjoyable. Don't pass up the opportunity to see ANYTHING in this theater. You won't be disappointed!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank John M
San Antonio, Texas
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“A True Gem”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

What can I say about the Majestic that hasn't already been said? I have been here many times, for shows and concerts, and it is always an experience. What I love most about the place is how the performers react to it. Diana Krall, Lyle Lovett, Bonnie Raitt and so many others clearly love performing in this unique setting. I also cherish the intimacy here! Nothing like the huge arena setting where you find yourselves watching the large screen instead of the performers.

The Majestic is truly one of a kind!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank nysatx
San Antonio, Texas
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“A San Antonio treasure”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

By all means, come to the Majestic. This theater underwent a very expensive restoration about 20 years ago, and it is back in all it's 1920's Italian Renaissance glory. Totally over the top. Be sure to check out the sky ceiling and the tile work. Actually, make some time to check out the entire building.The staff is professional and the word is there is not a bad seat in the house. Alcohol is served and can be taken to your seat. My only warning - the theater is always freezing cold, so be sure to bring a jacket or wrap.

Visited September 2013