“A lovely surprise!”

$53.05*
Haunted Ghost Segway Tour
Ranked #56 of 266 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Owner description: Adobe building built in the mid-1700s for the Spanish presidio, now a major tourist attraction.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A lovely surprise!”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I was walking back to the Downtown area from the market when I came across the Spanish Governor's Palace. What a lovely place. The staff were lovely and very attentive as I was the only person in the place for most of my visit. They were informative and answered my questions enthusiastically. The historical objects were authentic and gave you an excellent feel for what the palace must have originally been like. Definitely worth a visit if you like visiting historical locations.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Lisa O

Dallas, Texas
319 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 250 helpful votes
“Nothing like the first time”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I remember seeing this when I was very young. I was blown away that it was the home of someone important. It looked so small and run down. I can't count how many times I've seen it now. Now I understand just what a miracle it was to live in such luxury so far out in the middle of nowhere - but I'll always remember what it was like to compare it to my home and have my home come out so much better. It doesn't take long, so don't miss it!

St. Paul, MN
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

If this were a free attraction, it might be okay, but I was not impressed and I would not go out of my way to see it. We were not even allowed to go upstairs the day we were there.

Visited March 2013
Windermere, Florida
315 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 654 helpful votes
“Interesting San Antonio history”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The Spanish Governor's Palace offers a glimpse into the history of San Antonio. The name is somewhat misleading, as it was actually the home of the Captain in charge of the military garrison (although he served as a "governor" as well). Also don't be surprised to see that the façade is not like a palace you would in Europe, as it is fairly simple and functional.

The museum also is one of the cheaper options in town. It is only $4 for an adult, $3 if you are in the military. They have a brochure in different languages that gives the layout and brief description. There are also information boards throughout the museum. As other reviews mentioned, several rooms were added on during the 1930s restoration and not part of the original structure. However when the architect was charged to remodel the palace from its use as a pawn shop and other business purposes, he looked at how the museum could represent the era when it served as the Captain's residence. Each of the rooms has furniture and other items found during the 1700s and 1800s.

When you reach the courtyard, you will find it the way the architect envisioned how he believed one would look like back then. It was late winter when I was there, so there wasn't much to it at the time. However it is evident that it is very nice and could see why it is used for special events.

I would definitely consider visiting the museum. It is lesser known than the Alamo, River Walk and other San Antonio attractions, but will provide more of a history of the city and why it is important in Texas history.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank wbullseye
Cleveland, Ohio
128 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Old History”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Small museum over by the court house. I had seen a sign for it and decided to go and visit. There's a lot of interesting little tidbits and pieces of Did You Know sort of things there. Like others have said, though, it was reconstructed of sorts in the late 1930s so some of the rooms aren't even part of the original building or weren't adding in the 1700s/1800s when the owners actually lived there. Good if you're looking for something to do or have a little bit of time to kill

Visited January 2013