“Longest running theater of its kind in the US”

Arneson River Theater
Ranked #96 of 267 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Owner description: Open-air theater featuring live drama and music performances.
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Ever since I'd seen & heard about this theater on the river cruise, I'd always wanted to see a performance there. Luckily, I got the chance to see Fiesta Noche del Rio last night! With the bridge off to the left, the stage on one side of the river & the seating on the other, the acoustics were great, & so was the atmosphere. The passing river boats didn't bother me at all. Although I love the look of the grass-covered steps/seats, it was pretty uncomfortable, so my husband rented us cushions for $1/each- no biggie! There are also 'box seats' if you will, off to one side, with folding chairs at no extra charge, if you'd prefer. Drinks & minimal snacks were available for purchase at the top of the theater. As for parking, we found it conveniently located across the street from La Villita, where the theater is located, at St. John's Lutheran Church on Main Plaza for $10. We just parked there for the day as we toodled around downtown, & returned in the evening for the show. It was nice to know the money we spent on parking supports the church. Glad we finally got to go, & I look forward to going back again in the future!

1  Thank TerriB1974

Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

This little theater is quite unique in the fact that the main stage sits across a small body of water from where the audience sits.

My family and I reserved seats for the annual Armed Forces Day River Parade.

We were treated too music from Tops in Blue in addition to the river parade.

The experience was quite unique as the hustle and bustle of the City seemed to fade away as the performance was underway.

We enjoyed ourselves but on a side note, I can see how this could be a very miserable experience with boat and foot traffic. Fortunately for us, foot traffic was diverted during this event.

1  Thank JKDodge
Reviewed January 31, 2014

have you ever sat on concrete steps in a semi-circle and watched a theater production across a river? how about a river parade where the floats really are floating? that's what the Arneson River Theater offers, plus it is located in La Villita, an area full of craft shops, a restaurant and celebrations events.

5  Thank disin_11
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Just step down the stairs to the Riverwalk and you descend into a magical place that seems totally detached from the City of San Antonio. The temperature is well below the city temperature and all around you are beautiful plants and flowers, the river, and restaurants of every type. It is a romantic and fabulous place that no one visiting San Antonio should miss.

3  Thank Michael E
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Even though there were no productions when we visited, the theatre's outside atmosphere and the stage across the river is one of my favorite memories of the trip.

2  Thank ChaCah