“The Pad Thai is fabulous”

Rice Asian Take-Out and Catering
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Northeast San Antonio
Reviewed November 14, 2011

This is a small place and the end of a strip shop. It's a little hard to see from the street. The ambiance is so so but since typically do take out it didn't matter. The food is GREAT. Great value for the price. Best Pad Thai in San Antonio!

Reviewed January 15, 2011

One really couldn't find a worse location for a resturaunt... end of a row of shops back from the street, hiding behind a rental center so as to be invisible to passing traffic. curious as to why it was still in business, I checked it out!

Started with Chopped Seaweed Salad which was served slightly warm, made with three types of seaweed, including dulce, sesame seeds, and spiced with pepper, rice vinegar and sesame oil.

Followed was the Green Coconut Curry with Tofu. Prominent chinese eggplant carrots and broccoli florets, still crunchy. Quite Spicy; default is a bit spicy for gringos. Cooked with love. The extra firm tofu is almost perfect. Better than Thongs Thai, which was my personal best for San Antonio.

The fried rice is remarkable--authentic, not made with sticky rice--you can't eat it with chopsticks. My Mongolian dining companian said this was the first rice she had tasted in America which reminded her of home.

Main course was pan seared tilapia with mushrooms, butter and Garlic. Almost perfectly cooked over a bed of authentic chinese fried rice.

The prices seemed high until I saw each entree was really enough for two.

I liked this place. Its BYOB and geared to take out, but is comfortable enough to dine in.

Pleasant music, coffee house. Jack Johnson, Regina Spektor.

2  Thank neuroshrink
Reviewed December 8, 2010

Rice's food is delicious. Their chicken dishes are always tender and juicy. The restaurant's atmosphere is comfortable and calming. Love this place.

Reviewed September 24, 2010

I totally agree with the other review! Ditto on every word. My husband and I pass this place everyday on our way to the gym. I notice it everyday and mentioned to my husband that I wanted to go sometime. We went today for lunch and it was sooo good! Very trendy. The food has a great flavor to it.
Drawbacks:There was an odd smell when we walked in. We adjusted to it though. I was thinking it might be Kimchi or some odd Asian food item????? The music coming out of the computer was loud and not my style. My husband didnt mind the music though.
It is so easy to miss this place because it is hiding in the corner of a strip center.

I recommend finding this place.

Reviewed September 5, 2009

Although we live near this little restaurant, we have never stopped in. On a whim, we decided to try it for dinner. What a HUGE score!

The three people in my party ordered Green Curry, Garlic Pepper Beef, and the Basil Bowl with Chicken. Each dish was absolutely fantastic... fresh, healthy, and wonderfully flavored. This is first time that I've eaten out in a VERY LONG TIME where I was truly delighted with my meal.

The entrees at dinner ran around $8-9 with meat. The servings were very generous; easily large enough to make two meals of each entree. We happily left with carryout for tomorrow!

Our waitress was attentive and kind. As several customers came in for Take Out, the waitress seemed to recognize all of them. They have limited hours and one cook. I know why... I can't imagine another person creating the same flavors for their loyal following.

This is a small place, tucked into a middle class neighborhood. Nice, but not glamorous. Worth every penny and so much more!