“Great hotel at the airport”

Aloft San Antonio Airport
Ranked #146 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Austin
“Great hotel at the airport”
Reviewed February 18, 2010

I stay in a lot of hotels, but this is the first time in a "cool" hotel (the telephone greeting is aloha). You will like it. Very friendly staff integrated into a living-room lobby bar, lounge, coffee section. The rooms are large, comfortable, with a modern decor. All non smoking with free wireless internet. Big screen HDTV with fully-capable AV box to play your tunes. There is a free shuttle to the airport.

That having been said, it is a great location for the airport and easy access to the freeway (410), but it is not near the tourist area or the riverwalk. It is located next to a shopping mall and the view is of parked cars. This is part of the W chain.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Carrizo Springs, Texas
Reviewed February 7, 2010

From my arrival to the day of my Departure everyone from The Front Desk Clerks to the Housekeeper were very nice to me and I noticed they were very good with all guest in General.

Thank you...

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Texas
Reviewed February 4, 2010

Took more than 10 minutes to get checked in. It wasn't the desk clerk's fault; she just had too much to do and no help. Brawl in the parking lot from the bar in the middle of the night coupled with people on my floor making noise meant almost no sleep, though I had an all day, important meeting the next day. I personally hate the decor. Modern, trendy, yes. Also cold and uninviting. Room was fine for one person, except the closet is a cubbyhole. But the privacy issues expressed by others are very real if you're traveling with anyone else. Traffic in this area is horrendous. Took me 45 minutes to drive 9 miles, so if you think you can just find a hotel in your general area and travel to your destination in 10 minutes or so, forget it. I need to go to San Antonio regularly right now, but will pay twice as much next time to have a better hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank CoopJean
Austin
Reviewed January 28, 2010

This was my first stay at an aloft hotel and overall I was very impressed. I found the location to be very convenient to everything around town. Also, if one is staying for several days, there are several new restaurants within walking distance and a Target at which you can buy virtually anything you need (except fresh fruit). The staff was very courteous and worked with me to divide my stay into individual shorter stays so I could get the lowest rate but avoid prepaying for a set number of days.

My room featured a king sized bed, full screen plasma tv, a walk in shower that was nicely proportioned, and had an overall "loft" feeling (alas the name). If having a good workout room is important to you, the workout room at the aloft was one of the best I've ever used in a hotel. There are workout towels, purified water, virtually brand new equipment and weights, and even sanitation napkins for wiping down the equipment.

The bar area has a "W" feel and over the course of my stay I would take my laptop down there to work while enjoying a beer or glass of wine. My complimentary 24 hour Wi-Fi internet access worked throughout the hotel and it was also a very fast connection everywhere I used it.

The hotel is definitely "trendy", so if you like traditional room layouts with heavy furniture then this might not be the best place for you. However, don't make the mistake of equating "trendy" with "loud and noisy"- once I got in my room and shut the door it was very quiet.

One of my primary complaints is that the A/C unit does not have an option to allow the fan to continue running if it is not heating or cooling (I like the white noise in the background to help me sleep). However, you can turn the unit off and then turn just the fan on and it will stay on continually, so if it is not too terribly hot or cold outside then this is an option. Also, if you have a lot of hanging clothes this can be a problem because there is only a small area in which to hang things.

One final point- I am writing this review during Jan 2010. Since the decor is so "trendy" I would imagine it will date itself very quickly unless Starwood keeps up with the times and remodels it every so often. However, with my excellent experiences so far at other Starwood properties I'm sure they probably will.

If I have a project again in San Antonio I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 31, 2009

Fantastic Place to stay. Located near the airport and downtown San Antonio. This urban hotel has a fresh new atmosphere to it that is fun for all. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff that is eager to help you with all your needs.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Houston, texas, USA
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,038 helpful votes
Reviewed December 21, 2009

We stayed at the Aloft because the weekend we were in town all the places downtown I looked at were booked or had their prices jacked up 50% more than normal. This hotel is just west of North Star Mall and less than 15 minutes from downtown. The room was large and functional and I liked the large shower and soft water. Parking is free and you can get to 410 in less than a minute so it makes a good base if you don't mind driving. Nothing much to walk to but a breakfast place and some stores. Other posts have noted noise issues but our experience was quite the opposite. We slept late and did not hear anyone despite the fact the hotel was quite full.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jsthouston
Houston
Reviewed December 9, 2009

The newest brand in SPG chain and a mini W. If you are under 35 like staying in a noisey environment and are willing to sacrifice comfort for trendy design and don't mind having to hunt for the hotel then perhaps this property is for you. In a city loaded with numerous fine and reasonibly priced hotels this is not a good choice. It is NOT a good value. And don't be fooled there are less expensive and more comfortable hotels closer to the airport.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business