“New, clean and quite”

Houston, texas, USA
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,739 helpful votes
“New, clean and quite”
Reviewed December 21, 2009

We stayed at the Aloft because the weekend we were in town all the places downtown I looked at were booked or had their prices jacked up 50% more than normal. This hotel is just west of North Star Mall and less than 15 minutes from downtown. The room was large and functional and I liked the large shower and soft water. Parking is free and you can get to 410 in less than a minute so it makes a good base if you don't mind driving. Nothing much to walk to but a breakfast place and some stores. Other posts have noted noise issues but our experience was quite the opposite. We slept late and did not hear anyone despite the fact the hotel was quite full.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jsthouston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Houston
Reviewed December 9, 2009

The newest brand in SPG chain and a mini W. If you are under 35 like staying in a noisey environment and are willing to sacrifice comfort for trendy design and don't mind having to hunt for the hotel then perhaps this property is for you. In a city loaded with numerous fine and reasonibly priced hotels this is not a good choice. It is NOT a good value. And don't be fooled there are less expensive and more comfortable hotels closer to the airport.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank raven40
TX
Reviewed December 2, 2009

We really enjoyed our Aloft stay, and I hope this is the future of hotels, honestly. The room was smartly laid out, with a good use of space. The tv was far superior to any I've ever seen in any hotel, the bed was very comfortable, with a nice white cotton duvet cover instead of the nasty floral polyester bedspread all the top end hotels offer. The bathroom had a huge shower instead of a bathtub, which works fabulously for me since I hate tub baths, and I think tubs and shower curtains look dirty always. We arrived too late at night to make use of the fire pit, though we saw it out the window and it did look inviting. People seemed to be enjoying the bar area, too.

I don't know if the room rate is just a special introductory rate, but it felt like we were staying in a much higher priced facility, which was a good feeling for my very frugal husband.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed December 1, 2009

I stayed here on a Friday night with my boyfriend during Thanksgiving weekend. We paid $80.56, taxes included, for the one night.

Walking into the hotel, it actually looks very neat, very modern and trendy with neat furniture and paintings on the walls...definitely different from anywhere else I've ever stayed. The room itself was really neat, nice flat screen tv, a variety of teas and coffees and hand lotion and face wash, (and upon check in they give you two Zone bars as well). As we got settled in for the night, I realized how little all the trendy things really meant. I would not recommend anyone to stay in this hotel if it's more than just you and your significant other...reason being is the whole bathroom situation. It's a sliding door, that doesn't lock, nor shut completely, seperating the bathroom from the rest of the room...everyone in the room can hear your business if you know what I mean. And If they are standing in the right spot, they can see your business too!

This might sound weird, but I personally thought the two magazines in the room, Spin and Wired...were a bit much. At that point I felt the hotel was trying just a little too hard to be trendy, and it almost kind of annoyed me. I know that's probably just me, but oh well. Another thing that was weird, but wasn't a big deal to me, was the bottle of water they leave for you in the room, the card on the water advertised a fancy schmancy expensive brand for Aloft, but the water bottle was actually Nestle brand...they must have ran out of the other water, odd, but whatever.

The bathroom sink was definitely neat, but not very practical. You can't run the water at full blast because it splashes out all over the counter if you do.

The bed was very comfortable, we slept very well.

The location was decent enough, not downtown, but close to get right onto the loop and get downtown fairly quickly.

No continental breakfast, overpriced foods available for sale near the lobby.

Overall, it was neat, but not very practical. Definitely somewhere everyone should stay at least once for a fun night away from home, but if staying for more than one night, I would probably look for a hotel that's more comfortable and homier than aLoft.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ThePlacesWeWillGo
Alexandria VA
Reviewed November 29, 2009

The rooms in this hotel are very nice. Big widescreen TV. Confortable beds. Good wireless internet. Nice fitness center. Friendly bar staff. Good location close to the airport and shopping malls. No restaurant or room service though.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
vacationfamily3
Reviewed November 21, 2009

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel and we were very pleased. We liked the atmosphere as soon as we walked into lobby (nice music playing), the surroundings were modern and very clean lines. They are pet friendly too. However, we did not bring our dog but was pleased to know such a nice hotel accepts pets (they even had treats for visiting pets). The staff was excellent. The room was clean and in excellent condition. The bed was very comfortable and all the ammenities were up to my expectations. Look forward to staying there in the future. Economical.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Dallas, TX
Reviewed November 8, 2009

I have been to the W hotel in Dallas and was impressed, so I decided to try the aLoft hotel in San Antonio and I was greatly disappointed.
I would have brought my complaints to the manager, but the staff was not customer friendly.
1. I asked for the kids package with air mattresses and a goodie bag - was told the mattresses were busted and there weren't any goodie bags. No apologies nor any efforts to correct either issue.
2. Cleanliness was an issue in the room. Upon check in there were hairs in the sink, and on the beds. There was a wad of hair in one corner of the room and stains on the carpet. The room was not vacuumed sufficiently - pieces of paper and dirt under the sofa and in the walkway.
3. The shower door opened inward, resulting in water all over the bathroom floor.
4. The door separating the shower from the sink area did not stay shut; hence there was no privacy for anyone using the toilet or the shower.
5. The light fixture in the bathroom was broken on top.
6. There were several items that housekeeping re-used, and it looked like it - the cards on the beds and bottled water, and the trash cans did not have liners, and the cans were stained and filthy inside.
I was disappointed in my stay and would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family