“This is no W Hotel”

Ranked #162 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“This is no W Hotel”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I've stayed at W Hotels before, and this is no W Hotel. I was lured into staying here by the association with the W and the pictures on this and the Aloft website. I had several issues during my stay, most notably, that this is a tiny, shoebox of a hotel and your room is even tinier. I felt like the room wanted me to leave, it was not inviting at all. My room didn't have any cabinets and the place to hang your clothes barely had enough room to hang one days worth of clothes for my wife and I. I booked online for two nights, and felt compelled to check-out early. There was a little confusion on getting out of the prepaid 2 night stay, but the front desk took care of it, thankfully. Staff was quick to help and fixed a warm, muggy room pretty quickly after a brief room swap from two queens to a king.

Room Tip: Upper floors may be quieter, but they don't offer King sized beds up there.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank paullieT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My boyfriend and I really enjoyed this hotel during our visit to San Antonio for Thanksgiving last year. The hotel has the feel of a boutique establishment. The decor is very modern but still very comfortable with just a touch of Texas charm. The rooms are a little on the small side, but they are laid out in a Loft Apartment fashion which maximizes the utilized space. The bed was comfy and the room clean. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a single traveler or a a couple. There was an opaque window between the shower stall and the sleeping area which was great for me and my boyfriend but probably wouldn't be ideal for a family. It is also very close to the airport, making it ideal for business travelers. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on both business and pleasure and it's just a perfect place to stay, great friendly staff, very prompt, courteous, nice, especially Marquel, she is wonderful, very efficient, professional and great attitude!! The bar is super nice, has a great area around it both indoors and outside to relax, only down side about the hotel is that for some reason the pool is small, it's nice, but could be larger...I put this up with the W chains, which are great, and the Aloft is a spin off of the W Hotels! I can't wait to stay there again soon!

Room Tip: I prefer the first floor rooms very private
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We Stayed overnight and staff was friendly, room was clean with really large flat screen. Like that it had a safe in the room and coffee maker. My daughter loved the place. After 4 p.m. It gets Busy downstairs cuz of open bar. Close to north star mall and the cinema.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 19, 2012

The rooms could use much better pillows. Front staff very nice. Avoid rooms near elevator, it's very noisy!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these San Antonio hotels

New Braunfels, Texas
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed the weekend just for a getaway. I am young but not much of a party girl so the atmosphere with the bar and all the people was just too crowded for me. Don't get me wrong, the hotel was nice, clean, but EVERYTHING cost $$. I am also Gay so walking through the lobby with my partner, seeing as it was so crowded, we got stared at and made us very uncomfortable. We love to stay in different hotels and do so very often. We always bring our DVD player and the latest season of whatever TV show we are watching (this time it was One Tree Hill). They have the plug and play boxes which ours didn't work at all. Had to have the engineer come up and fix it, which was simple enough. Our room was also right by the elevator so we got to get all that lovely noise as well as some strange humming noise that went on all night long, very frustrating. The room was very small but very nice. The AC in our room didn't seem to get very cold so we sweat most of the night. And our room was one of those conjoined rooms and the people in the next room over complained about our TV being too loud, to the front desk, not to us, that was irritating. I have never had a problem with noise, especially because I was only watching a TV show, its not like we were running around like maniacs. The walls are too thin! Ok that's my rant, all in all, nice hotel but I wouldn't stay there again, perfect for young people who like to party.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed there 2 nights. We were on the 4th floor, and didn't have a noise problem, even thought the hotel was full. Comfortable and modern rooms. As other reviewers have noted, parking is an issue, but once we found out about the parking garage, no problem. It would have been helpful if the staff had mentioned it when we checked in, or had something posted in the room. Otherwise, no complaints, and I should mention that the young woman at the registration desk both days was very friendly and helpful (sorry, I didn't get her name). Convenient to the highway, about 10-15 minute drive to sights downtown. Can walk to many restaurants and shopping. We would definitely stay there again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family