“Good hotel on outskirts of the city”

Aloft San Antonio Airport
Ranked #146 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
London
“Good hotel on outskirts of the city”
Reviewed November 24, 2011

I stayed here on the second part of my November trip to San Antonio. I spent the first three nights downtown in the Menger Hotel and the Aloft was about as a complete contrast! Modern style bar and seating area downstairs and a large well appointed room with flat screen TV on the wall and a large bed. The well laid out bathroom with large shower with a rain drencher head plus storage areas for clothes and cases. I like this setup to the room which I had seen last year on a visit to Thailand. The only thing I can fault was the plug in my sink jammed but I lived with it and didnt report it. Everything else was great and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank MJT
carango2, General Manager at Aloft San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
Dear MJT,

Thank you for your review of the Aloft in San Antonio. You are absolutely correct in the differences our hotel has when compared to your more traditional hotels. Our decor, our design, and even our culture is unlike no other. Again thank you for your great review and we hope to see you back at the Aloft on your next visit to San Antonio.

Kindest Regards,

Chris Arango

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I wanted to like this hotel. I like the concept. However, my first stay at an aLoft was not so nice.

What I liked:
Location: It was not far to drive to downtown.
Location: nearby restaurants on E Basse Road (I suggest you try Piatti).
Location: Target is across the parking lot for forgetful packers like myself.

Also, I liked that we got two free bottled waters, a small microwave and a small refrigerator. The modern look was nice, too.

I slept very well. Even though the hotel was booked, I had no problems with noises keeping me up.

What was OK:
The service is mediocre but acceptable.
There was enough parking plus there was a garage if you cannot find surface lot spaces. There's a pool, fire pit, pool table, the bar, and snacks available. I didn't use the amenities, but I thought it was convenient.
Pet friendly

What I didn't like:

The room was neither clean nor acceptable to my standards. For example, the bathroom shower area was clearly moldy. The sin was missing a stopper. The comforter has seriously gross make-up and Cheetos-like stains all at the top edge. (SUPER ICK!)

Additionally, when we requested a late cleaning, no one came at all. After a call to housekeeping the service guys brought us new towels, but when they came to replace the dirty comforter, they noticed stains on that one as well. Since the hotel was booked, they ended up using 3 mattress pads as the comforter replacement (don't know what to say. can't ding them for innovation, can I?)

And this is a minor issue, but if you're sensitive to air freshener as I am, you may want to know the elevator on the left has a horrible air freshenor that stung my eyes and made my nose run.

In summary, I saved over $100/day staying here instead of downtown and got a good rest. Would I stay here again? No. But, If I had to stay here again, I would bring shower slippers and my bed and shower linens.

Room Tip: I had a corner room on 5th floor. It was a quiet room
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank lauramly
carango2, General Manager at Aloft San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Dear Lauramly,

I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your visit to the Aloft in San Antonio. Although I certainly appreciate the positive feedback regarding your visit here to the Aloft. I am certainly concerned by the cleanliness issues you encountered while you were here. Although we pride ourselves on providing an experience that is other than your traditional hotel experience. We still stay true to all the core values that make any great hotel brand successful and cleanliness is one of those core values.

I have made it a point share your comments with our staff here to help correct this issue with any other travelers. Should you find coming back to San Antonio I would love to invite you back to the Aloft hotel for a true Aloft experience. Again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having you back soon.

Warmest Regards,
Reviewed November 15, 2011

This is a great hotel for business travelers. It's not full-service, but it's a definite step up from the Inn & Suites-type places. Decor is very modern & sleek. Highlights/Pros: Great outdoor sitting area with firepit & separate glass fireplace between outdoor & lobby bar, lobby bar attracts a good group of professionals most evenings, you can get breakfast delivered or pick it up in the lobby (not complimentary), very comfy platform-style beds, good gym, glass showers with rain heads, large flatscreen TV mounted on wall, location right on 410 (the main loop), room service available from neighboring pub, pool table in lobby bar area, lots of nearby restaurants & shopping. Cons: No decaf coffee in room (although there is hot tea), the only shampoo is a shampoo/conditioner combo that KILLED my hair (not conditioning at all that I could tell), no bath tub (showers only) only healthy food available from pub/room service is salad, pool is outdoor only, no hot tub. Overall, would recommend it, but not rave about it.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the pool side. A co-worker told me that you can hear the traffic all night on the ro...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Lizalot

I would like to thank you taking the time to write about your recent visit to the Aloft in San Antonio. It is feedback like yours that helps us to achieve our goal of providing travelers with a new twist to travel. Although we have been well received by the vast majority of travelers we see day in and day out we are certainly not the hotel of choice of all travelers. However for those that are tired of the more traditional experience and want to try something different we can provide that experience. Thank you again for your feedback and should you find yourself in San Antonio again we hope to see you back at the Aloft.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed November 10, 2011

The sofa in the lobby had a large piece that had fallen off the bottom that was half kicked underneath. The room felt dirty. I didn't want to touch anything because the textiles felt so bad on the bed. The closet has an army issue looking wool type curtain on it, I didn't want it to touch my clothes. The carpet is blue and gold. The room felt dreary to me. The pool is beautiful and there is a really nice seating area outside. There is a lovely fireplace in the lobby. The room had two queen beds and was tiny. The desk area is also small. If you need to spread out while working, this room is not for you.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
carango2, General Manager at Aloft San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
Dear Holly H

I would like to thank you for the feedback on the Aloft San Antonio hotel. The Aloft brand has been well recieved all over the world and here in San Antonio. This has been for a number of reasons from our modern decor and design throughout the hotel to our unique approach to service. We definitely stay true to our calling card "the new twist in travel".

On the flipside however it is these same unique features for some of our well traveled guest that may not make us their hotel of choice. We do however take all the core hotel issues very seriously here and cleanliness is a top priority. The cleanliness of the hotel is something I am very engaged with here. That being said your feedback is again greatly appreciated should you ever find your self in San Antonio we would love to see you back at the Aloft.

New Orleans, LA
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I was placed at this hotel by the airline...they had a choice between the Hilton and ALoft...I asked the agent which one he'd rather stay at and he said, "Aloft". It was awesome. I loved the room...it had a very modern style...very clean and quiet. Everything I needed was there...the lobby was like walking into a posh lounge...it was very European in design and furnishings...very upbeat! Also, it was within walking distance to a really nice theater and many restaurants...very safe area...I had a great stay. The only thing you need to be aware of is that the shuttle doesn't start to run until 5am...the airport is only 10 minutes away...but I needed a 4:30 pickup and had to take a cab. The airline picked up the tab for that too...but it's important to know if you have to pay the extra for the cab rather than take the shuttle...it runs until midnight. I would look for this hotel in any city I travel too...It gets an A+...especially for the younger traveler...I'd say below the age of 50.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
carango2, General Manager at Aloft San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Dear BayouBuddhist,

I would like to thank you for your recent visit and rave review of the Aloft San Antonio. We certainly know as a brand we are not your normal cookie cutter hotel. We are also the brand for those travels that are looking for something other than your traditional experience. That being said I am glad you enjoyed your Aloft experience here in San Antonio. Should you ever find yourself in San Antonio we look forward to having you back to the Aloft.

Reviewed October 24, 2011

Our stay was awesome! The staff was wonderful and the rooms were clean and pleasant. The night atmosphere was great as well our bartenders at the Xyz bar were great, and Heather at the front desk was very helpful and informative. Overall we had a very relaxing weekend and will continue to stay at the Aloft hotels.

• Stayed October 2011
Dear Linsay4842,

I would like to thank you for chosing the Aloft during your visit to San Antonio. I am also very pleased with the experience you encountered while you were here. Guest sevice is something we preach and practice day in and day out. That being said I enjoy recieving comments like yours that are clear display of our culture and hard work put forth by our employees.

Again thank you for your comments and we hope to see you back upon your next visit to San Antonio.

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed October 22, 2011

The rooms were great!!! Nice big T.V's, great bedding, lots of closet space, and alarm clocks that not only ring but light up the room as well. For someone who oversleeps ALOT, this was a big deal for me. The staff was so very helpful and went above and beyond to make sure our stay was fabulous.

I can't wait to come back....I love W hotels.

BIG THANKS TO THE FRONTDESK STAFF!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear Banksr,

I would like to thank for your review of the Aloft San Antonio. The Aloft brand has definitely been one that has been well embraced by our travelers. Specifically because of the unique twist to travel we offer. From our trendy design to our state of the art amenities. I am glad that you enjoyed your room but more importantly i am especially glad you enjoyed your experience with our front desk staff. A lot of brands will come out with a fresh unique look to appeal to travelers however your hotel is only as good as the service you offer. Service is also something that is embedded into our culture here at the Aloft so it pleases me when our staff recieves a shout out like yours.

Again thank you for your review and we look forward to having you back to the Aloft on your next visit to San Antonio.