“Decent Indian food”

Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Tampa, Florida
“Decent Indian food”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

The food is average, not great but not awful either. They will accommodate your desired level of heat, which is a plus for me because I find too many Indian restaurants make their food too bland or too salty for those of us that are very familiar with good Indian cuisine. There are better Indian restaurants in San Antonio than Mela, but Mela is worth the stop if you are in that area of town.

• Visited February 2012

San Antonio, Texas
“I still am in shock that they didn't seem to care about us leaving!!!”
Reviewed July 11, 2010

My husband and I went to this restaurant last night around 7PM. It was a Saturday evening and there were about five tables occupied. We were seated with our menus, and waited and waited to get served. The waiter served another table dinner and also gave another table water when the rest of their group arrived. My husband thought he had made eye contact with the watier but he never came. The restaurant isn't very big, so it wasn't like we were tucked away in a corner or something.

The menu prices were expensive-about $14 a plate, and we thought it wasn't worth it if they wouldn't even serve us water! We walked out and the girl who sat us and a young gentleman who stood beside her didn't seem to care. We said that we had been sitting there for 15 minutes waiting to be served, so we were going to walk out. They mumbled something we couldn't understand, but didn't seem to care.

It was frustrating since we drove about 25 mintutes from home to eat there based on the good reviews from others. We ended up eating Mexican food closer to home. We shouldn't have wasted our time and neither should you!

San Antonio, Texas
“Amazing & Authentic”
Reviewed March 22, 2010

Best Indian Food in San Antonio. The service was great and the portions are huge. My husband and I could easily share a meal. I highly reccommend this restraunt to anyone interested in Indian cuisine. The atmosphere is classy and relaxing. They also have an excellent bar if you wish to have a cocktail. =)

1 Thank lina22g
San Angelo, Texas
“Best Indian food ever!”
Reviewed December 5, 2009

My friends and I found this place without even knowing it was out there and I was so glad we stopped there for dinner. This is one the best Indian restaurants I've ever been too. They have a lot of authentic Indian food on the menu and it's not americanized. I tried their Sabzi soup, Tandoori Fish Tikka (fresh Mahi Mahi broiled with tomato, onion & cream sauce) and Yogurt Lassi. Everything tasted great. I also loved the interior design of the restaurant. I can't wait to go to San Antonio and visit this restaurant again.

San Antonio
“A Modern Quality Restaurant”
Reviewed May 3, 2009

Unfortunately, most of the Indian restaurants in San Antonio are of only modest quality, whereas Mela has both a modern interior and fine food as well. They do have their own style, and the dishes arn't Americanized as with most other establishments, but if you want authentic Indian food you won't be disapointed. First time visitors should consider a visit to the lunch buffet as it is an easy way to sample the many dishes which are not standard fare in most other Indian restaurants.