“Top Notch Italian”
Review of Tre Trattoria

Tre Trattoria
Reserve with OpenTable
Tre Trattoria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #404 of 4,669 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Uptown Broadway
Seattle, Washington
“Top Notch Italian”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Location in historic Fairmont Hotel is lovely. Great ambience, creative menu. Pasta was freshly-made and delicious. Those who had the risotto special raved, as did the one person who had salmon. When you're looking for a little more upscale place to dine in San Antonio, you can't go wrong here.

Visited March 2013

Knoxville, Tennessee
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent, excellent dinner and atomospher!”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Our dinner was delicious, and the service was perfect. The prices were very reasonable. Four adults and one child ate for $150 inlcuding gratuity, non alcoholic drinks and an appetizer. The appetizer we ordered (x2) is called- Pulled-To-Order Mozzarella with Sea Salt and Toast. Oh my goodness it is amazing!

• Visited March 2013
Greenville, MS
“2 visits”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Had a very nice dinner with another couple in early January and all of the food and service were excellent. My wife and I returned several evenings later and found the food to again excellent with even more enjoyable service. On the second visit we ordered many of the smaller dishes we hadn't tried on the previous trip. My wife normally won't even try beets, but she shared a bite of mine and loved them. Great space near the Riverwalk without the crowds.

• Visited January 2013
St. George, Utah
“Cold Food, Heavy Cream, Poor (No) Service”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I ate here with some friends while attending a medical conference. All of our group tried different dishes and we shared the large meat and vegetable appetizers. We are all serious foodies.
First, the restaurant is trying to be different than the usual Italian pasta places. Some of the dishes were excellent. Like the mixed vegetable appetizer. Some were horrible. The bolognese pasta sauce was cream sauce overload. (Pure heavy thick cream)
The fish dish was inspiring with a saffron broth but it was served on a cold plate which quickly made the whole meal cold. All the dishes were served on cold plates which is the enemy of fine dining.
The worst part of the meal was the absent service. There are no bus-boys. The hostess and bar tender were clearing the plates off the tables. My meal was served without a knife and I eventually had to walk over to the kitchen to get a knife. Forget about ordering a second glass of wine. Bad business decision by the owner. Less labor costs but less food sales.
Overall; a hit and miss dining experience for a high price.

• Visited February 2013
San Antonio, TX
“Best Italian Food in San Antonio -- Order the Gnocchi.”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Tre Trattoria is a diamond in the rough in the somewhat sleepy plaza between the Witte Museum and the Broadway/Hildebrand intersection. The interior decor is perfect for me -- nice and comfortable, but not overtly formal. Since we live in the neighborhood, my husband and I eat at Tre usually once every 1-2 months. The servers are nice and attentive and the good is always great. Jason Dady changes the menu every season, but there's always a great variety of pizzas and pastas in the $10 - $15 range. We usually start with a few small vegetable dishes to share (verdure), we like the asparagus and the lentils. There's also a great starter with housemade mozzarella cheese and toasted crostini that's delicious and decadent. My favorite pasta is a slow-cooked pork and pappardelle, but it's sometimes off the menu, depending on the season. The pastas are all made in house and very delicious. There's a pizza with goat cheese, onions, and balsalmic vinegar we both like (but we've also been pleasantly surprised by specials, like a yummy farmer's market pizza). The menu also includes a variety of main courses designed to be served family style, including meat and fish entrees. I've had the special "fried chicken" which was good, but honestly, the pizzas and pastas are so yummy and such a good deal, we usually go this route. If someone is eating at Tre for the first time, I always recommend the housemade gnocchi. It's decadent, but really special. There's a table in a private room that can accompany upwards of 15-20 people. I've hosted work dinners there and find it very accommodating.

• Visited January 2013