“Delish”

Neighborhood: North Central
San Antonio, Texas
“Delish”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Interesting place. Definitely try the beef and chicken bulgogi. Their tempura is a little unusual but still tasty.

• Visited November 2013

“Mediocre”
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

I'm going to preface this review with my one year experience of military service in Korea and another two years with various Korean girlfriends.

For an appetizer we ordered the vegetable tempura, Which was hot, crisp and delicious. That, I would order again.

I ordered the Kalbe, which is one of the more expensive beef plates. It is beef rib meat, with the meat typically cut from the bones. What I got was a plate full of more bones than tough meet. This, I would not order again. If I were to go back I would order the Bulgogi instead and have it cooked at one of the in-table grills.

My girlfriend had the bibimbap, served in a hot stone bowl. This was as I have experienced and was delicious. This, I would order again.

We hadn't planned on a dessert, but the owner offered us a chocolate mousse and that was very tasty.

The bill came out to $61 and add another $10 for tip. I rated the value at a "2" because of the plate of bones I received.

Overall, what I'm saying is that Zagat never spent any time in Korea.

• Visited April 2013
Mesa, Arizona
“Ok but have had better”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

This place was okay but the old Wang Goong on Austin Highway was much better. The chicken bulgogi was bland and the sauce too sweet. The oyster pancake was much better. Mackerel whole fish was... well very "fishy". Note that the sushi and even cooked fish appetizers are no longer offered, even though they still appear on the menu.

• Visited May 2012
San Antonio, Texas
“Korea at home..you need to go!”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

This was a nice surprise! Authentic Korean cuisine that I remember from my tour from Korea. The staff were so warm and friendly like they are in Korea. They greeted us like we were coming into their house. We had the Yaki Mandu, vegatable pancakes, beef Bulgogi and the Jam dang (spicy seafood soup). Everything was right on the money to include those little dishes of kimchi served with your meal. You have to try this restaurant! Next time, I will post pictures. People don't miss out on this great place.

• Visited April 2012
Texas
“Ah So Good”
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Today we went to Ilsong Korean B-B-Q for a good friend's birthday. The diners can drive right up to the restaurant and get a parking place if front, if they are lucky. But there are various nearby restaurants, so at peak dining hour it might be more of a challenge to park. It is in a strip center, Blanco Junction. There were six of us, and we reserved a well lit table located in the front window. The charming owner greeted us personally and chatted for awhile. I did not walk around to check out the decor, but it seemed low key and tasteful. The food was outstanding. There were a lot of moderately priced luncheon specials. We started with a shrimp pancake, which were absolutely delicious. It comes to the table looking like a big pizza with lots of whole shrimp on top. It will serve eight, was perfect for six. It is finger food. Little bowls of yummy veggies were placed in a row in front of us..shaved raddishes, broccoli, cucumber, spicy cabbage, etc. Chopsticks seem to be the thing for this. For the main course, most of us had the B-B-Q, so tender that it falls right off the bone. We had forks, but didn't really need them. There is a choice of spicy or sweet sauce. Or, you may split the sauces half in half and try both. Two ladies ordered the soups. One had dumpling soup, and the other vegetables and beef. They highly approved of their selections. The iced tea was said to be great, and I loved my pot of hot tea. My friend had a very happy birthday, and we all had a great meal.

• Visited November 2011