“Up & coming steakhouse”

Kirby's Prime Steakhouse - San Antonio
Reserve with OpenTable
Kirby's Prime Steakhouse - San Antonio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #119 of 4,911 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Stone Oak
Cross street: N 1604 East
Description: Continuing the legacy of Dallas' Original Steakhouse, Est. 1954, Kirby's Prime Steakhouse in San Antonio, Est. 2007, is an award winning restaurant featuring Mid-Western, grain fed, aged prime beef. Kirby's also offers fresh seafood, daily chef features, and a spectacular collection of New and Old World wine housed in an impressive cellar of over 3,000 bottles. Kirby's boasts a trendy jazz bar and lounge featuring live music on Friday and Saturday evenings. To compliment their excellent wine selection is classically trained Corporate Executive Chef Daniel Nemec. Chef Nemec seeks to introduce the culinary versatility of Kirby's cuisine to the newcomer, and to charm the well-educated diner with the tastes, colors, aromas, and preparation of the dishes Kirby's has to offer. Guests can enjoy our lounge while partaking in a hand crafted cocktail, premium spirit or a glass of wine selected by certified Sommelier, Sam Miller.
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Kirby’s Steakhouse online presence both entices & draws serious diners to this well-appointed steakhouse on San Antonio’s north side. Although known for its steaks the wait staff is quick to point out Kirby’s seafood offerings rival the best in the city. Greeted by a warm & smiling hostess promptly leading us to our private table it was clear by the early crowd reservations are strongly recommended.
Our server was both knowledgeable & personable offering insightful recommendations for both appetizers & entrees but was subject to the restaurant’s internal policy of pushing high end/priced wines vice ensuring the diner’s dinner choices were paired. Kirby’s wine list is impressive with no less than 300 choices of wines averaged $50-$200 per bottle. We opted out of the “front” page high priced offerings for a 2011 Sterling Carneros. At $60 the 2011 Sterling Carneros was an absolute steal. Our server while knowledgeable and engaging was provided but missed repeatedly the cue to allow us to share our special night together. While his efforts undoubtedly well intentioned over time became a source of irritation. Servers shouldn’t feel they need to be the most interesting person in the room. The commentary here is that there is a point where the art of serving is one of quiet professionalism. While concise & succinct recommendations are always appreciated affording the couple time on their special night is an unspoken rule. While largely proficient in his craft save for a minor faux paux of awkwardly reaching across my wife vice neatly stepping behind to place a utensil to her left our server was well trained. Selecting the lobster cargot & Kirby’s fried asparagus as appetizers was a good choice. The lobster cargot was baked to perfection, very yummy! I was a bit disappointed in the fresh sautéed spinach which was a bit bland however the sautéed mushrooms made up for it. For entrees we chose the Tournedos Béarnaise and accepted our waiter’s recommendation of foregoing the Tenderloin Trio Tips for a better cut. Unfortunately the better cut ran out and a tenderloin tip made its way onto the plate regardless. Overall the fifty cent sized steaks were superbly cooked to perfection, the sauces excellent as well. Compared to Ruth Chris, Morton’s, Bones in Atlanta, Chicago’s Chop House, and Shula’s, Kirby’s of San Antonio is a distant sixth but with time will undoubtedly improve.

1  Thank Manbyk

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Was here on a business dinner. Great wine selection. Ambiance is great, so is the service. I had the Steak - Lobster special, which was amazing. Will definitely come back.

Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I love dining at Kirby's. Its a great experience with wonderful food. There has never been a bad meal served to me or any of my guests. From the tender steaks to the perfectly cooked salmon or lobster. I've enjoyed ever bite. We've been on many birthday celebrations there where they give the birthday guest a $20 gift coupon for their next visit. It's worth having a celebration there. Love it all.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We ate here a few years ago and were not impressed with our meal. I don't remember exactly why but I think it had to do with our beef entrée. This is restaurant week in San Antonio and many restaurants are offering 3 course meals for a fixed price of $35/person. Since they are near where we live and the special menu looked appetizing we decided to give them another try. Glad we did! We each selected the wild boar sausage as an appetizer from the limited menu. My wife selected the filet with hollandaise crab sauce and I the veal ladybird for our entrees. They were served with Kirby's mashed potatoes, veggies, and mushrooms on the side. It was all excellent but then came the good part. I had crème broule and my wife ordered the chocolate spice cake. They were both KICK [--]. (to die for). The atmosphere is quiet and romantic and the service was great. We'll be back.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

The Best Dinner ever had in San Antonio,I was greeted as I drove up to the front door by complementry Vallet, then by a friendly host stand. Our table was not ready so we went to the Bar area where they had an Awesome Band with a Great singer Named Melina. Great Drinks and the Bartender had some Great recomendations for dinner. WE were then escorted to our table for dinner, Well worth the Higher than avg price for dinner. I had the Hickory smoked Fillet and Loved it, my wife the Lamb chops, Great sides, we will difinately be back and would recomend it especally for a special ocasion.

KirbysSteakhouseSA, Manager at Kirby's Prime Steakhouse - San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Michael, thank you so much for your review! We are so delighted to hear you enjoyed yourself! Look forward to seeing you in again soon and if there is anything with can help with in the meantime please don't hesitate!