“Spring Break stay in SA”

Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Near La Cantera Parkway
Ranked #78 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I live 40 miles from the beach (South Padre Island) and spending spring break there is...........not my cup of tea. its packed, expensive, more alcohol than there is in the Gulf and a haven for citations for any type of offense small or big.
This year with the gf and friends, we planned a group trip to San Antonio for the 14th thru the 16th, a weekend stay.

It should be known that I'm a Hilton Honors member and have been for a little over 10 years and have never really stayed with the Dury hotel chain before. Our decision to go to S.A was almost a last minute thought. We didn't fully commit to going to S.A until a few weeks before the departure date. Initially we wanted to stay at one of two Dury Inn hotels in the downtown area of the Riverwalk. One is the Dury Plaza and the other is the Dury Inn and Suites. Both are highly rated and located in historical buildings but the prices were around or above $300 a nite. So we hand to expand our scope outside of the downtown area, even though that's where most of our time was to be spent. So instead we decided upon this location located near Six Flags and the La Cantera shopping center. Also the University of Texas San Antonio is also located near by from this hotel, so if you're visiting your kid or attending a graduation, this hotel is in the perfect location.

Our rate was about $170 a nite which included the various city and occupation taxes that are included in the billed.

Since we were coming from South Texas, we came thru the South of the city from US Hwy 281. The hotel located on the corner of interstate 10 and Charles Anderson loop, getting there may require some detailed directions since the roads at the intersection are a maze. Identifying the hotel is easy as it stands a bit over 10 stories tall. A parking structure makes up the first half of the hotel which also houses the lobby, pool area, and breakfast/dining area.

I should also note that an Applebee's is attached to this property, literally attached. From what I understood there is a connecting hallway that leads you to it but didn't see it as we dined out every nite at the river walk and at the shops at La Cantera and else where around town. Also near by is a Longhorn Steakhouse, Olive Garden and Red Lobster.

The hotel itself is backed up into a wooded area that offers hiking and biking trails. Its popular as most days that I looked out there was people walking the trailers and I enjoy green space especially in large cities where its a jungle of cement and steel. As most reviewers mentioned as well before I booked my stay, most prefer views of the wooded area anyways. I would suggest this as well just for the view of the green space and the distant views of the hills that make up part of the famous Texas hill country. Our view from our room was 50/50, as in 50 scenic view of the woodland area and 50 of the highway. Never had an issue of outside noise from the highway.

Now onto the hotel itself, I've always considered the Dury chain aimed at families and targets familys on a budget and offering the best bang for the buck. I thought this could be a bad thing but I was wrong. For starters, the lobby is very nicely appointed and the staff upon check in were friendly. We arrived during their "Kick back' hour which includes refreshments and food (hot dog, spaghetti and nachos) Before we headed to our room we took advantage of the Kick Back hour which is very popular with guest as it was crowded. me and the gf had reserved a Deluxe King bedroom which was decent considering we planned it on Spring Break, including the safe parking, free internet, free breakfast, and the Kickback is a package deal when you factor those in. On top of that I also joined their rewards program which looks to be better structured than Hilton's program.

Our Deluxe King room, room 1011, was clean and nicely appointed in warm colors and granite everything. I've never seen so much granite before in a hotel at this price point. Granite hallway tile (pictured below), granite counter tops and what appeared as granite counter tops on the dresser and two lamp stands. Very classy and nicely done. the bathroom was spacious, nicely tiled and very clean. For 2 people, the room and restroom was adequate for our needs. A big plus was the mini fridge and microwave which was located in the dresser where the TV stands (picture included below) and this is something that isn't offered at many hotels. The a/c unit was very efficient at cooling our room down, although a cool front blew in during Saturday evening. The a/c did however, make a loud hum as it cycled on sometimes.

I'm all for conservation and earth friendly policies to an extent and this hotel is no exception. They have toilets that have 2 different flush buttons for solid or liquid waste, which can splash your parts as the toilet system flushes in a fashion that is different from traditional toilets. They also offer a policy of reusing your towels to save water otherwise you can place them on the floor and you get fresh ones.

Everything was problem free, with the minor exception of hallway noise which could be attributed to this being a family hotel so children will be children and the fact that our door had a 1 inch or larger gap between the bottom of the door and the floor. My gf is a light sleeper so any noise and light keeps her up at night. We had to put a bath towel at the bottom of the door so she could sleep. One thing that may concern some people, was that there is no lock on the restroom door. I sort of attributed it to the fact that this is a one bed room but a friend in our group who always stays with the Dury Inn chain commented that this is how it is in all their rooms that are solely King or Double bed rooms regardless. I wouldn't say its a deal breaker but it is something that I'm uncomfortable with. Otherwise the beds were comfortable and so were the plenty of pillows provided.

On Saturday we got up late and called the front desk to request our room to be serviced, granted if house keeping was still working. Upon return back to the room, everything was made and our bathroom was restocked with fresh clean towels, so no complaints there.

Another issue that is out of the hotels hands that some families who travel and stay at Dury is the fact that on both Friday and Saturday nites was the presents of drunken guests wondering around the lobby area. on the first nite, I figured they were coming from Applebee's and were returning back to their room and one male guest was hitting on another female guest. You can tell the female guest was rather uncomfortable as she knew the man and was married. On Saturday nite, someone from the front desk told someone in our group that there was a wedding when asked what was with all the activity in the lobby. So if you're traveling with children just be aware of that.

I'd really reconsider staying with Dury now in the future when I travel. Will be returning to SA for sure and will look towards booking either Dury one of the two Dury hotels located within the Downtown Riverwalk area. Otherwise the Dury Inn & Suites at La Cantera is a solid choice for those looking to shop, visit Fiesta Texas Six Flags or if you're visiting your kid at Univ Of Texas San Antonio since all three are within a mile or 2 from this property.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SNE544

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Check in was a breeze. Hotel was very clean, staff was friendly and parking was safe and easy. The rooms were larger than expected, very quiet and well-appointed. Getting around this area of San Antonio is not user-friendly, but very grateful for the location of the hotel - plenty of places to eat, things to do, shopping, etc.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kamfam5
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We went to the Six flags during the first week of July. The park was very crowded and so was the hotel. The breakfast was ok and the service was friendly. The rooms were clean and fine too. Its proximity to Six flags is a huge bonus to stay here in my personal opinion.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I stayed at this Inn for three business weeks in November. It looks like a new or recently built facility. They have an attractive lobby, excellent rooms, ample free indoor parking, lots of luggage carts, free breakfast, free after work buffet with three free alcholic drinks per night. There is also a nice guest laundry room and a small computer/printer area for guests. Their indoor pool is very attractive but the water was too cold. The hot tub is nice and they have a good work out room. Their elevators are well designed in that each floor has its own enclosed lobby to minimize sound.

They do not have their own restaurant or bar but there is an Appleby's attached to the building.
For those who run, there are seven miles of paved paths through the woods behind the hotel.

Their food is ample but boring. Breakfast included cereals, waffles, donuts, substandard pastries, sausage, biscuits and gravy...every day...no change in the menu...not even different muffins.
Their happy hour buffet was also the same every day---hot dogs, baked potatoes, salad, chips, pretzels, veggie sticks.

Their business center consists of two computers and a printer. The chairs here are also too low to sit in to comfortably use the computers (possibly to discourage long term use).

I stayed in king bed rooms facing the running paths behind the hotel. It was quieter than facing the highway at the front of the building. The bedroom desk would have been nice to use if the chair hadn't been way too low to sit in comfortably. I wish they had laptop desks like the Hampton Inns do. The bathrooms are very large, well lit, and very clean. They also provide shampoo, conditioner, and body wash from three dispensers in the bath.

Their rooms have outstanding temperature and fan controls You can regulate the temperature and the fan level. It was the quietest HVAC I ever encountered in a hotel room. Their phone system has a nice automated wake up feature that allows you to program your wake up time for the whole stay.

The cleaning of my rooms left something to be desired. After checking out the first time, I left a book in the room and called them later in the day but they could not find the book and did not offer to replace it. The second room I stayed in had the shower curtain hung incorrectly and I had to leave a note to get it fixed. The third room I had did not have any soap in it and, when I was packing, I found two mismatched socks and a pen on the floor near my bed. So much for vacuuming! I took the items down and gave them to the general manager who was profusely apologetic but did not comp me anything.

However, I would stay here again because they get the major things right and offer excellent value at a great price. It was my first stay at a Drury Inn and I will stay with the chain again in other cities.

Room Tip: Ask for a quietly located room facing the running paths in the woods. The hotel is quiet during the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
DruryHotels, Manager at Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Near La Cantera Parkway, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay with us. We appreciate hearing from our guests, as we use your feedback to improve our product and services. I want to let you know that the housekeeping issues you experienced have been discussed with our housekeeping team. Also, you will be happy to learn that Drury is always looking to improve and change their breakfast and kickback menus...currently testing several options for breakfast in order to provide a varied menu from day to day. I'm sorry that you did not get to experience our kickback options. We do offer the items you listed on a daily basis, however the other options we provide change at least every other day. We offer macaroni and cheese, chicken tenders, pasta and meatballs, chili, and a variety of soups on a rotating basis.

Again, we appreciate your feedback and your business. I am so glad that you will stay with us when your travels bring you to San Antonio, Texas again!

Rebecca S.
Drury Inn & Suites near La Canterra Parkway

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Couldn't believe our luck that this was the 2nd first class hotel on our 2 week trip. It's a little tricky getting to it but we'll worth the effort. They have a parking.garage below the rooms which keep your car dry from the elements. Nice lobby with efficient friendly check-in staff. The rooms are very large, very comfortable, very clean and quiet. Tracy (I assume the supervisor) was very gracious and greeted customers at "kick back" offering assistance at any time. Lots of choices at kick back and breakfast was fresh tasting. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank james s
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I was in San Antonio on university business so I chose the Drury Inn and Suites near UT San Antonio. I was pleasantly surprised when I pulled in to see it was an attractive new facility.

I was greeted by competent staff and found my room to be clean and appropriately appointed. The facility has a multistory parking garage and their are no additional fees for parking.

The breakfast had a good selection and exceeded my expectations for a free meal.

Room Tip: The access from the freeway is tricky… watch the signs carefully
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

exceeded expectations. super brunch and happy hour. big, clean rooms with comfy beds. good shower pressure. super staff. great location. great parking set up. I joined their golden key club after this visit because I will definitely stay at a Drury inn again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family