“The Best Staff: Competent, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous”

Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Near La Cantera Parkway
Ranked #81 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We have decided that Drury Inn & Suites is our hotel choice when traveling. This is our second experience with this hotel chain for an extended stay, and once again, the staff went over and above to ensure we were at home in their hotel.

First, a big thank you to the staff who answered an early morning call from my elderly parents, went to a local emergency room, and picked up the medical supplies my father needed right away. Who does that for a hotel guest? Rebecca Sheer, Antonio Delatorre and Martha Franco did that for my mom and dad. You three are exceptional people, and I commend you for responding to their needs without hesitation, and with a cheerful attitude.

Second, the maintenance staff at this hotel is top notch, and aggressively pursued our repair / replace needs until they were completed to our satisfaction. Ben, thank you for quieting the blower on our room's air conditioning unit. But, he wasn't personally satisfied with that fix, and so he scheduled a time when we would be out of the room and completely replaced the unit. A thanks to Cesar also for coming up that same day to tweak the lock cover plate on my mom & dad's room.

Third, how about a front desk staff that says hello every time you enter the lobby, and knows you by name? Who does that these days? Lora and Angela do. They are two of the most cheerful people I have seen handle a busy place like the front desk of a big hotel. They take all their responsibilities seriously, and are very courteous in the process.

Fourth, what a great place to meet for a free hot breakfast and a happy hour which includes a hot food bar of hot dogs, baked potatoes, meat balls, salads, fruits! And, once again, served up by a friendly helpful - and very busy - staff. To the folks in the kitchen and behind the food service counter, thank you for keeping a friendly, clean and well stocked dining area running for some 700 people. It's no small feat to keep from running out of scrambled eggs and hot dogs with all those kids!

So, how does all this happen? There is a women who runs this hotel - who I have seen working the floor during breakfast bussing tables, refilling the hot food service equipment, taking out the garbage, and sweeping the floor. I have also asked her questions about services or directions when she was standing in for Lora or Angela or Antonio or Rebecca at the front desk. The manager of this hotel is a wonderful example to her team, and her name is Tracy Thomas. Tracy is one of those rare managers who leads her team not by direction, but by example. It wouldn't surprise me if she could have performed the air conditioner replacement in our room. There is no job beneath her, and she goes about her day as a wonderful example of what true hotel management should be. She is, as the title of this review asserts: Competent, Helpful, Friendly and Courteous.

Did I mention this hotel is a favorite place for Fiesta Texas and Sea World families? It was fully occupied for the Independence Day weekend, and we still received this level of service.

The structure, rooms and grounds are well appointed and very well maintained, but we love this hotel because of the staff. We believe we have found our home away from home when traveling to the northwest side of San Antonio. The staff has won us over with a quality of service that makes this Drury Inn an exceptional hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael S

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel several times because we like the property and location. The staff are very helpful and the rooms are spacious, clean, and well kept. We usually have kids with us, so the indoor pool is a plus since you can swim rain or shine. We will chose this hotel again when traveling to this area.

1  Thank gw91
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay here. Our two boys, ages 3 and 9, loved it here! Very nice property. Breakfast and the evening "Kickback" were great for us- we could eat a big breakfast, head out all day for our activities, and if we were too tired to go back out for dinner, we could eat at the hotel. The parking garage was also nice- we felt very safe and secure. I am also extremely impressed with the high level of customer
service here- the staff members at this Drury are friendly, helpful, and professional. They went above and beyond to brighten our day!!! We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I decided to book a room at The Drury Inn because my two daughters and myself were running in a marathon that was using it as a host hotel.
When booking the room I asked about a late check out because I knew we would be tired after our run and in need of showers. The lady that took the reservation said she would make a note of it. Upon arriving in San Antonio we went straight there. We were treated so nice! They knew all about the run and gave us a check out time of two hours later! The marathon was right outside the back door of the hotel! I never had to move my truck out of the garage! We ate free food and had a beautiful clean room! There was no rush for us to leave after our race. I would recommend this chain and definitely stay here again! We are traveling to Dubai next month, sure wish there was a Drury Inn over there! The hotel staff was on it! I couldn't of asked for anything more and the price was excellent! Checking in and out was so smooth! Thank you Drury Inn!

Room Tip: W were on the 9th floor and loved it!
Reviewed June 14, 2013

After reading reviews here, I booked a promo deal for a couple of nights, Monday and Tuesday of this week, so that we could go to Fiesta Texas. Along with a reduced room rate, we were also able to purchase discounted tickets to the park, which saved us a lot of money. It was a really good deal (promo code FIESTA). Not sure how long this promo runs...

The location is very convenient to the park and various restaurants. The room itself was very nice (and the elevators worked well). The hot breakfast was a nice little bonus, as was the happy hour in the evening. Covered parking in the attached garage was nice, too.

For the ladies who would care about this sort of thing, the showers are equipped with built-in dispensers of shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel. So nothing to hoard and take home. :)

We stayed in the King Suite w/the fold out sofa, which worked out nicely for our daughter, who basically ended up with her own room.

A/C works like a champ!

Room Tip: We were in room 905, which was at the end of the hallway. There's a window overlooking the amuse...
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I've never stayed at a Drury Inn before, but now I'm going to consider it. We stayed for a wedding so we got the group rate, but when they advertise the extras they mean it. Free wifi, free breakfast with ample seating in the dining room, free afternoon snacks too! Also free parking in an enclosed garage. The beds were comfortable. The thing that I kept coming back to was how much value you get for your money. Great property and seems to be well managed.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We just finished our second stay here within the last 3 months. With 3 kids we always prefer to stay at Staybridge Suites when we are travelling but got this hotel much cheaper because of our Farm Bureau Insurance discount online. We'd stayed her on Spring Break and it was super crowded then. Wasn't as crowded this time although it was quite busy. The 5:30 kickback is awesome! This is a very nice hotel. The only thing holding us back from staying a third time is the elevators. It's a pretty large hotel and there are 3 elevators. They seem to stop on every floor. When we stayed on Spring break we had to wait 20 minutes just to check IN to the hotel. Then wait again to go up to the room. We were hoping it wouldn't be so bad this time because it wasn't a holiday but it was. After visiting Fiesta Texas all day the last thing you want to do is wait 20-25 minutes to get on an elevator with 3 cranky kids. But we did. When the elevators would finally open for us, most of the time they were full and we couldn't get on anyway. This is a huge complaint for me. The second issue I have is this hotel has NO locks on the bathroom doors in the rooms. I thought maybe the first time we stayed it may just be the room we got but this time there was no lock either. Who doesn't have locks on the bathroom door?? With 3 kids this can be a huge pain as you can imagine - NO privacy! But the hotel is a very nice hotel and the 5:30 kickback and free breakfast is great. Great location next to Fiesta Texas and right off of I-10. Mostly everyone we came across that worked at the hotel was very friendly, with the exception of one older lady working the breakfast area. She seemed like she really hated her job and people in general. When I asked her for straws (very nicely) she rolled her eyes at me, went to the back to get them and threw them to me when she came back out. I literally had to pick them up off the floor after she threw them. One little girl went up and got a bowl to get some cereal near the closing time and that same lady grabbed the cereal container before she could get to it and said "No more, breakfast is over.". We also watched her close the soda machine as she saw a lady approach it and argued with her a minute before she finally let the lady get some water from it and then slammed the doors shut. I wish I would have gotten her name, she was extremely rude. Besides those hiccups, it is a nice hotel. I just don't know if we will stay here again, solely because of the elevators. It may be worth it to us to spend a little extra for less wait time than 20 minutes up and down.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Near La Cantera Parkway, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thank you so much for being our guest at the Drury Inn & Suites near LaCantera Parkway!

We were thrilled to see that your expectations were exceeded with most aspects of your stay! At Drury, we pride ourselves in our award winning service, and the service issue you brought to our attention is absolutely not the norm for our hotel. This has been addressed with our breakfast team, and I am certain no other guest will share your same experience.

We’ve also been working very closely with our elevator company, and it was determined a major repair needed to be made. I’m happy to report the repair was made just recently and the wait time has been minimal.

We look forward to having you back as our guest very soon!