“Surprised at how great this stay was!!!”

Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Near La Cantera Parkway
Ranked #80 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed August 14, 2011

This will be the first time I ever write a review for a hotel I stayed at. It is just that this hotel exceeded my expectations so much that I felt I needed to write a review. The hotel was very clean and looked like a couple 4 to 5 star hotels I have stayed at for business trips when you first walk in. We stayed here to go to Fiesta Texas and were pleasantly surprised at the selection for breakfast and dinner. The dinner is more for kids but the kids thought it was the best thing ever. The breakfast had everything you could ask for and it was all hot. The pool was a little chilly for me but the kids did not seem to notice. It was very clean and very nice being indoors. I spent most of my indoor pool time in the jacuzzi which was very nice. Parking in the secured parking garage with cameras gave a little more of a secure feeling than a normal hotel and the car stayed a lot cooler than when parking outdoors. This has been one of the best stays we have had as a family, even topping the Marriotts that we have stayed at. We received a room that faced Fiesta Texas so we got to see the fireworks at night from the park which is not far at all. Staff was as nice as I have seen at any hotel including cleaning staff. The cleaning staff seemed friendlier than most cleaning staff who look down when you usually walk down the hall, they actually smiled and said hi. The ONLY thing I didn't like about staying here was that we received a flier under the door from a local business for lunch/dinner. Now I have stayed in San Antonio numerous times and know that there are a couple of scam artist food places that hit the hotels everyday and place fliers under the doors. The San Antonio hotels seem to have a hard time keeping these people out of their hotels even though they know that there are thousands of complaints against these scam artists. Just make sure anytime you receive food fliers under your door at a hotel, that you look them up online first and make sure there aren't thousands of complaints about them. This particular one has changed their name several times over the last few years because of their scams.

Room Tip: Get a room on the Fiesta Texas side to view the nightly fireworks.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed August 13, 2011

Our family rented 2 rooms for 3 nights and didn't realize we would be getting suites; worked out perfectly. We had 2 rooms together (no connecting door) with myself and Mom in one room and my sister, her daughter and 2 grandkids in the other room. Plenty of room in the living room with a comfy couch and chairs w/desk, there is a hall to the bedroom with the bath and kitchen area in it and then a quite large bedroom with 2 beds. We had a wonderful free hot breakfast each day, free drinks and popcorn in the afternoon and free dinner each evening (dinner wasn't fancy but the kids loved it and it was OK for adults). Fiesta and Sea World are not very far away and the shops are great - my niece and I got pedicures one day. There is a Cracker Barrell not far down the road where we ate one evening. Great vacation and would definitely stay here again. Manager and staff were great and very kid friendly.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank TexasCityTexas
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed at this hotel due to it's proximity to my daughters cheerleading competition. The hotel staff were courteous and polite, eager to meet our every need. They have a great manager's reception (dinner time) and a good selection at breakfast. You just have to get there early (for breakfast) or you'll be forced to settle what's remaining near the end. We had a suite and it was clean and had ample space. The beds were great and the rooms had flat-screen T.V.'s. The hotel has Wi-Fi which was fast and a business center in case you forgot you laptop. There is a wide variety of restaurants and retailers available close by for those forgotten items. The only negative is that the hotel was populated by a ton of cheerleaders (some very young) who tended to bog the elevators with their constant moving between floors. It was a ridiculous wait sometimes 10-15 minutes just to get an elevator only to find cheerleaders playing around. Other than that, it was a good stay at a great value.

Room Tip: Use the stairs if you room is close to the parking garage to avoid long waits for the elevator if ch...
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Such a nice airy clean tall room. Everyone was pleasant, the food for breakfast was amazing and the pool area was well kept clean. Highly recommend a stay here. If it is a few dollars more, it is well worth it. They usually have coupons for discounts on their website too!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Our family of 4 stayed 2 nights to go to Fiesta Texas. The hotel was close to the park and had many restaurants close by. Staff was kind and helpful. Staff worked hard to keep the hotel clean with many kids enjoying the amenities. we would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Love to stay at this hotel. It is so close to great shopping and Fiesta Texas. It is always clean and the beds are comfortable. The only con for this hotel is the amount of pets that are allowed.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room, less noise.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed at the Drury Inn & Suites Near La Canter in San Antonio, TX on June 25th - 27th. This was our first time staying at this location... We chose it because we were going to do a Six Flags / Schillterbahn vacation rather than just a San Antonio stay. First off, I have to say that we were pleasantly surprised at how the property looked overall. It's a newer Drury and it is very nice. The main lobby area looked fancier than the hotel name suggest. The staff was really nice and very helpful. The room was alot bigger than your standard room. I requested and received the Six Flags view which was nice... In fact, I also requested the top floor which they accomodated me with which was nice considering my kids think staying on the top floor equates to the best... (It was nice, though.) I was especially impressed with the bathroom. Marble tile?!? I think, but it was the size of the bathroom that had me smiling. Alot larger than your average hotel bathroom. Even the toilet had its own section which was a room within a room, so to speak. Nice touch. Another thing that was very nice was the free parking garage. The hotel sits on top of the parking garage. Even though the hotel was packed... We still were able to get a parking space right next to the elevators. This was especially helpful for us considering the temperature was pushing the century mark each day. Nice to have a cooler car to get in without having to wait till it cools down the cabin. My only real gripe, which it wasn't bad, just could be alot better was there breakfast and "happy hour." For one thing, the food is extremely average. There is limited space to stand in line especially if it is busy and the food could stand to be alot more hot. For example, the happy hour consisted of hot dogs, nachos, baked potatoes and mac n cheese. The buns were cold, almost like they came out of the fridge. The weiners were barely lukewarm, the potatos did not appear to be fresh. It was ok, but not something that seem to fit the overall ambience of the hotel, especially since the hotel is so new. The breakfast was basically the same. Barely warm, running, scrambled eggs, sausage that needed to be heated more, again, just very average at best. This is the only reason why I can't give an excellent rating. However, this did not deter us from remarking how nice the overall stay was... We will definitely be back. Hopefully, their food preparation and choices will improve.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family