“Amazing Service and Value !!!!!”

Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #7 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed March 24, 2006

What a remarkable hotel! My husband and I along with three children and one nephew stayed at the Drury Inn lasst week. First of all, for a party as large as ours I was worried about having enough room. We stayed in one of the Two Queen Bed Suites with a fold out sofa. It was very comfortable and we even had a very large terrace (balcony) off our room. With the free breakfast, happy hour, snacks and soda fountain, this was an incredible value...we payed $139 for two nights and then the price bumped up to $189 the last night. Considering we would have probably had to pay for two hotel rooms anywhere else and pay for breakfast and snacks, this was an excellent deal!!!

The most impressive part of our stay was the service we experienced. Almost every staff person we encountered from housekeeping to front desk asked us how our stay was going!!! We rode on the elevator with a maintenance man who asked us how everything was with our stay and asked us if we needed anything...same thing with a housekeeper. How they train ALL of their staff to be this customer oriented is a miracle!

Another example of their top notch service was the front desk staff. An employee named Ana went above and beyond what is normally expected of hotel front desk staff. We had ordered Spurs tickets from a broker in San Antonio and were asking directions from Ana. She told us the broker office was pretty far from the hotel and suggested that the broker might deliver the tickets to the hotel. She called the broker number and I expected her to hand the phone to me, but she took care of the whole situation! It was like having a personal assistant! The manager was also very friendly and helpful.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to San Antonio. I know we will be back again!

• Stayed: March 2006
13  Thank lsteiner

Reviewed March 8, 2006

Made a reservation (through the hotel) after seeing the great reviews on this site. Traveling with two college daughters on their spring break...As we were attempting to be somewhat budget minded, we had a suite that had a king bed in separate room and a living area with sofabed.....work well for the three nights we were there. Location is great.....breakfast and happy hour make this a bargain at $150/night..(sat. night was a little higher...sun. and mon...lower). Close to all major tourist things in downtown and close to bus stops for further out. Rooms were clean and housekeeping attentive.....business center off lobby was first rate.....front desk staff was outstanding...always very friendly and helpful. The best part,though, is the building itself..A restored oil company building that is a historic landmark...the lobby is lovely...,window treatments reflect the era, etc....a lovely facade from the riverwalk also. Located at a bit quieter area of the Riverwalk...but there was a restaurant directly across from our balcony that had mariachis playing occassionally ...but was delightful....quick access to more restaurants and the restaurant at river level of hotel was very good.....Would definitely stay here again..

• Stayed: March 2006
10  Thank crony
Reviewed March 6, 2006

Having never been to San Antonio we decided we'd spend our one night in the city on the Riverwalk. I was pleasantly surprised that the Drury was as nice as descibed on their website. The room we had facing the Riverwalk was plenty big for my husband and I and it was very clean and comfortable. I especially liked the high ceilings. Unlike an earlier reviewer, we had no trouble with the "thin walls" and didn't really hear much from the hotel once we closed our door. The only noise we heard was the bad 80's music coming from a bar across the river that eventually lulled us to sleep. Other than that, everything was fine. The staff was great and when at check-out I brought to their attention that I didn't get charged the $12 parking fee ,they waived the charge. (honesty DOES pay :) Overall a nice hotel in a lovely city. Despite the loud music, this is the quieter end of
the Riverwalk and I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2006
5  Thank rmc76
Reviewed February 13, 2006

Perhaps this rating is overly harsh, however I consider the ability to sleep essential to any hotel experience. This hotel, despite a great location, considerable charm in the common areas for the price, and a delicious breakfast, did not provide a decent night's sleep.

Several months ago, my 4 newly or nearly 40 year-old friends and I booked two suites for a reunion weekend in San Antonio. At the time we made the reservation we were told that special requests for adjoining rooms were "nearly always honored." (And, in fact, we paid a higher rate for the room - - $209 a night - -by booking adjoining suites directly with the hotel than we could have found online, where we couldn't guarantee adjoining rooms.) When we arrived, we were told there were no adjoining rooms available and we were put on the same floor instead.

If that wasn't bad enough, at about 3:30 am on the first night we were awakened by wretching and groaning from the poor stranger in the adjoining room who apparently "drank the water" - -or too many margaritas - - in Mexico that day. Because there is no insulation between the rooms, It sounded like he was in our bathroom. This, unfortunately for him and us, continued off and on all night long. In the morning, we complained and were moved to another room for the remaining 2 nights. This new room, likewise, had paper thin walls (as did the second room for our goup). Allthough nobody was throwing up in the room next door, we could still hear our neighbors talking at normal volume - -and our friends could hear their neighbors as well. (And I'm sure our neighbors could hear us!)

I would not recommend this hotel to others unless they were deaf.

• Stayed: February 2006
11  Thank kft421
Reviewed February 11, 2006

The highest recommendation I can give this hotel is that if I return to San Antonio or go anywhere else that has a Drury Inn I will certainly use them. The position on the riverwalk was perfect. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The breakfast and evening drinks were fine and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
We had a lovely four days in a beautiful city.

• Stayed: January 2006
14  Thank gibjan
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 5, 2006

The rooms are quite clean and well-kept, and they have notably high ceilings. The same level of cleanliness applies to the pool at the top of the hotel. The staff is truly superb - friendly, helpful, and efficient, with kudos to the general manager, Mr. Cepeda. (How often do you remember a hotel manager's name seven months after you've visited?) All the staff made us feel truly welcome. The free breakfast is quite good for the price; the sometimes-long lines attest to that: if you're in a rush, avoid the 'wafflemakers' and grab some fresh fruit. The staff, in a friendly, helpful manner, does their best to keep the line moving.

At the time we visited, it's clear that this hotel is a excellent deal for family vacationers. Business travelers -may- find this hotel to have a bit too much hubbub. Without taking away from the qualities of this hotel - and there are many - if you have a make-or-break business meeting in the morning, or if you insist on tomb-like quiet in the lobby, this may not be the hotel for you. It all depends on who's staying next door to you. But for families it's utterly perfect. The soundproofing, for our purposes, was quite adequate.

Put it this way: unless I have a make-or-break, extremely critical, bet-the-company business meeting, there's no reason for me to go hotel-hunting in San Antonio anymore. I'll just make reservations here.

One note about the hotel's parking structure: if you drive a larger minivan or SUV, be prepared for some very tight maneuvers. When the lot is crowded, you may have to 'create' your own parking space in the corners of the parking structure. Travelers with small cars should have no problem.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 18, 2006

You get a lot here for your money.We had a 2 room suite with a balcony that gave a partial view of the river. The rooms are a little dark and dreary for my taste, but they were comfortable enough,and considering that the room cost much less than most hotels on the Riverwalk, it was a real bargain. The Belgian waffles for breakfast, and the afternoon drinks were very good.There is free internet use in a room off of the lobby. The rooftop pool was nice enough, although not heated. The gym was really bad-only 2 treadmills and 1 bike. Parking was reasonable.I think housekeeping could have done a better job-the carpet was on the dirty side, with candy found in the corner and under the beds. All in all, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2005