“Awesome all around”

Red Roof PLUS+ San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk
Ranked #170 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Everything about this hotel far exceeded my expectations. The price is far less than I'd ever expect to pay for a hotel of this quality so close to the heart of downtown San Antonio. The customer service is straight-forward, and excellent. The rooms are nicely furnished, recently remodeled, clean, and very comfortable. The free breakfast is well-stocked, simple, and very adequate.

It was the little things here and there that impressed me, and that make me want to return. The room was very, very cold. The shower didn't take too long to heat up. The bed was firm, but soft. The channel line up included two different HBO channels. The remote wasn't finicky (most places we stay, the remote has to be pointed directly at the TV to work). The room had a small fridge and microwave.

The only complaint I have is that one of the two elevators in the front was broken, but that was just a tiny annoyance. Anyone visiting San Antonio and wishing to stay at an affordable hotel close to downtwon and the Riverwalk would be wise to stay here.

Room Tip: Parking is only $7 per night There's a $1.50 per night safe charge that you can ask to have rem...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank frawgster
Red Roof Inn S, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

We appreciate you sharing your experience with our hotel! Like you, we believe in concentrating on the small details. We work hard to deliver a positive experience to every guest that enters our doors and I will be sure to share your comments with the staff to encourage them to keep up the great work. I know they will be happy to read your comments! We appreciate your business and hope to see you again next time you visit the Alamo City.

There are newer reviews for Red Roof PLUS+ San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Newly remodeled rooms were clean and spacious, but the reason for the excellent rating was the customer service. Jessie, Mark, Willie and Zach were especially helpful for everything from extra towels to suggesting the best places to eat. However, service was brought to a new level on our check out day when our charter bus showed up six hours late. Darlene the manager brought out water and snacks, opened up the conference meeting room for us to store luggage and watch movies, and even found six open rooms when it looked like we may not be leaving. When I get back to San Antonio, you can be sure I will be booking a room at the Red Roof Inn--Downtown.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank ScottP1964
Red Roof Inn S, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you so much for writing such a lovely review about our hotel and team here in San Antonio. We had the best time with your group and I am very proud that we were able to service you and the wonderful group of teens from Minnesota. We had so much fun while you and the kids were here. We were very impressed by the manners and group camaraderie; so much so that most of us went home talking about how great you all were. It was our pleasure to service you and I am very happy that you were pleased with not only your accommodations but with our team making you feel comfortable and welcome. We all hope you had a safe trip home! Thank you again and we all look forward to serving you again should you ever return the beautiful Alamo City!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I can not say enough good things about the Red Roof in Downtown San Antonio. I just spent the last seven days there. All of the staff was so easy to work with. They went above and beyond to make us feel llike family. They even were willing to sing a happy birthday wake up call. Thank you Jessie, Mark, and Zack! The rooms were very clean ( thank you Stephanie) and tidy. At the end our trip we had an unexpected delay with our charter bus and was stuck at the hotel for 6 hours. Darlene and the rest of her staff were amazing at providing accomdations for us in this difficult situation including providing a case of water for our group. I would definitely bring my family back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank L G
Red Roof Inn S, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you so much for kind words regarding your stay with us! Times like this make me proud to lead a team who is so dedicated to customer service. I will be sure to post this for the staff to see immediately. We appreciate your group choosing to stay with us and look forward to seeing you next time you visit our great city!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I traveled to San Antonio from Michigan to go to court to get my nephews kids out of protective services, and bring them home to Michigan where they belong. Mr. Mark Issak (one of the front desk staff at the hotel) helped me write a letter to the judge! (Who does that!?) Without that letter we would not have been able to even see the judge. I had trouble with the Hotel's front desk computer, Mark Issak finished the letter and reformatted it for us so that it looked professional. He delivered it to our door at 11:00 PM the night before court! The letter opened the door for us to speak to the judge and now 5 beautiful children get to come home to their family next month. The staff bent over backward to help us, and I will never stay anywhere else in San Antonio. They made sure everything was clean and quiet and made us feel at home! A shout out to Jesse and Zach too. Never have I had such great service!! Thank you Mark & all the staff at Red Roof Inn Downtown San Antonio! God bless you for your kindness toward us!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lisa S

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review about our team here in San Antonio. I am so happy to hear that we were able to help you in such an important time in you and your nephews’ life. It is our goal to make our guest feel not only welcome but comfortable while they are here and to go above and beyond as Mark did makes me so proud. I am so glad that you were happy with your accommodations but ecstatic that our team gave you the service that went above and beyond! I will be sure to print this posting for the entire team to see. Thank you again for such a nice review and we all look forward to serving you again should your travels return you to the area.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband and I came for a few days on vacation on a budget. We stayed here bc it was one of the best deals and in walking distance to the river walk. It's about a 5-10 min walk and saved us from parking ( there is a $7 parking fee per day) but worth it. It was
Clean and remodeled. Not a bad place for the price!

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Mercmed
Red Roof Inn S, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel! I am so happy that you found our hotel to be a great value. Within walking distance of the Riverwalk, many guests enjoy our great location! We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Alamo city!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We were in for Lackland AFB graduation (4 night stay). All hotel staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. Room was very comfortable and reasonably clean. I say reasonably because laminate floor was gritty and kind of nasty. Walking on floor in socks left visible dirt / hair on feet...ewe!...... I would have expected a deeper cleaning of the room between customers. Faucet in sink was ajar. I told maintenance but no response while we were there. I'm surprised housekeeping has not reported issue as it was difficult to turn water on / off. Breakfast offerings were very basic, prepackaged pastries and bagels, fruit. On a 4 day stay, I would have liked to see a little variation and real milk or cream instead of powdered for coffee. 5th floor vending machine ripped us off for drinks a couple of times. Location was great. All in all, I would stay here again.... I appreciate the fact that the manager is commenting personally on most of the feedback posts. While some of my comments (and others) may seem 'nit picky' to some, the take away here is attention to detail. Attention to detail is the difference between a so-so average hotel (or business) and a great one!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kayrock65

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. It is feedback like yours which helps us in re-training our housekeeping staff to provide better service and more attention to detail. We are working hard to improve in this area and I am confident that on your next stay with us, you will have a much better experience. We appreciate you choosing Red Roof Inn and look forward to seeing you on your next stay.

Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Our second stay here in about 4 years. We like the price and simplicity. The location requires a 3 block walk to the Alamo, river center mall or Riverwalk (hence the price). The rooms have been updated and all staff we encountered (especially Maribel) were helpful and friendly. Our room's wood laminate floors were pet friendly as advertised but not so nice for two kids under 3 walking around. We requested that it be cleaned and they did sweep the hair that was everywhere but we couldn't tell any mopping took place. Maribel comped our parking fees for the trouble. Probably won't stay here again.

1  Thank William D
Red Roof Inn S, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. For all of our guests who stay more than one night, we offer a Go Green Service option, which limits the usage of chemicals and water into our ecosystem. With this service, we make your bed, replace your towels and empty your trash during each day of your stay. If you decide that you would like your room to be fully serviced each day, you simply let the front desk know or leave your Go Green card on your bed to notify housekeeping. I apologize if this was not communicated clearly.

On your next stay, please let the front desk know that you would like full service each day of your stay and we would be more than happy to accommodate that request for you.

We appreciate your feedback and sincerely hope that you give us another chance to better serve you in the future.