“Excellent all around experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Red Roof PLUS+ San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk
Ranked #146 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Cleburne, TX
“Excellent all around experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

I was thoroughly impressed with every aspect of this hotel. The staff was EXTREMELY courteous, the room was wonderful, I had NO complaints at all about anything that was within the hotels control. The nice lady who checked me in offered me use of their computers to get internet specials for Sea World, she treated my 9 year old as if she was an adult guest as well, she even gave my dog a treat!!! We were just a few short blocks from the Riverwalk and all it has to offer. I will most certainly be staying here again when I come back to San Antonio!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Red Roof Inn S, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post such a nice review about your experience with our brand here in the beautiful Alamo city. I am so happy to hear that you were impressed with the hotel and that our staff welcomed you and made you feel at home. It is our goal to give our guest a great stay for a great price this includes our four legged family members. We look forward to serving you and your family again when you return to the area.

Best Regards,

Bryan Lawyer, CHA
Red Roof Inn San Antonio Downtown
i0248@redroof.com
210-229-9973

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

I don't normally write bad reviews as I believe in "if you dont have anything nice to say" however I feel I have to warn other people from the fantasy of staying off the "riverwalk with a view for the deluxe room" - NOT my "deluxe room view of the riverwalk" was more like a view of a run down mechanic shop. Once in my room I rec'd a charge for a safe that I couldn't use. It was broken and when the front desk came to "fix" it they said that they had to come back I just told them to forget it as I was not going to wait around until someone came and waste my trip. The hair dryer in the room did not work and the AC unit in the room kept coming and going sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt. This hotel does not appear to have central AC even in the lobby and hallways). They offered to call me when they could move me to another room and never got a call back. The "breakfast bar" was over croweded with lack of seating. When i pressed to get orange juice it was just water. This is within walking distance of the river walk however you have to go underneath a freeway overpass and around a shady corner to get to the Riverwalk area. I could understand these issues if I had paid the same as a Motel 6 but I shelled out almost $200.00 for one night to be honest it just was not worth it - if you want fancy for $200.00 do not stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Red Roof Inn S, Assistant General Manger at Red Roof PLUS+ San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with our hotel. I am truly sorry that you had this experience and would like to reassure you that your concerns will be addressed with the team. It is our goal to give our guest’s a great stay for a great price and apologize that you do not feel this way. If you would like to contact me at the hotel I would love to tell you in person and see what I can do to help rectify the issues you had with your accommodations. Thank you again for making us aware and hope to hear from you
Darlene Silva
Assistant General Manager

Travelers are raving about these San Antonio hotels

Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Even though they have remodeled rooms, I found a sink that had no working stopper and a water wasting toilet with a bad flapper. However, the room was clean, the breakfast good, and within easy walking distance to the Gonzalous Convention Center and River Walk. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Red Roof Inn S, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
We thank you for letting us know about the few minor maintenance areas of opportunity and allowing us to correct it for our future guests. We are so glad that you stayed with us and enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and our great location within easy walking distance to the Alamo and Riverwalk. We look forward to your future stays!

Assistant General Manager
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I booked a room here for my daughter & I on one of the busiest weekends of the year in S.A. through Booking.com about a month before my arrival. First, Booking did NOT forward my reservation so when I got here the hotel had no reservatipossible. r me & was sold out for one of the nights I booked.

But thank God for staff that really go above and beyond. Ivan, Zack (dark glasses & all), Maribel, Roger & their fearless leader/manager Darlene pulled out all the stops, got me a room for that night plus the all other nights I had booked so that I didn't have to stay at a friend's for one night & then come back, & made sure I got to someplace I NEEDED to go without having to walk.

The location may be seedy to the left but the walking distance to Riverwalk & other downtown activities (to the right) is just perfect...enough to walk down the food eaten on the Riverwalk LOL.

Thanks for making my stay as seamless as possible.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your review about your stay in the beautiful Alamo city. We were very pleased to have been able to accommodate you and your daughter. We will be sure to pass on the wonderful comments to our team! Please come back and see us again soon!

Asst. General Manager
Fort Worth, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed for 4 nights in April 2013 at the Red Roof-San Antonio Downtown location. Like you, I was looking for a hotel within ease of walking distance to The Alamo and other downtown attractions, but was looking to avoid the frilly prices of paying $150, $200 or more at the more premier hotels right on the RiverWalk. I thought when I picked this Red Roof, I did the right thing...I couldnt have been more wrong. First off, the hotel looks new,..but is old..maybe at least 20 years or more. They did a recent renovation, but that isnt saying much...but all said, its ok. The major problem with their "next-gen" renovation, which is them going from the traditional look of a budget motel to the next-gen concept which features wood floors and flat screen tvs seems like heavenly bliss at first...but its horror in disguise. Removing the carpet and replacing it with faux wood in all the rooms and hallways amplifies noise from other rooms and the indoor hallways...so everytime someone leaves you hear it...boy, do you hear it!...elevators, stairwells,..just more to add to your headache...and that nice big screen tv you have in your room, is the same nice big flat screen tv your neighbor has in their room...and unlike old traditional tube tvs which sit about a foot away from the wall and have smaller speakers....these flat screens are mounted RIGHT AGAINST THE WALLS...so when your neighbor watches late nite semi-pro wrestling...youre gonna hear every announcement mixed in with the audio of whatever youre TRYING to watch. ....also, the bathtubs have bathtub stops that are PURPOSELY TOO HIGH to allow closure...which means if youre wanting to close the stop to fill the tub with water to take a bath (instead of a shower), youre gonna have to stop up the bathtub drainage with the hotel's towels (just like I had to) in order for the bathtub to fill up with water. ...and lastly, this hotel (like so many other hotel chains out there is adopting the popular concept of these new digitally preset air conditioning/heating units that can not be adjusted too high or too low to your desired liking. ....sort of like a speed governor on a car's speedometer. ..you cant adjust the cool lower than like 50F,..or the heat higher than like 70F...because the hotel is a cheapskate and doesnt care about the comfort of your stay and wants to keep their electric bill as low as possible. ..they would yank the ac unit out altogether, if they thought they could still book guests without it. ....and lastly...this hotel is on the fringe outskirts of a bad,..bad, crime ridden area just to the immediate east of where the hotel sits....how close you ask? ...look on a map, and you'll see train tracks,..dont go east of the train tracks unless you'd like to die via a gang-related drive by shooting. ...Im not being superficial either...cause there was 2 that occured,..one the night before I arrived, and the other occured on my 3rd night stay. If youre taking Amtrak to or from this hotel, its within walking distance, and a taxicab fare is just $5.00....the local San Antonio VIA bus doesnt take you to Amtrak. ....It will get you close, but not close enough...and youll have to ride it for about 30 minutes just to get to that spot thats close, but still requires you to walk a few blocks. ....and lastly, If you still insist on staying at this hotel, despite my warnings...make sure to address your concerns to Darlene [--]-the manager...she's the only staff member who acts with genuine concern of any issues the guests bring up. The night staff doesnt care, and one young man on the night shift wears dark sunglasses as if he could care less about making direct eye contact with any of the guests. ....This is easily one of the worst hotels Ive stayed at in some time...dont let the nice facades fool you...its just lipstick on a pig.

Room Tip: you will want to request a high level floor, away from stairwells and elevators as this hotel emits...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
We are sorry for the experiences that you had during your stay. Please accept our apologies and we are addressing your concerns as a team.

Asst. General Manager
San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

At first, I thought I had made an error because it seemed so far out of downtown. But after one day, no problem. In fact, wwe looked at it as good excersise. And we were able to do all that we had set out to do. The rooms are adequate--clean, functional. And I loved being able to get coffee any time of the day. The staff was very friendly and helpful, especially Ivan, who learned my name the very first day.

Room Tip: Overall, g good inexpensive, clean place to stay
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Max J, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for posting a review about your stay at our hotel. We are all very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found that our location was able to still suit your needs. I am very glad that you enjoyed our wonderful city and that you were able to enjoy all the things you set out to do. I will be sure to share your comments with the team especially Ivan, he will be tickled with your comments as he works so hard to ensure our guest’s satisfaction. Thank you again and we all look forward to serving you again should you return to our wonderful city.
Darlene Silva AGM
1011 E Houston ST.
San Antonio TX 78205
(210)229-9973 i0248redroof.com
hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

With newly renovated rooms and new bedding, this was a great place to stay. We stayed on the upper floor. Quiet air-conditioning unit and very comfortable beds made for a good sleep. With just a short walk to Riverwalk, we were able to not worry bout finding parking (i.e. using the secured hotel lot at $7.00 pkg fee was worth it). Friendly staff. I would return here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank My2senseHawaii
Thank you for writing a review about your experience with our hotel here in beautiful San Antonio. I am very happy to hear that you and your family had a great time in our city and that you were pleased with your accommodations. It was a pleasure to our team to have served you and we all look forward to your return should your travels return you to our area.
Darlene Silva AGM