“Loved the oversized rooms - very nice hotel!”

Hyatt Place San Antonio/Riverwalk
Ranked #40 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed July 23, 2009

I had actually reserved a room at another hotel but when we got into town our 4 wheel drive truck would not fit in the parking garage (which costs an extra $20 a day). So, we happened upon the Hyatt Place.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn there was not an additional fee for parking and there was easy access in and out of the lot.

The staff was extremely friendly and quickly accomodated our need for a room. Since my husband and I were traveling with our two teenage boys, we were quite pleased with the oversize room, sitting area and refridgerator.

The hotel is not exactly on the riverwalk but it is just a short little walk away and we made the trip several times during our stay.

Overall, a great value and I would definitely stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed July 20, 2009

I would stay again in the hotel. Right on Riverwalk close to everything that you need in walking distance. Had a great time. Great Service.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 19, 2009

What a nice hotel! I got our room through Priceline - Got a killer rate too. Rooms were very nice and spacious. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful, especially with directions. I usually don't sleep well in hotels, but The beds and pillows were very comfortable. The sidewalk out the back door was a convenient way to get to the Riverwalk. We got so lucky getting into this hotel, sometimes its hard to guess where to stay when you aren't familiar with the city. The free parking and free internet access were nice perks as well.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2009

I booked this hotel using priceline name you own price. Paid $58/night by doing this instead of the $150+ rate per night the hotel and other sites offered! Very spacious modern decor room with pull out bed queen size! Bathroom a tad small but sufficient, not so close to the busy part of the Riverwalk so we drove there but took about 5 minutes max, so no big deal. Complimentary breakfast and starbucks coffee before 9:30 so bring the kids, I would definitely stay here again. :D

oh yea, the parking is free! unlike other hotels around the same area. :D

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed June 29, 2009

Great location-
1 block right or left out doors takes you to a street car line. Roof top pool was very small for size of hotel. Be prepared to spend most of your time in the pool with many unsupervised children. Valet was slow at night but quick leaving on a Sunday. Room was very clean and large with comfortable bed. Some rooms face hotel interior atrium while others can face the Alamo. Bars are slow but friendly. Great entrance and exit to the riverwalk but a little complicated to find- needs more signs. Elevators are fast and very often. Did not care for the slamming of the doors when people come in late.Unfortunatley- we had to call the front desk on our neighbors for being too loud on their cell phones and leaving teenagers unattended in the rooms to slam doors all night. But all in all- we enjoyed this hotel and location.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2009

The area was fine. The hotel was on the riverwalk away from all of the attractions. The area was quiet. It was about a 10- 15 minute walk on the street and about 20 - 25 minute walk around the river to get to the main attractions. When we checked in we had difficulty getting our Summer Family discount that we were given through Hyatt on line booking. We were approached with one attendants attitude as we tried to explain and get some explanation as to why we could no longer receive the discount. Which was the main reason why we wanted to stay. After going through two managers, we finally received what we requested. The rooms were rather nice expect the bathrooms were very small. The door met the commode. It was like having to stand in the tub to close the door. The bathroom floor had hair on it and we had problems with the commode. The elevators were very slow. The continental breakfast was healthy which I appreciate. The pool was nice and heated. The room had a very large TV, but not many channels. The beds slept super great. I only wished they had a microwave oven. Ninety percent of the staff was very nice. Anything I needed they provided. Another plus is the free parking.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2009

For anyone who doesn't want to read all of this (it's a lot), here are the key points: spacious rooms, substandard staff, incredibly slow and aging elevators, tiny bathrooms, not the most stable power grid (was without power for an hour in the middle of a movie in my room). The price is too high unless you consider that parking is plentiful at this hotel - self-parking is free. River view cost is NOT worth it. Only get it if it's only a few dollars more (and I mean less than $10 more; it's not worth more than that). Sure, you get a balcony, but there's nothing -- I mean, nothin' -- to look at. Except a few ducks. That's it. Stay at another hotel. I love Hyatt, but this one flopped. Unfortunately, I may be a bit overly critical as I had previously stayed at a Hyatt resort... I don't recommend this for the picky / classy traveler -- Regency or Grand Hyatts (and resorts) are more appropriate for people like you and me.

All right. I'm going to try to be as honest as possible here. I love Hyatt - I could never stay at another type of hotel chain - I love my Hyatt rewards points, but this hotel needs some improvements. First off, let me tell you what they did right.

The manager and I were unable to reach each other via phone as I tried to get my rate adjusted because it had plummeted by 25% since I had first placed the reservation, and not only was it adjusted but I was given complimentary breakfast coupons (for hot items -- cereals, bagels, and fruit along with OJ and coffee are free; eggs/bacon/french toast/etc are not) for each night that I stayed. The rooms, wow! Very nicely sized, except the bathroom... The bathrooms are UNBELIEVABLY SMALL. You have to stand to the side in order for you to be able to close the door -- I've never seen that small of a bathroom in ANY hotel or motel, for that matter.

Nice lights, the TV is decent, even though it's an HDTV yet a lot of the channels appeared in standard definition with black bars on the top and bottom, and gray bars on the left and right side. The beds, WOW! I was able to sleep like a baby (I normally do at home and not at hotels). Highly recommend the beds. Room was AMAZINGLY quiet! Really, really quiet! That's about where my compliments stop.

The staff, though friendly, was, at times, unhelpful. I felt like there was a lot of potential, but there are a few reasons that I will never stay at this hotel ever again:

1) Painfully slow elevators that beeped madly at you if more than five people get into an elevator at one time. On average, I probably waited about one minute each time for the elevator. Keep in mind there are only TWO for the entire seven floors, and once it gets to your floor, you have to wait another 20 seconds for the elevator to align properly then for the doors to slowly open. They take longer to close. I was almost embarrassed to bring my partner to this hotel, but the rooms made up for it. Terry is an awesome (assistant) manager. If you ever have a problem, talk to him -- he'll take care of you.

2) The rest of the staff (Terry not included) is a bit unfriendly (and I'm a really friendly person! Really!) and the maintenance team didn't really seem like a maintenance team but a bunch of guys that fixed stuff when it went wrong... which brings me to number...

3) My power went out. I tried to turn on a light in my room and poof! I called down to the front desk (this is where number 2 makes more sense) and said "My power in my room is out" and they asked "Are you sure?"... Yeah, I'm pretty sure, guys -- here in the dark, everything's dead. "Well, you're talking to me, so it's not all out! *slight laughter from front desk rep*"... "OK, well can you send someone up here?"

It took almost an hour to get my power back on, and no, I wasn't using an iron or a blow dryer as the "maintenance team" suggested. It was almost midnight and I was enjoying a movie when this mess happened.

4) What's up with the tiny bathrooms?... That's all I can say about that one.

5) The "river" view is definitely a joke. You stare at a minuscule stream of water... the colors a bit awkward, there are a few ducks, and there are only other hotels to look at on the other side. That's not a view. The extra cost is barely justified by a balcony, but if you're going between late April and late August, you'll barely use it because it's so grotesquely hot. We were outside all of three minutes during our entire three-night stay.

Overall, the room was spacious, and that pleased me. Once I stepped outside, though, it was just disappointing overall. Elevators are scratched up/beat up, too, and it made me feel a bit ghetto. I recommend this for anyone who isn't going to stay in San Antonio to enjoy everything it has to offer. I know that Hyatt Place caters to "business and weekend travelers" as I was informed by four different Hyatt telephone reps, but I don't recommend it for anyone but the business travelers. For business, wow... a fantastically sized room, but I recommend staying at another nearby hotel for a lower rate. Aloft is a newer chain and seemed to hold some promise -- I almost regret not going with that one, but like I said, I'll probably always stay with Hyatt -- just not a Hyatt Place in the future - only Regency or Grand Hyatts. It was a great effort, but just not worth it. Better luck for me next time.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple