“Big room, river view not worth the extra money, and customer service needs improvement.”

Hyatt Place San Antonio/Riverwalk
Ranked #39 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed June 7, 2009

For anyone who doesn't want to read all of this (it's a lot), here are the key points: spacious rooms, substandard staff, incredibly slow and aging elevators, tiny bathrooms, not the most stable power grid (was without power for an hour in the middle of a movie in my room). The price is too high unless you consider that parking is plentiful at this hotel - self-parking is free. River view cost is NOT worth it. Only get it if it's only a few dollars more (and I mean less than $10 more; it's not worth more than that). Sure, you get a balcony, but there's nothing -- I mean, nothin' -- to look at. Except a few ducks. That's it. Stay at another hotel. I love Hyatt, but this one flopped. Unfortunately, I may be a bit overly critical as I had previously stayed at a Hyatt resort... I don't recommend this for the picky / classy traveler -- Regency or Grand Hyatts (and resorts) are more appropriate for people like you and me.

All right. I'm going to try to be as honest as possible here. I love Hyatt - I could never stay at another type of hotel chain - I love my Hyatt rewards points, but this hotel needs some improvements. First off, let me tell you what they did right.

The manager and I were unable to reach each other via phone as I tried to get my rate adjusted because it had plummeted by 25% since I had first placed the reservation, and not only was it adjusted but I was given complimentary breakfast coupons (for hot items -- cereals, bagels, and fruit along with OJ and coffee are free; eggs/bacon/french toast/etc are not) for each night that I stayed. The rooms, wow! Very nicely sized, except the bathroom... The bathrooms are UNBELIEVABLY SMALL. You have to stand to the side in order for you to be able to close the door -- I've never seen that small of a bathroom in ANY hotel or motel, for that matter.

Nice lights, the TV is decent, even though it's an HDTV yet a lot of the channels appeared in standard definition with black bars on the top and bottom, and gray bars on the left and right side. The beds, WOW! I was able to sleep like a baby (I normally do at home and not at hotels). Highly recommend the beds. Room was AMAZINGLY quiet! Really, really quiet! That's about where my compliments stop.

The staff, though friendly, was, at times, unhelpful. I felt like there was a lot of potential, but there are a few reasons that I will never stay at this hotel ever again:

1) Painfully slow elevators that beeped madly at you if more than five people get into an elevator at one time. On average, I probably waited about one minute each time for the elevator. Keep in mind there are only TWO for the entire seven floors, and once it gets to your floor, you have to wait another 20 seconds for the elevator to align properly then for the doors to slowly open. They take longer to close. I was almost embarrassed to bring my partner to this hotel, but the rooms made up for it. Terry is an awesome (assistant) manager. If you ever have a problem, talk to him -- he'll take care of you.

2) The rest of the staff (Terry not included) is a bit unfriendly (and I'm a really friendly person! Really!) and the maintenance team didn't really seem like a maintenance team but a bunch of guys that fixed stuff when it went wrong... which brings me to number...

3) My power went out. I tried to turn on a light in my room and poof! I called down to the front desk (this is where number 2 makes more sense) and said "My power in my room is out" and they asked "Are you sure?"... Yeah, I'm pretty sure, guys -- here in the dark, everything's dead. "Well, you're talking to me, so it's not all out! *slight laughter from front desk rep*"... "OK, well can you send someone up here?"

It took almost an hour to get my power back on, and no, I wasn't using an iron or a blow dryer as the "maintenance team" suggested. It was almost midnight and I was enjoying a movie when this mess happened.

4) What's up with the tiny bathrooms?... That's all I can say about that one.

5) The "river" view is definitely a joke. You stare at a minuscule stream of water... the colors a bit awkward, there are a few ducks, and there are only other hotels to look at on the other side. That's not a view. The extra cost is barely justified by a balcony, but if you're going between late April and late August, you'll barely use it because it's so grotesquely hot. We were outside all of three minutes during our entire three-night stay.

Overall, the room was spacious, and that pleased me. Once I stepped outside, though, it was just disappointing overall. Elevators are scratched up/beat up, too, and it made me feel a bit ghetto. I recommend this for anyone who isn't going to stay in San Antonio to enjoy everything it has to offer. I know that Hyatt Place caters to "business and weekend travelers" as I was informed by four different Hyatt telephone reps, but I don't recommend it for anyone but the business travelers. For business, wow... a fantastically sized room, but I recommend staying at another nearby hotel for a lower rate. Aloft is a newer chain and seemed to hold some promise -- I almost regret not going with that one, but like I said, I'll probably always stay with Hyatt -- just not a Hyatt Place in the future - only Regency or Grand Hyatts. It was a great effort, but just not worth it. Better luck for me next time.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank f0xb0x
Write a ReviewReviews (1,193)

Reviewed June 5, 2009

I was surprised by the check-in counter being so small and blended right into the food/drinks counter. The hotel room was large, and I loved the 42" TV and the sitting area. I had a king size bed, and it has 1 narrow and 1 narrow and deep drawers for clothes. My client got the double beds room, and the room is longer and has 3 wider drawers for clothes. My room had a nice view of the river, but it is not the Riverwalk where all the restaurants are located. This part of the river is more quiet and scenic, and it's great for walking/running/jogging. The hotel is 2 very small blocks from La Villita, which is located on the Riverwalk. The free breakfast consisted of cereal/oatmeal, sliced bread/bagels/muffins, apple juice/orange juice/milk/coffee/tea, and fresh fruits. I definitely would recommend this hotel, especially, for those who traveling with 2 or more people. It is really nice to have a sitting room with the sofa converts to a sleeper. The only thing that could be better is the TV channels. The channels were limited, and I had a difficult time finding something interesting to watch. Oh, and one important thing to note, most of the hotels charge at least $23 per day to park. This hotel offers FREE Parking! It's definitely worth walking the 2 small blocks to the Riverwalk.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 23, 2009

Friendly service, beautiful setting and a good breakfast (Eggs Benedict). Comfortable rooms with plenty of air conditioning. We had a beautiful room overlooking the Alamo.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 14, 2009

We traveled to San Antonio last year and stayed at the Drury Inn on the River Walk. For some reason they really hiked their prices so we choose the Hyatt Place. We have 2 young children and needed a larger room and the continental breakfast sounded perfect for 2 hungry kids in the morning.
The neighboring buildings looked a little run down, but I never felt unsafe or scared. Now, saying this hotel is on the river walk is not exactly what you would expect. Yes, you are in front a of a river and you can walk to to main part of the river walk, but it is far! Knowing how big a pain strollers are on the RW, we had to carry both our young kids and that was not fun! However, our room was big enough to accommodate all our luggage and pack and play and going down to breakfast instead of room service is so nice with demanding kids. Breakfast is really just cereals and toast, but that is fine with me. One other positive, parking is free!! When we stayed off of the main RW last year, although we got a good hotel rate, our parking was $25 a night. Something to take into consideration.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2009

To save money, we stayed at the Hyatt Place. Our conference was at the Hyatt Regency. It was an easy walk each day, and we actually found it nice to walk through La Villita each day. It isn't a neighborhood that should be walked in after dark, but it would have been an easy and inexpensive cab ride from the Riverwalk. The service was wonderful, friendliest staff.......................great breakfast. It was incredibly quiet even though lots of people staying in hotel. I would recommend staying facing the River, as it is a nice park like view and you would have a balcony. We stayed facing St. Mary's Street and it was also nice. Great pool! I would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2009

There is what I imagine to be part of the riverwalk behind the hotel, but it isn't where the action is! Having said that, it is no more than a 4-block walk to points of interest. No problem with walking during the day. Based on other reviews, we took a cab back after dark and it was less than $5.00, tip included. This hotel is close enough to not be inconvenient, but far enough for substantial savings! Additional bonus of free parking and parking is hard to come by in San Antonio Riverwalk area.

This was identical to the Hyatt Place we stayed in northwest San Antonio in every way. So again, I really, really loved this place! Lobby/lounge area very nice. Staff some of the nicest we have ever dealt with. Updated, modern, clean hotel. Nice breakfast buffet with option of additional items at al a carte fees. Also able to get sandwiches, salads, juices, snacks, etc., however those items were quite expensive; could buy same things elsewhere and store in room mini fridge. Some of the tables (seating for 6) in continental breakfast area leaves no choice but to eat at table with others and some may not be comfortable, but give it a try! Snob Factor: We are hotel "snobs" and this met my "standards!" Prices vary quite a bit from location to location for Hyatt Places. Also, we happened upon a german restaurant within walking distance that was obviously popular with the locals. Fantastic food and great prices. If I can remember name, will review in very near future!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2009

I just returned from a great visit to SA .After reading some of the reviews I was a little concerned about the location of the hotel,however it turned out to be perfect for us.The hotel is in the quiet part of the riverwalk only one short block north of the historic King William District which is amazingly beautiful.Gorgeous homes,beautiful yards,flowers,restaurants,scenery and a nice walk beside the river with numerous ducks,birds and other wildlife..If you prefer bigger crowds just walk three blocks north along the river and you will be in the major busier part of the riverwalk.
The hotel has a great management team.and superb staff.The management works from early morning to late at night to insure everything is running smoothly.The continental breakfest is good and they have a complete menu if you desire something additional.The rooms are suites with a 42" plasma HD TV.Very nice heated pool,free parking ,free WiFi,nice views.Also a very safe area.I found the hotel to be better than most 4 star hotels.The big difference is that 4 star hotels would have an additional charge for many of the amenities provided by Hyatt Place.If you enjoy great scenery,walking,and a nice hotel experience this is a great place to stay!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple