“Bed bug? You tell me”

Hyatt Place San Antonio/Riverwalk
Ranked #40 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Hotel was nice evening staff was a bit rude but the day shift staff was nice and friendly housekeepers were very nice. Downside this place has no microwave and isnt exactly on the Riverwalk it's a few blocks away on the far end very far end not close to the attraction. Well on my second night I had just come out of the shower all the lights we on and I noticed a red bug crawling on my duvet I quickly snapped a pic of it and my niece suggested we put it In a bag and take it to the front desk. We did that and immediately the rude evening shift said oh it doesn't look a bed bug. Well I googled bed bugs and it looks like one to me. I even counted its legs and all and compared it to the pic on google. Look the same. Well we were quickly moved to another suite and that room was okay I sprayed it down with Lysol I was so uncomfortable from that point I never had a good night sleep again so by now I'm looking for things on the bathroom wall I wiping everything with Clorox wipes I find nasty hair in the tub and at the end of my bed on the sheets. Of course I tore the bed down looking for bugs etc. in the bathroom wall I saw a few spots of what appeared to be blood I'm not sure if it was I did take pictures of all these things including the bug. Well the the next day I didn't hear from anyone so I called and requested the hotel manager GEORGE I believe his name was. He was very apologetic but he assured me a company was called to check out the room to find no evidence or activity of bugs. Well that was okay my only issue was he didn't really care all that much that I couldn't sleep and I was there for four days. Nice hotel I must admit evening staff a bit snotty But Ronnie is great very very friendly very helpful and there to please his guest. He really needs to be a manager if he isn't already. He referred us to some great restaurants that we enjoyed and also very child friendly I'm sorry I will not be staying there again. In addition they have really good breakfast as well. The lady that refills the breakfast trays were also very nice like I said early on the day shift staff is much nicer then evening with the exception of Ronnie. He was great! The only reason I rate this place as terrible one the bug and two I didn't rest do to the bug situation and the hairs and what appeared to be blood.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sandra Igboji
Suzie P, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place San Antonio/Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Guest

We are truly sorry that your visit to our hotel was not up to your expectations. We do pride ourselves at all times in the service and facilities that we provide for our guests as their comfort is our top priority. We listened to your complaint and indeed we took it seriously. As per protocol, there is an independent pest control company that is mandated by our Corporate office to look into these complaints and they were called in. They checked the room that you occupied and adjoining rooms but found no trace of any bugs or pests.

We hope that you will not let this incident deter you from visiting us again and look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel!

Thank you.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,211)

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I recently spent a few nights at the Hyatt Place San Antonio/Riverwalk and was happy with the room: it was clean and for the most part spacious. (I was in a two double-bed suite.) The bed was comfortable. There is a dresser and a moderately sized closet. The living room area adjoining the bedroom was large and fairly well appointed. There is a vanity in an open area between the closet and the bathroom; I don't know why towels hang just below the sink. It doesn't seem like a sanitary location. The bathroom is oddly small--just big enough for a toilet and a shower--but clean and I'm a neat freak.

The hotel provides shampoo and conditioner, a bar of hand soap, a massage bath soap bar, and a tube of toothpaste. No moisturizer, but toothpaste--interesting. Not complaining.

There is a very nice breakfast buffet available in the morning, including fresh, sweet fruit and plain yoghurt, as well as breads and hot items.

Hotel staff is welcoming and helpful.

The hotel is located on the Riverwalk, but at a distance from the restaurants and bars. Most people will enjoy the 15-minute walk (in summer it's admittedly beastly hot, even if margaritas do await you), but guests with mobility issues might find it too far from the action.

Room Tip: No advice except, perhaps, to be nice to the staff.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My mother and I went on a trip to San Antonio together. I booked my room months in advance and stayed at the Hyatt regency but my mother booked before we came and stayed here. Honestly she preferred it to my hotel. It's on the quiet part of the river walk, beds are great and best of all FREE parking! Only disappointment was there is no hot tub.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed here one night so that we could be close to the Riverwalk attractions – but far enough away so that we could feel at least somewhat secluded when we wanted to be. I think this hotel is a perfect blend of that and I would certainly consider staying here again. The staff was friendly and helpful and the room was what I have come to expect from a Hyatt Place. If you’re going to San Antonio and you’re on a budget, I’d highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed July 1-3, 2013. As others have said in their reviews, this hotel is located just outside the main downtown Riverwalk action.

The rooms are clean and large. The room we were in was divided into a bedroom area and a sitting area. The bath was clean and nice. Unfortunately, bed is right next to the air conditioner and it was a little noisy. We just turned it off and the room stayed comfortable through the night without it. Aside from that you couldn't ask for a nicer room in this price range.

Breakfast was free and good. Omelets and other egg dishes had a gourmet flair in their presentation and the coffee was Starbucks brand.

The staff was very attentive and helpful. During our trip a large church youth group was and many of the young people had not learned much about manners. Despite this the staff handled the large group with grace although the other guests would have had a better stay without them.

All the main Riverwalk attractions including the Alamo are within easy walking distance. The shortest distance to the center of the Riverwalk and the other attractions is via the street sidewalks and not the Riverwalk. Just look at one of the tourist maps and you will see that the shortest distance is above ground. So when you want to get somewhere use the streets and when you want to stroll use the Riverwalk.

This hotel is the only place on the Riverwalk I could find with free self parking. If that is important to you then look no further as this hotel has everything for significantly less than other hotels a couple of blocks closer the action - and noise. The hotel is just great value for the money and you give up nothing in creature comforts.

Room Tip: For the best TexMex check out Rosarios - an easy walk from the hotel and not on Riverwalk so the pri...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FromAnotherUniverse
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The grounds around this nice hotel has got to be the cleanest I've ever seen. I walked my dog around it for 2 days and saw no litter (none at all). This place is absolutely an very good hotel. It is also very convenient to DT, convention, RW, plus you get all the good restaurants

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Suzie P, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place San Antonio/Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Guest

thank you so much for taking the time off of your busy schedule to post this feedback. We value this contribution tremendously as we use this to continously to improve the services of staff and facilities.

We hope you visit us very soon again and please do stop by and say hello to us.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Staying here, you are a 4-5 block walk to the riverwalk. Not too bad, but with little ones that can be an exhausting hike! Also, the walls are thin...our room was next to the elevator and I heard it all day and night. I wasn't able to get a good nights sleep in the 4 nights we stayed.

• Stayed: July 2013