Candlewood Suites - San Antonio NW Medical Center
Ranked #226 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed September 7, 2010

I prepaid for my trip. After arriving, I wished I had not so I could switch hotels. When we pulled up to the hotel it was a little scary because the hotel does not appear to be in the best of neighborhoods. It is a very industrial area with abandoned buildings. I do not live in an upscale neighborhood myself, however, I did not expect to not feel comfortable walking out the my car in the parking lot at night. I had viewed the pictures online of the suites and it was very misleading because it does not specify which suite you're looking at. I walked into a much smaller suite than I thought I had booked and was disappointed right away.

When looking for a hotel for my trip I wanted one with an outdoor pool. This hotel has one. It is not the largest pool, but that is fine. I was, however, really frustrated by a few important things....1. The pool towels are so small they could be considered hand towels. 2. They have a couple tables with umbrellas by the pool which are nice. However, no pool lounging chairs.....Maybe it's just me, but I've NEVER been to a hotel that doesn't have these by their pool. They do have grills for you to grill out which is cool.

I booked us for 6 nights and this hotel only has room service come once a week. That seems a bit too long when the suites have kitchens and you can generate quite a bit of trash. (Not to mention their trash bags are pointless and rip so easily I ended up using bags from Walmart because they were stronger!) The website was also not specific about their "full kitchen". I guess I expected more than two plates, two cups, two forks, etc. The "full kitchen" also did not include an oven, so much for the "full kitchen" part.

I also accidentally prepaid for an extra night we did not need. I did not expect my money back, but something would've been nice. I left something behind at the hotel and it was a hassle to get it shipped---at my expense of course. $40 to ship my item is ridiculous!!!! I called the day we checked out and was told I had to give a credit card number to have it shipped, but they didn't know how much it would be. I waited three days with no return call. I did get the information I needed when I called back, but still $40 is steep when my item is not heavy and can be squeezed into a small box. I have not received the item yet, but I can't help but feeling a bit taken by this hotel.

Also, I signed up for the rewards program and when I signed in found out that I am only getting credit for 5 nights, even though I paid for the 6th night but did not use it. Once again, feeling taken.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank pr0ph0t0g

Reviewed July 15, 2010

I purchased my stay at this hotel through Hotwire.com and had no idea the hotel I would be staying in before booking. When I came here to find the reviews of the hotel, my heart dropped after I saw the last few reviews about vehicle break-ins. My husband and I had every intention of calling Hotwire the second we arrived and forcing them to change our hotel. When we arrived, however, we were pleasantly surprised. The outside looked great for a two-star hotel, and it is a HOTEL, with the doors to the rooms inside of the building, which is a huge bonus in a two-star. We didn't see any broken glass in the parking lot and it looked like they had recently installed a new fence, it was very high. There were several very new cars in the parking lot as well.

The woman who checked us in was very sweet and welcomed us to San Antonio. They have a warning right at the desk about vehicle break-ins. It's not just a problem at this hotel, but everywhere on the I-10 strip. Vehicle break-ins are a crime of opportunity, so we didn't leave anything in the car that was valuable, including our CD deck. We drove our older car and it is very easy to pull the deck out, unlike on our newer car in which you have to pull the entire dashboard off to get to it. This hotel offers a safe deposit box, which is where we left all of our valuables.

As for the hotel room, it was the nicest two-star room I've ever stayed in. We didn't spend much time there at all, but it was sufficient for our sleeping needs. It was quiet, we knew there were dogs staying next to us and we couldn't only hear them once and the sound was very faint. The kitchen would have been nice, but we weren't in the mood to cook on our trip! The bathroom was in great shape. It's an extended stay, so there isn't any maid service unless you stay longer than a week. That was fine with us, we just had to run down to the front desk to get new towels.

For a two-star hotel, it was absolutely the best I've stayed in. It's not the best hotel in San Antonio, but worth the cost if you can find a cheap rate. I would be cautious when traveling to San Antonio in general, we were just a few cars down from someone who had their car broken into at Six Flags, they left their phone on the dashboard. If you are cautious, you can prevent being a victim.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2010

Upon arrival, the clerk at the storage facility next door to the hotel warned us about the thefts from vehicles. Sure enough, my truck was broken into on the 2nd night. While filling out the police report, the another guest mentioned that his vehicle was broken into the previous week. Last night (3 days after my incident), another car was broken into. The hotel takes no responsibility for security. This is fine but I would not give them my business if they are unwilling to provide any measure of security. I promise your car will be broken into if you leave anything of value in it (including video screens or radios that do not have removable faceplates.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank mccormickwdm
Reviewed April 28, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at Candlewood suites for the most part but once I found out that many cars were being broken into then I started to worry. Our trip lasted about four nights and on the second night I started noticing broken glass in the parking lot. I had witnessed a person crying and caling the police because her truck had been recently been broken into with glass shattered. The lady claims that she locked the car and there were no personal items left. The police appeared to arrive at the scene quickly but we all know the deal, "fill out report...". The parking area looks great upon entry but there are several apartments surrounding the Candlewood complex with fencing (obviously not tall enough). The lady that had her car broken into claims she parked for only an hour and came back to her truck so that leads me to believe people are "watching / casing" the place. The hotel needs to take responsibility and install cameras / security guard.
There is no maid service available unless you stay for a 7 days. The bed was comfy and no traffic could be heard when windows were closed. The staff was friendly and took care of all request except doing more about car break-ins. The place needs some updating but does some nice amenities such as a washer dryer and a pantry shelf (food) for purchase. If you are interested in walking to your restaurant you are out of luck as there is nothing nearby. If you plan on "drinking alcohol at a bar / restaurant" and do not want to get a DUI ticket then this is not the place for you. Invest some money and stay downtown San Antonio. The hotel provided what I neded and that was a decent place to stay while attending my son's graduation from the Air Force. I just can't get past all the car break-ins at the hotel parking lot. The hotel staff / insurance company has to not only acknowledge the situation but also do something about it or else they will lose business.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2009

We were placed in the hotel for a short term assignment. At first glance it doesn’t appear that bad. However; the parking situation creates a predators play ground. My car was broken into on the 3rd night. The damage total is over $800. My car was not the only one. Other guests complain but the hotel refuses to provide security or cameras on the parking lot. The hotel will not accept any responsible and their insurance carrier (Zurich Risk Management) backs them! The thieves seem to know this and keep returning. We are leaving ASAP!!!

Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank bambam1111
CWSSAGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2010

We take our guests' safety and security very seriously, and are constantly striving to operate the safest hotel possible. The San Antonio Police Department encourages visitors to our city not to leave valuables in plain sight while parked in any public place in San Antonio. We have found that this practice is the best deterrent for thieves.
Please know that we are passionate about giving our guests’ the best experience and in that light, we truly appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback.

Reviewed August 27, 2009

First and foremost, the hotel's location is NOT scary or sketchy. It is conveniently located close to many restaurants and just off of I-10W. If you need your room serviced daily this is not the hotel brand you should choose as it is designed for extended stays. The hotel itself is nice and clean, the beds and linens are comfortable. The pillows are very soft and they didn't have any other kinds available when I asked. The Staff at the Front Desk was fine, not really friendly but answered questions if asked.

The only real complaint I had was the room had too many lighted items close to the bed which didn't allow for the room to get dark enough for sleep, it kind of had a green glow. There is a smoke detector with green light above the bed, green lighted thermostat to the left of the bed, lights from VCR/DVD, Microwave, and the clock radio.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Mariposa1020
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Location is hard to find (on I45 service road) and has only one entrance. Only one person working front desk and doing laundry at midnight. Was checked into room that was already occupied. Next room had kitchen built-in table pulled from the wall anchors, sofa bed did not have sheets or pillow and rooms need updating.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple