“Friendly Awesome Staff; Poor Hotel”

Candlewood Suites - San Antonio NW Medical Center
Ranked #238 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Ft. Worth, Texas
“Friendly Awesome Staff; Poor Hotel”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Let me firstly say that the staff at this hotel were simply amazing, very friendly and attentive to their guests (especially Matthew), they went out of their way to make all the guests feel very welcome.

However, unfortunately I can't say anything nice about the hotel itself, the entrance to the hotel property is not well advertised, you're more likely to see the U-Haul facility sign first before seeing the entrance to the hotel property, once inside the property grounds, there are no signs to show you where the main lobby is, you'll probably drive around the property before you figure out just where you need to check-in.

The carpets in the hallway as well as in the rooms are worn out and dirty, the exit stairways are also the same, with the addition of lot's of dead bugs like crickets lying around. the rooms itself were smaller than previous Candlewood's I have stayed at, the bedding, linen and towels were clean, the room itself was clean but I did find some uncleaned areas around the room.

The pool area was great, it was a large pool with 5ft deep end so that made the stay a little more pleasant, if it wasn't for the friendly staff, I would have rated this hotel even worse than I did. Unfortunately I won't be staying here again if I can help it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank jbsjp
Angie A, Manager at Candlewood Suites - San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are very happy that you were pleased with the customer service you received during your stay. We apologize that the condition of the hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve. Thank you, again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 29, 2014

The room is super small for a suite. We stayed at candlewood other locations with 2 queen beds in the room. but this one only has 1 queen. they don't have rollaway bed or a couch. My 7 year old had to sleep on the floor.

Everything is old in the room. The bed made a lot of noise and pillows were not comfortable. The worst was the AC unit. It made very LOUD noise, none of us could sleep at all. it was like there was a freight train all night long. if a 7 year could not sleep after a long day in Seaworld, what does it tell you?

we orginally booked for 2 night. we had to cancel the 2nd night. that's how bad it was.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Angie A, Manager at Candlewood Suites - San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.
Brunswick, Georgia
Reviewed April 14, 2014

It is a nice Candlewood Suites. The usual extended stay hotel. Don't look for many amenities. Very friendly and helpful staff. You get what you pay for; good value for the dollar. A little hard to find. Set back off off a frontage road. But worth looking for

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Angie A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
We thank you so much for your kind words about our property. We strive to provide great service and comfort for our guest and appreciate when our guest are happy with their stays. Thank you again for you input.
Pelham, New York
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Everything was fine at this Candlewood. The staff was helpful and friendly, they gave us a map and tips for sightseeing. Our room was clean, but only had one chair which was a bit strange since it usually has two chairs in the kitchen/office area as well as a lounge chair. We were able to borrow a chair from the laundry/coffee area. It is nice that they have free laundry facilities. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Angie A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you for the nice review! Guest satisfaction is our top priority and I am glad to see that we were able to meet your expectations. We hope to see you again, soon!
Los Angeles
Reviewed January 24, 2014

First, I want to be clear that the staff here are all OUTSTANDING! They could not have been more helpful and accommodating. I also want to acknowledge that they have little to no control over the building being in dire need of a renovation, nor can they do much about the crime in the area.
That said, had I read other reviews I would not have stayed here. Upon arrival, which in itself can be a task - the building is not easy to find at night - I was shocked at the condition of the property. It's not what I have come to expect from a Candlewood Suites. There is a sign at the front desk posted by the SAPD warning not to leave anything of value in your vehicle due to the high crime rate in the area. Again, not something the staff there can control, but they were very kind to remind me to remove all valuables just in case. There is broken glass in the parking lot that appears to be the remains of car windows. This does not give a guest a very good feeling about staying there. I did see the evening/night manager out walking the parking lot checking on things. Kuddos to him for doing what he could to try to ensure the safety of the guests. I don't understand why IHG does not hire full time security for this location.
The floors in the hallways creek and are dirty, the door to my room was difficult to close, and the entire building is in need of a badly needed renovation. My room was clean, but the carpet was old and stained as was the bedspread. It seems they are doing all they can with what they have to work with. The room was clean and everything in it worked as it should. It was also very quiet. But knowing what I do now, I would not stay at this location again - not unless I knew it had been updated and had full time security.
I would love to see someone from corporate stay there for a few days and park their personal vehicle in the parking lot. Then maybe they would be willing to invest in some updates and security. I felt bad for the staff as I am sure they must get lots of complaints. Even so, they were all very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere for a safer location.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank KipF
Angie A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am very happy that you were pleased with the customer service you recieved during your stay. Although, I am also very sorry that our hotel did not meet your standards, due to it's older condition. Our guest are very important to us and we appreciate your feedback.
Glen Allen, Virginia
Reviewed December 23, 2013

My family and I stayed here on our road trip to Florida and were surprised when we pulled up and found a cop car in the parking lot. I asked the cop in the hotel lobby if crime was a problem in the area and he said cars are broken into all of the time in the area. He advised me to empty out everything from our car, which was a pain because we were on a three day road trip. The hotel does have a sign in the lobby warning about the auto burglary problem, but it appears they are not taking steps (e.g., hiring parking lot security, walking the parking lot, providing adequate lighting) to help prevent auto burglary like other Candlewoods we have stayed at that do not even have crime problems. This may be the reason why one guest told us while we were in the hallway that those who have been staying at this hotel for a month or so say that cars are broken into several times a week at this hotel. The experience did not get any better in the room. Everything was extremely dated, especially the recliner chair that had material peeling away from the big chair or already gone. We also noticed a hole in the floor (we were on the second floor) underneath the carpet. The only positive is the lady at the front desk was nice and upgraded us for free (if you call it an upgrade) when a room was not available on the first floor. This is overall the worst experience I have had with the Candlewood brand (I have stayed at locations in several different states) and does not do this usually great brand justice. I highly advise to stay at the Candlewood near SeaWorld (this is where we stayed at on our trip back from Florida). It represents the Candlewood brand well.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank kandkwed
Angie A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with the condition of our facilities. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve. Once again many thanks for your feedback and we would welcome the opportunity to serve you again.
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed December 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed here because it was close to the medical center. In the 15 days we were here for my recuperation, I heard not one unpleasant noise. We were treated with respect and caring. You can't hear the interstate traffic noise even though its right on the frontage road. The bed was immensely comfortable and roomy. Plenty of space in the suite to move around and nice comfortable chairs to sit in. It's convenient to I10, so it's easy to get to major attractions and downtown and the airport. The bathrooms are super big and roomy with lots of storage, and no lack of hot water at any time. The kitchen was sufficient but has no oven. A microwave, and stovetop were good for us, since we researched beforehand and knew not to bring anything that needed to be baked. If you want a quiet, clean, comfortable, spacious room for your travels, I recommend this Candlewood Suites property.

Room Tip: The fourth floor allows smoking, I'd stay on the third if you don't smoke.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Angie A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
We thank you so much for your kind words about our property. We strive to provide great service and comfort for our guest and appreciate when our guest are completely happy with their stays. Thank you again for you input.