“Can't complain for the price”

Extended Stay America - San Antonio - Airport
Ranked #218 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed March 8, 2008

The rooms are as expected at a budget extended stay motel, with the basic amenities. The mattress was rather hard, but no real complaints: most importantly, the room was clean.

The staff is perhaps a bit brusque but adequate. I assume some people who can't get apartments live at these types of hotels, and that's why their policies (xeroxing your drivers license, etc) seem to treat customers as vaguely criminal. I was a bit concerned because I arrived rather late, but even in the middle of the night when no one is sitting at the front desk, there's always someone on-call.

That said, I only was there one night, but I don't think this would be a great place to call home for an extended period of time. The location is right off the highway a couple miles from the airport, but it's amongst pretty bland sprawl. The room has all the kitchen gear you need, but it wouldn't be my first choice long-term.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Extended Stay America - San Antonio - Airport

Reviewed December 1, 2007

We booked a room in Feb. 2007 for a stay in San Antonio. The 2* hotel I booked in the Medical Center zone was overbooked, so my party (4 rooms) was transferred to another hotel -- which turned out to be the Homestead Suites in the Airport zone (which also happened to be closer and more convenient to where we needed to be the next morning, so we didn't complain -- at first).

I can't emphasize the horrible quality of this hotel and the incredibly horrible experience we went through staying there. I personally went through five rooms before I finally got one that was ready for occupancy. The first had not been cleaned, as I could tell by looking through the window at the six-pack of beer on the floor. The second had a broken down bed. The third had no knob on the air conditioner control, making it impossible to tell how to adjust the temperature, etc. The fourth was already occupied (by someone else in my party, incredibly), and by that time the attendant told me he would go check the room first himself. He came back to tell me I could stay in that room "if I had to" but he was going to look for a room in which the "remodeling" had been completed. The door lock was broken in the fifth and final room, so that I had to prop the door open when I left the room since the key would not work. The attendant (a young "punky" looking kid with lots of piercings all over his face) said, "As long as you are leaving in the morning, you shouldn't have to come and go much."

After getting home, I emailed by complaint to Priceline. My primary reason for my complaint was that the new hotel was not within the same zone as that in which I had won my bid -- which violates Priceline's policy -- but I also mentioned the horrible experience that all four in my party had with the various definciencies in their rooms.

Within 24 hours, Priceline had agreed to refund all four rooms. I was very pleased with the timeliness of the response as well as the result.

Also, within a couple of month, Homestead Suites was being reported on BFT as a 1* instead of a 2* -- thank goodness. See here: [--]

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelBug4755
Reviewed November 26, 2007

We used Hotwire to find us an inexpensive place to stay near the Airport for a 0630 flight out the next morning. The close proximity to the hotel is the only advantage. I would not stay here again and how anyone could consider staying for an "extended" time is beyond me. The hotel is a 1 star at best. The room was clean but not exceptional. The refrig. leaked water on the floor. We basically flopped for the night, slept for a few hours and took off. We asked for and supposidly the room was a non-smoking room but you could tell it had been smoked in and they attempted to cover up the smell with Lysol. The lady in charge of the hotel was nice enough at check-in. Other than that I'd recommend staying elsewhere for the price.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TRAVLrR12
Reviewed August 6, 2007

This has been by far the worst experience I have ever had at an extended stay hotel, let alone any hotel. From asking the front desk 4 times in a row to replace the missing light bulbs and only to be brought excess dishes and silverware, to the smell, to the crusty white "freshly changed" sheets, to my electronic credit card keys not working 4 different times in 2.5 weeks and leaving me stranded outside of my room with no service (11pm) to help me get in where all my valuable reside, to the excessive mold in the shower, to the killing of 10 crickets/day, to being checked out 2 weeks early and giving my room (while I was at work with all of my personal valuables) to strangers,...etc I am completely outraged. I left early and found a fully furnished apt for $300/month cheaper. Don't let the fair prices trick you into staying in this sleeze bag of a hotel.

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank SSSICK
Reviewed March 19, 2007

I was visiting San Antonio on a two week business trip. This particular hotel (even though it is more of a motel - doors are outside, maid service once a week......) checked me in and gave me a key to a room and told me it was right outside the front door. I went to the room only to be surprised by another tenant staying in the room already. I then proceeded to the counter to get another room. After receiving the key to that room, and moving to the room, I was disgusted to find a variety of things any other MOTEL would be embarrassed to have. There was trash on the floor, on the nightstand,
on the desk. There were dirty dished in the sink. The bathroom faucets did not stop running. This was an absolute mess and I would never reccommend anyone ever stay at this place. BEWARE, THEY WOULD NOT ISSUE A FULL REFUND, even though I never even spent one hour in the room. I immediately drove around for 3 hours to find another hotel room. It was the week of the NCAA tournament so not much was available.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank dcs30
Reviewed March 12, 2007

it was definetly cheap to stay but thats all that was good about it. The good part was the room was cozy with a kitchen. The bad was that it had a funny smell for a non smoking room. The toilet leaked water all night long. The tub was definelty not clean. The worst part was that they sheets werent changed and had body hair all over them. Wont stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank atifmsiddiqui
Reviewed September 4, 2006

This hotel is probably closer to a 1-star than the 2-star that Hotwire assigned. The room was a little run down and the housekeeping wasn't all that great. However, if you're not planning to spend a lot of time in the hotel and you can get a room for around $50 (which we did) it's an ok place to stay - it's close to the airport and in a fairly quiet area.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple