“Dingy with bugs”

Ranked #243 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Austin, Texas
“Dingy with bugs”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We just needed a place for a quick overnight stay near the airport before leaving on an early flight and thought this would fit the bill. I've had good luck with other Homestead locations, but this one was not up to par. We had a non-smoking room that still smelled of smoke, and I literally found 3 insects crawling around different places within the first 5 minutes of check-in. While I would normally ask for a room change, it was very late, so we decided to just settle in. Mistake number 2 on our part, as upon getting ready for bed, a roach crawled out from the sheets when we pulled back the comforter. Everything else looked a little dated, but clean for the most part. We did also speak to Homestead about our experience, and to their credit, we were provided a voucher for a free stay in the future at any property. I appreciate their customer service but would still go someplace else if I needed a place near the San Antonio airport.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mttx0408

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
san antonio texas
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Ok, first off, you have to realize you get what you pay for. I booked this hotel because I needed a cheap place to stay. Yes, it was very cheap, but it was very unsatisfactory. I realize I cannot expect luxury, when I'm paying very little, but you have to realize what this place is like - to see if you can put up with the inadequacies. First, I booked a non-smoking room, but when I checked in, they did not have any non-smoking rooms - so I had to get a smoking room. Yes, I realize it is a smoking room, and it would smell of smoke, but the stench was extremely overwhelming. I had to go back to the front desk and ask for deodorizer. I sprayed so much deodorizer in the air, in the carpet, in the furniture, but I could not get rid of the overwhelming stench. I opened the door, I turned on the vent, I burned candles to mask the odor to no avail. There were muddy footprints in the kitchen and bathroom floors, the telephone was grimey, and there were dust caked into all the crevices of the phone. The chair was caked with dust and dirt. The lampshades were stained. Lamp was broken. Sheets reaked of bleach. Luckily, I complained to the staff, and much later in the night, they were able to switch me over to another room. The other room was their "showroom" so of course they put the best of what they had in that room. So, needless to say, everything was much better - but don't be expecting to get the "showroom" if you book a room here...you'll most likely get the experience I got with the first room. The showroom was obviously much better, but still, at most, just met UP to expectations of a hotel room, does not exceed expectations. Overall, with caution, book this hotel if you are looking for something cheap, and if you can put up with all its inadequacies. Buyer beware!

Room Tip: Don't get a smoking room!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2011

I travel in my career and stay in motels ten months a year. The staff here is very rude and they will double run your credit card. I recommend paying cash and bring some spray bleach disinfectant. The house keeping lacks tremendously and there are insects. I stay here because of the value, and wouldn't recommend it for families traveling.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank Hili9er1969
College Station, Texas
Reviewed October 9, 2010

We have totally two rooms. First we forgot to ask for non-smoking rooms because we arrived in the midnight. Then when we found that the room is too smelly to sleep as we stepped in, we asked for an exchange. The guy told us to wait for half an hour and said they did not have any out of about 158 rooms. The refrigerator was so noisy that we had to unplug it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wjcipher
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed July 12, 2010

We were with 4 families in town for a convention...Upon checking into our room I could see the floor had not been vacumned. The bathroom was horrible!!! Mold in the shower, we could night get another room til the next day, So I went and bought bathroom cleaner & cleaned our own bathroom. We were afraid to sleep in the sheets because they probably were not clean. All four families had trouble with there rooms not being cleaned...one family turned down a room because it was so filthy and when another family came they tried to give them the same room, without even touching it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank kscatsmeowgirl
Austin
Reviewed June 30, 2010

The room that we got was worse than we could have imagined. The hotel staff already declared there was no other room available when we checked in. The hotel looks nice from the exterior but the room was too bad. The rooms had heavily stained toilets so as to puke at the look of it.
The coffee maker would make 3 cups of coffee for 2 hours or more. The utensils were not washed well enough and the pans would have residue from previous cooking. Housekeeping was so bad that they had not even removed old coffee pods or soaps of previous residents. The rooms would sometimes have smoke from outside because there is no proper designated smoking areas and everyone was smoking right in front of our room. The room was too cramped for the amount of furniture. Soap quality was bad. The AC thermostat had the Service needed sign on making us wonder if it really worked.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank GhumnaPhirna
tx
Reviewed October 8, 2009

This was a great hotel. The rooms were spacious and it was a nice location. The staff was helpful and gave recommendations and directions for things to do on the riverwalk. They have complimentary happy hour and appetizers in the evening and complimentary breakfast during the week. We never made it up for breakfast but the happy hour was nice. My only complaint is the fee for parking but apparently most of the hotels charge for parking.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends