“Food isn't bad, but not worth the price”
Review of Ounce Prime Steakhouse - CLOSED

Ounce Prime Steakhouse
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Far North Central
Cross street: Blanco & 1604
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Visited Ounce for the first time last night. Overall the experience was good, but for the cost I would have expected more.

We started with appetizers and soup. We split the Lobster cocktail and a bowl of lobster bisque. The lobster cocktail was excellent - and they didn't skimp on the amount of lobster. It was excellent and came with a mix of cocktail and horse radish. The lobster bisque was good but I will say I was disappointed that there literally was 2 pieces of lobster in the bowl of bisque.

For our main meal, we of course had the steaks. At the table we had a ribeye and a 12 oz. filet. We also shared sides of the macaroni and cheese and a baked potato. The steaks were cooked perfectly, I will say I was somewhat disappointed in the quality/taste of the meat. At $45 on average I would have expected the meat to melt in my mouth and it didn't. The sides we good, but I must call out that the macaroni and cheese was some of the best I've had. And I'm a mac and cheese aficionado.

We were full so no dessert.....

Our waiter Rico was excellent - took great care of us and made good suggestions.

A few things I think that are important to note:

first this is a nice restaurant and they stage their service accordingly - we were not rushed at any stage of our meal - however some guest may find the time between courses a bit long. For us this was nice - we were able to take our time enjoying our meal and didn't have one plate taken simply to have the next immediately appear.

Second - I don't know if this was an anomaly but there were small gnats all around our table. we couldn't figure out where they were coming from but swatted quite a few. This is something I would not expect from a nice restaurant - but given this was my only visit I don't know if it is a usual occurrence or a one off.

This was a good meal, but I will say that with a bill including a bottle of wine and a tip at right around $300 for 2 people, this wasn't worth it.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Took my daughter and father to Ounce on fathers day. The host waived us to the bar before I was halfway through announcing myself and my reservation. This was during the basketball blayoffs, and the place was very slow. Nevertheless, we proceeded to wait for 20 minutes past our reservation. When he did come to get us, he was disinterested and unapologetic.

We were seated, and after another 10 minutes, a waiter passed by and asked if we were being taken care of. I said no, so he took our drink order and then helped us the rest of the night. Things got better at that point, but it was hard to shake the initial treatment.

I had the sea bass, and it was fantastic. Literally the best fish I've ever had. My daughter's and father's steaks were good (felet and ribeye). My daughter did mention that the potato was small and plain compared to the other steak houses we've visited.

Overall, I give the food a 4, and mine in particular a 5, the waiters service a 4, and the host's attitude a 1. for 3 people it was about $250, no alcohol. For that kind of money, I expect great service. We didn't get it.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

The drinks and the bar were nice, but the food fell short of expectations. The tenderloin sliders were pretty good but the seabass was a disappointment. Guess you should stick to meat at a steakhouse!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

This was our first visit to Ounce and it was pure pleasure to cut into one of the best steaks I have eaten away from home. The wait staff was available every minute, the wine was excellent and we can't wait to have an excuse to go back again. Ruth's Chris is not even in the same ballpark with Ounce. While we have only visited Ounce once and Ruth's Chris a number of times, Ounce was the best. My only complaint, and yes I had one, was that we were seated at the first table near the entrance. That was quite distracting. All they need to do to make it perfect is place a screen between the first table and the entrance. Otherwise FIVE STARS! Of course, a restaurant such as this is going to come at a price...but, it is worth it.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Nice place, clean tablecloths and nice servers. Very Expensive, and overrated food. I's rather have a nice steak without all the foofoo junk.