Wyndham Riverside Suites
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Omni La Mansion del Rio(San Antonio)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
Mokara Hotel and Spa(San Antonio)
Riverwalk Vista(San Antonio)
  • Restaurant
All reviewshistoric buildingcollege streetwashing machinewasher dryer combothe river walkcity lotfresh cookiesjetted tubfull kitchenliterally stepssmall kitchenchristmas lightscan't beat the locationpull out couchlaundry facilitiesawesome locationironing board
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 19, 2009

The rooms were very large. Had a seperate dressing room & large walk -in closet. Beds were so comfortable. The lobby is beauiful & the staff very nice. Would highly recommend this
hotel!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank milkyway1111
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Ok, first let me say I had forgotten why I dislike downtown hotels. This one is accessed thru kind of a little alley, with no parking other than a 15 minute loading zone. That's if you can find space between all the garbage trucks. So... tight, smelly (refer to aforementioned garbage trucks), dark at night.

The closest parking is a block away. It's a multi-level city parking garage. Cost is $15 per day if pre-arranged through Wingate, or $7 for 2 hours with no in/out privledges. No security. Creepy. I'm here by myself, and had to leave early Saturday morning to drive to Dallas... picture homeless people on the street, walking into an unsecure parking garage.

Next problem - the clothes dryer. I've stayed in several different timeshares, and they all have washers and dryers. So I didn't bring a lot of clothes, thinking that I wouldn't have a problem rewashing what I did bring. Now the problem... I started a small load at 8:00 am. About 11:30 I went to see why the washing wasn't finished. It was a "programming error" on my part. The machine is a combination washer/dryer, so I finished the washing and set up the dry cycle to "automatic." 3 hours later I again checked to see what the problem was. Clothes are still wet. I called housekeeping, and was told that it really isn't a dryer, but rather a dehumidifier, and that the clothes will actually never dry. It seems that I should just take them out at some point and hang them up to finish drying. So, I wore WET CLOTHES out to an appointment since I didn't know this rule ahead of time!

No ice machine in the building, and I'm not thrilled about schlepping a sack of ice a block down the street from the parking garage.

Only one elevator in the entire building. Since it's off season, it hasn't been too big a problem, but I bet it's a long wait in the summer!

Not enough counter space to cook. About 6 feet long, and that includes stovetop and sink space. There's actually about 1 foot of prep space. The dining table is what I would call an "ice cream" table. No way would 4 plates fit on that table.

No makeup area in bathroom (about 4 inches on either side of the sink).

Not a full length mirror in the whole place.

Kitchen/living room is very small... maybe 10x12.

I'm short (5'2"), so faced some special challenges: Shower head is so high that I can't reach it to move it or adjust the spray. Dishes in the tiny kitchen are in a cabinet that I can't reach to open!

The good news: very convenient to the river walk and several good resturants. The bed is very comfortable, with plenty of pillows. And the wireless internet connection has been fine, with no "down" times.

Bottom line: I won't be back.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank ssjw
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Our 1st 5 days were great. Fantastic location. Great, helpful, friendly staff. Nice, helpful housekeeping staff. Then we came across MR who provided a dark cloud over our stay. Our kids, 17 and 18 in a couple of months, had been using the resort lobby internet without any incident in the evenings. Then MR entered the picture and said that under-18 year olds needed to have a parent watching over them while they used the resort internet. When I asked if this was a written policy, she said it wasn't but that it still applied. When you're on the road and paying for rooms that go for nearly $300 a night, one would think that nearly adult kids might be able to check their emails without having a parent standing over their shoulders.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Alainawi
Reviewed July 23, 2008

We attended a conference in San Antonio and decided that using our timeshare was the best way to save money and be close to the action.

We arrived by air and took a taxi to the hotel. We were very early and the room was not ready. Our bags were tagged and we returned after 2pm to find our bags already delivered to our room.

Noise has been a consideration in previous reviews but we had no noise problems. We occupied a two bedroom unit and the "king room" actually had no windows, not really a problem due to the fact that there was no chance of noise being a problem.

The rooms are not appointed in a luxury manner, if that is what you are looking for! The building is on the historic registry and much of the interior is preserved, therefore, the floors are polished cement and the original concrete beams for the building are visible. All explained on a plaque in the elevator and the inroom information. When you take into consideration the historic nature of the building this only adds to the charm.

The wi-fi was a bit limited in the room, but available, and free. Evidently wi-fi had been in the rooms had been added just days before.

Do not expect any amenities, because there aren't any. I happened into the lobby one morning for the free Starbucks coffee and found the hotel manager speaking to new employees. The quote her, "this is a hotel with no amenties, you, the staff are the amenities, so when people request something, they need to be made happy."

We never felt deprived of anything. One strange thing--the key I carried kept having to be reprogrammed. I must be magnetic because my husband never had a problem.

The washer/dryer combo is unusual. You must do small loads or the clothes come out in a mangled state, clean, but mangled. At least there is an iron available.

The location is ideal to access the RiverWalk and in the evening we could look out the windows and see the horse-drawn, lighted carriages taking riders. The Alamo is less than a 10 minute walk from the hotel and you'll never want for a restaurant with the multitude of restaurants steps away on the Riverwalk.

The one thing we missed was having a place to really buy staples to use in the kitchen since this is a timeshare with kitchen facilites. We didn't have a car until the last day, didn't need it, so shopping was limited.

Go to Riverside Suites and enjoy!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank sealover13
Reviewed May 15, 2008

We loved this place! It is cozy with a great location right on the Riverwalk. We flew to San Antonio, took a taxi to Riverside Suites, and never needed a car the whole week. The VIA trolley system in San Antonio is so user friendly and inexpensive, plus there is so much to do on the Riverwalk, a car is really optional.

Our suite was perfect for two people... two closets, two armoire type entertainment centers with drawers, king bed, combo-type washer/dryer (we loved this because you throw in a small load each morning and when you get in for the evening it is all washed AND dried!). There was even stereo throughout the whole unit with volume control in every room. Whirlpool tub. Our unit looked out on the Riverwalk and the patio.

The location is perfect because it is up in the loop of the Riverwalk. Easy to get everywhere! This is a renovated landmark building, so the suites are not the big ones we kind of get used to in timeshare, but the limited space in our unit is well designed. Note, however, that it would have been too crowded for four people. The units are all unique. If you go to the Wyndham website you can see the layout. There are some units that are really great and some that are not so great. So keep that in mind.

Comments about the odor on College Street are correct. Landry's is downstairs and some of the seafood odors vent on College Street. But you pass the vents in about three seconds. Don't let it cause you to miss out on this greatly located, very charming place!

We bought this fixed week a few years ago strictly for trade and never used it until this year. Now we plan to return to Riverside Suites every year. No more trading this one away!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank tater1992new