“Not great, but ok”

Motel 6 San Antonio Downtown - Market Square
Ranked #275 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were in San Antonio for the Rock-n-Roll Marathon in November and found this Motel 6 pretty convenient to get to the downtown area fairly quickly. Unlike other reviewers, we didn't walk to and from downtown, just drove. The McDonald's is literally next door and that was nice. I didn't care for the room decor as it's too austere for my tastes, but it was clean. The light in the bathroom didn't work and the front desk offered to change the bulb out but we could still see from the vanity area lights, so I declined. I thought it was nice that the front desk called us a few minutes after we got in the room to see if everything was alright.

The only "scary" thing was there was a knock on the door in the middle of the night and I woke up thinking it was my friend (staying in another room at the same motel) letting us know it was time to get up and get ready for the marathon. When I looked at the clock and saw it was the middle of the night, I refused to go to the door and they never knocked again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed April 8, 2012

I paid $50 for the room, but I was very, very happy to be in a room that was centrally located downtown and in a CLEAN room! The new decor has easy to clean laminate, faux hardwood, flooring as opposed to gritty carpets with stains. Everything was inches above the floor so I could easily verify there were no roaches, insects, etc. After staying in San Marcos the day before in an Executive Inn with cockroaches and hair in the tub, I reveled in the cleanliness of the room. It was quiet as well so I didn't have any noisy neighbors disturbing my sleep. The staff was GREAT!!! The young man and middle-aged woman behind the desk gave me helpful tips and recommendations about the downtown area as well as money saving coupons. I live in Irving (Las Colinas) and will be job hunting in the area and I will be staying here again on my next trip!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Haaa. When I got to this motel, they found my reservation but did not have any room available. They told me they could not honor the reservation and I was on my own. They gave me the phone number of another Motel 6 ten miles away.

After calling the central reservation phone number, they finally found a room. The room was moldy ans stinky. I hate the colors and plastic flooring they now put in the "refurbished" rooms of this motel chain.

The hotel is not too far from the Riverwalk. You can walk there but this hotel is in a sketchy area of the city.

I would personally avoid at all costs.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank crew347
Reviewed November 6, 2011

It was a last minute decision to stay in San Antonio and the Motel 6 Market Sqaure was the right place.

The room was modest with the "new" Motel 6 decor but it was very relaxing and refreshing after shopping in San Marcos and a long days drive. You park just outside your room. The area is not a tourist area like the Riverwalk but not too bad. Market Square with Mi Tierra is a short walk away. A good convenience store is a block the other way.

And at $42, it hit the spot for quick stop!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank 2DogsCalgary
Reviewed September 24, 2011

very great price for a downtown hotel. great price. great staff. very simple rooms. basic but all u need. have stayed here many times. will stay again. no worries on safety at all for me. is right next door to mcdonalds. very convenient for breakfast that is cheap. a short walk under the hwy bridge, and u are at the market and many places to eat. also u are right at the place to board the city bus. not far at all from bus to motel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank NDAY72
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We noticed the uncleanliness as soon as we checked in. There were stains on the bed, hair in the bed and shower and a peculiar red stain on the sheets. When my group and I arrived we were honestly so tired from the drive that we agreed to just do one night. Big mistake. First, around 2:00 am a prostitute stood outside of our room and talked really loud and sang about "needin to make dat money". Cool. Next, around 5 am two homeless men knocked on our door and tried to turn the handle of our door- did I mention the deadbolt didn't work and we had a chair jammed under the door knob for "better" safety. Oh yeah, and the men set the car alarm off on our vehicle. I honestly couldn't make this stuff up. This place is trash and I feel very unresponsible to think that I tried to stay one night here.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed December 12, 2010

It was terrible. First we missed our exit because you have to be on the upper ramp which we didn't know because we are from out of town. There was no easy access to 35N either. Then when we finally found the hotel, there were people who probably didn't have a room there roaming around in the parking lot. We walked in and at first glance it looked alright, but then things quickly went downhill. There was no dresser so there was no where to set anything down. I couldn't imagine a family trying to stay here for more than 1 night. The walls were thin, the beds were hard, there's no carpet. I was afraid to take off my socks for fear of other peoples feet funk. I doubt they are washing the floors after every check out. The water in the sink didn't get warm so I had to use the tub to wash my face. Had to use toilet paper to blow my nose because there wasn't any kleenex. I reserved the room for $58 but was charged $68. I paid more and got less. Green is good, but not in this case. Never again and if other Motel 6's are tagged as "green" I won't be staying there either. I should have read some of the trip advisor comments before I booked. Motel6 don't leave the lights on for me anymore, cuz I won't be coming back to this one.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends