“Great location and comfortable room”

Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport South
Ranked #55 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Great location since close to airport and highway. Very clean and modern. Big rooms with suite style as one side of the room had a queen size bed and the other was the pull out sleeper. Big bathroom and even an area with a small microwave and coffee maker. Plenty of space. The complimentary morning breakfast had ample food selection. Staff was friendly and greeted us every time we came in or left. Will stay here again.

Stayed: December 2013
Chevin G, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport South, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thank you for providing us with such great feedback! We are proud to say that all our rooms come standard with seperate living areas, microwaves, and fridges. We strive to provide all our guests with a nice variety of complimentary breakfast items and offer a rotating menu. On behalf of all our staff, thanks for staying with us and we look forward to your next stay!

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport South

Reviewed December 28, 2013

The woman who checked me in at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. The man who was supposed to bring up our baby bed acted like he didn't want to do it, though. It was kind of strange. The room was a very good size, plenty of room for our 4 kids and all of our stuff. We had the room with 2 beds in one part and a partition with a desk and sofabed on the other side. I was able to put all of our clothes away in the dresser and closet. The mini refrigerator and shelving around it was great, we were able to fit all of our snacks. There was also a microwave. The room was pretty clean, there were a few hairs in the bathroom.The view from our window was partially of the highway bridge and pool. We could see planes taking off from our window, it was really cool. The room must have been pretty well insulated because you could barely hear it. The breakfast wasn't that great to me, but I'm kind of picky when it comes to my eggs. The rest of my family liked it. They had hot items like eggs and waffles, also cereal and the muffins were very good. The staff was very nice and helpful. The one thing I didn't like was the TV in the living area didn't work throughout our entire stay even though we kept asking for someone to come up and fix it. The hotel itself was in a great location, right off the highway and down the street from an urgent care clinic. Overall, I was happy and would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KLGomez
Amado M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport South, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2017

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Arrived after 6 p.m., waited patiently for clerk 1 (who was being casually observed by clerk 2 who could have given us a nod but didn’t) to check in couple who had literally sprinted ahead of us and whose check-in of course was slow (he was paying first night, his work crew subsequent nights, other issues).

Our check-in turn came. No greeting to speak of, no acknowledging we’re longtime Club Carlson members or that we’ve stayed at this very hotel many times (only because of airport). Gave us room location we wanted, but since that floor seemed deserted, no skin off his nose. Made my husband give his ID instead of taking mine because the Club Carlson account is in his name. (I was trying to check us in while hubby got bags. I have checked us in dozens of times with no demand for husband’s ID. Clerk didn’t mind, though, taking my credit card, the one I reserved online with, the one with my name on it.)

Clerks mostly interested in making sure everyone knew the bar hours. They were telling everyone, but I don’t think I ever saw a soul at the bar. While other hotels are going toward free happy hours complete with nibbles or even meals, this one is pushing bar services instead of giving good service to its guests.

This positive: Rooms are suites, nice. Comfy beds, extra pillows, convenient layout, two flat TVs (but excruciatingly slow surfing and bad channels), basically a nice living room/bedroom, or using foldout, two bedrooms with a fairly private feel. Good amenities, plush towels, highly utilitarian bathroom.

But we stayed two nights and a man made the room up: Bed looked like preschooler did it; he threw away our good soaps but left only a single new one; gave only three towels, first night we had four; did not resupply cups. Funny, last time there, a man also did our room and he too did a bad job.

Ice machine on third floor broken so husband had to go to second floor. We had been traveling; all our clothes were dirty but not only was the laundry room in a creepy, inconvenient first-floor corner and size of a closet, there were only two washers and one of them had a "broken" sign on it. And yeah, they had the great cookies but when my husband was down getting some, he witnessed a woman having a meltdown because she had found her bed broken or something, but the man (a clerk?) who came to look at it had told her it was fine. She kept telling them she was “livid” they would not address the issue.

It made me think about how if they can’t handle small problems, maybe that’s why they can’t handle big ones. We were there Christmas 2012 when a blown transformer knocked power out to the hotel while I was outside at our vehicle. I came back in and elevators wouldn't work and stairwells were pitch dark because the emergency lights failed; the dad of a scared family on the stairs told me those lights are never supposed to fail. My husband was upstairs napping and I didn’t have my cell but I didn’t panic till I saw the skeleton hotel crew running around like chickens with heads cut off. There was a good bit of fear and chaos, frightened people separated from loved ones and stairs too dark to ascend/descend and so on and eventually couple worker guys gave some of us flashlights and put flashlights in stairwells. Didn’t know when or if things would be fixed so we went to the airport many hours early after paying for that night just so we could stay there till our late flight. Didn’t ask for money back, too much confusion.

I know they had a fire and mass evacuation there a few weeks ago, hope they handled that better.

Last straw for us probably, reward points and airport proximity be damned. Wretched breakfast second morning. First morning powdered eggs, Canadian bacon and English muffins (meh). They have all that carb crap of course but I don’t do the carb thing often, made do with eggs, yogurt and juice. I think this hotel in particular gives food no one likes so they don’t eat much. I would have liked bacon or sausage, husband biscuits. But the second morning, double ugh. They had these two big bins of what looked like a cross between bacon bits and dog food with the smell being on the dog food side, even in the elevator. No one was eating it and the bins stayed full. I made a stab at the faux omelet and my husband at oatmeal, but we finally tossed our plates and went to McDs. The positive about the second morning was that the breakfast lady didn’t ask us every two minutes if everything was all right and didn’t constantly try to take away plates and cups we weren’t done with, didn’t even hardly see her second morning, which was fine with us.

Just know if you go here, the rooms are nice. Everything else sucks. We did not check the pool, hot tub or gym, but what are the chances all was well with them. If those matter to you, you should ask first.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank papertravel
CarlsonRezidor, Carlson at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport South, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

We apologize for the disappointing service you received from the staff. We want to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive the best service. To discuss your concern further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

This Country Inn and Suites location just outside of the Airport in San Antonio is not your regular or even normal C I & S. All rooms (our understanding) are a kind of mixed suite, with two TVs, one in the "bedroom" and the other in a living room space. Nice desk with free internet, and a very nice above average "kitchen" are with microwave and refrigerator. The ground level breakfast area / evening bar is above average for included breakfasts with a nice window views. The pool / spa is very nice with a nice west side sunning area.

You are a block from one of the Interstates that help you to connect very quickly to the rest of San Antonio. Where to go? The Quarry shopping mall is just south a few miles, then the Peal Brewery Area with a CIA Cooking School and Restaurants, plus a number of other very nice restaurants all within walking distance of the parking lot. And you can purchase a 24 hour pass on the River Walk Water Taxis. This will take you to down town / Alamo area of San Antonio with all of the rest of the River Walk attractions and restaurants.

Now the best part. You can use this 24 hour pass to take a mid day trip, an evening trip, and a morning trip on the River Walk water way. This may sound like too much water taxi but it really is not. Free parking in the Pearl area almost pays for the 24 hour water taxi compared to the down town parking fees. So you take a Saturday taxi ride during the day to tour the Alamo and a light lunch in one of the many restaurants. Then have a nice meal in one of the Pearl restaurants (Nan is the CIA operated place but there are at least 4 or 5 others in a similar class) then a nice romantic walk and water taxi ride after dinner. Then you can eat breakfast at the hotel or another breakfast spot, and take a nice cooler part of the day morning water taxi ride.

And within a mile of the Inn there are several late night places to pickup a street taco and a beverage.

And the value pricing makes this location a winner on a weekend.

Room Tip: These rooms are great for a long weekend, with desk space for a little bit of work if needed. And t...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 17, 2013

I'm not sure how I can get everything here in 200 characters. This hotel and the staff is top notch. From check in to check out. We were here 6 nights and they treated us like it was our home. Knew our name and greeted us every time we walked by the desk. They were all friendly from housekeeping to those that worked behind the bar and those that prepared the wonderful full breakfasts every day. There were hot cookies and apple cider in the lobby 24 hrs. as well as the coffee too. Our room was spotless, roomy and the two televisions in the suite made it nice too. My husband loves a HOT hot tub and this one was perfect. I enjoyed the treadmills in the exercise room. Close to everything including the airport and they have a free 24 hr. shuttle that will take you anyplace within five miles. We will come back and this will be the only hotel in San Antonio where we'll stay. It deserves 10 stars!

Room Tip: We loved the ground floor as we were close to the lobby. Even though the ice machine was close to o...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2TheBeach4Ever

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Sorry CIS Staff for not posting this sooner. I was in San Antonio for so much needed R&R when I found this property. The location was perfect since is used to live in SA & know area well. The real delight was this beautiful property's staff. All were friendly and very attentive to their guests. It is very apparent that this property has an exellent Management Team because the staff is happy. They truly understand the meaning of hospitality and it shows with everything they do.

Room Tip: All the rooms are comfortable and spacious! Even though they are near the airport, you can not hear...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Kathie M

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We found a good deal ahead of time and stayed for a couple of nights during a quick getaway. The decor is modern yet welcoming. The room had a lot of functionality (would've liked brighter lighting in the bathroom, but that was minor), and every single staff person was friendly and helpful - such a rare find these days. The free cookies at the front desk didn't hurt, either. ;) The location made it simple to get almost anywhere in town in about 15 or 20 minutes. It was close to good shopping and restaurants, too. Sure, it wasn't a hotel right on the Riverwalk, but for the money saved it was well worth it. We'd love to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple