“Nice clean and close to downtown”

Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport South
Ranked #56 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We booked this hotel through hotwire without knowing which hotel we would receive. After staying here last weekend, we were quite impressed. The hotel offers a huge lobby, extremely nice quiet suite rooms with good beds, plenty of space, couch, refrigerator, updated decor, and modern bathroom. Then there is the abundant and really great breakfast served in a rather large space with plenty of tables and chairs.

This hotel is heavily booked which means you might as well check in at 3pm instead of wait for an hour or so like we did for the rooms to be cleaned. However, the front desk staff did a wonderful job keeping us informed and making us feel welcomed guests.

Even though the location is at the airport (a bit hard to get to - make sure you get good directions) it was a snap to get into downtown and the AT&T Center, which is were we attended a WNBA basketball game. I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Check in at 3pm or you may have to wait since the hotel is booked up most nights.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Amado M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport South, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2017

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport South

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We flew into San Antonio and wanted a hotel near the airport so that we could return the following day to pickup a rental car before driving to the Texas Hill Country. After researching Trip Advisor we decided on this Country Inn and Suites. When we arrived the exterior appeared a little bit seedy...like the sign and paint could use a bit of freshening. But, once we were inside our whole impression instantly changed. The lobby and breakfast area was very large nice and clean. Our room was spacious with a small sitting area, a king bed and a large bathroom. The hotel has a small indoor pool with a hot tub. We used those amenities after spending some time at the River Walk. The hotel has a nice bar which is unusual for this style of hotel. After dinner out we stopped at the bar and socialized with the excellent bartender and a few other guests. A continental breakfast was served from 6:30 to 9:30 AM. The service at this hotel was really great. The employees just couldn't do enough for you. The hotel has a free shuttle service to and from the airport. They will also shuttle customers anywhere within a five mile radius of the hotel. This was a great stay.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I don't even know where to start! This hotel was the best part of our trip! From the moment we arrived and until we left the hotel the staff made us feel like family. I have never stayed in a hotel before where the staff took time to talk with you and asked how your day was! Max & Michael were wonderful on suggesting places to see and or eat at and everyplace we went was exactly as they said it would be! So, thanks guys for that! The other plus to this great hotel was the fact they shuttle you anywhere within a 5 mile radius which came in handy on the nights I needed a break from driving! I just want to say thanks Max for taking the time to chat with us and Michael thanks for the company while serving us the best priced "Adult" drinks! You guys ROCK!! This hotel is a must stay and this Oklahoma mom will make it the first choice always! Also have to mention the wonderful Breakfast every morning! OH! Also the fresh baked free cookies!! Yummm!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Wow is all I can say ! I have stayed at a lot of hotels and have never had this kind of 1st class treatment... The staff treated my family like their family and I Thank them for that ! Hotel was very clean, breakfast was good...Awesome stay.. Ask for Max and tell them the family from Oklahoma sent you ! Have a beer at the bar and tell Michael Thank you.. My family and I cant wait to come back !

Room Tip: They are all good !
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Location:
Centrally located near the airport and 410 loop and 281 highway for very easy access, it includes a free shuttle to and from the airport terminals. This hotel is one of the best Country Inn’s I’ve ever stayed at. It’s relatively new, clocking at approximately 4 years old, so it’s very modern and fresh. The hotel is very elegantly decorated. While it is located far away from the downtown and Riverwalk area, which I strongly recommend you visit, it’s a really solid choice and has a great location for travelers who need or wish to stay by the airport. Downtown is around 15-20 minutes away by car.

The room:
Our room was on the 4th floor (top floor). I specifically asked for an airport view since I like seeing planes taking off and landing. The room has soundproof windows, so you can’t hear the planes, which is great. The room was very spacious, with a separate common area with a couch, ottoman and TV, and a workstation. The workstation has all the connections required to use your laptop through the TV. The room also has a separate bed area with another TV, and it had a small fridge, microwave and coffee maker.

Bathroom:
The bathroom was modern, with plenty of towels and a REALLY good shower head. Plenty of toiletries.

Hotel amenities:
The hotel common areas were my favorite. The lobby is very well decorated with very comfortable furniture that gives it a very warm and welcome feel, with a bar at the end with some really good bartenders. One of the best features in my opinion is the free breakfast, with a lot of choices including a waffle station, really good coffee and juices, and real dishes and silverware.

The breakfast attendants are very friendly and caring, and always ask you a couple of times during your meal if everything is going well and if they can get anything for you.

The hotel also has a indoor pool and a gym. The gym itself is huge by hotel standards.

Internet is also free, and so is parking. In the afternoon, the staff bakes really good cookies and puts them by the front desk for everyone to help themselves.

Great value for your dollar. I strongly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the airport. Don't worry about airplane noise. You won't hear a th...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were just driving through San Antonio and needed a place to stay. Checked trip advisor and it didn't disappoint. I'm not sure what is around this location other than the airport, but the hotel itself is great. Good rates, clean, good rooms, and good personnel. The only item I didn't like was that at the other country inn and suites I've stayed at they are truly suites with a door between the two sections of your room. This is nice if you want a little privacy from the kids. However, at this location there was no door. Simply an opening between the two parts of the overall room. I'm sure it isn't a big deal for most but it is something I noticed. One other positive note and a pretty crucial one, the air conditioner in the room worked great. Unfortunately, I've stayed at other hotels where the air conditioner has not worked properly. It doesn't matter how nice the hotel is, if the air conditioner doesn't work right, it is a major issue. In this case I was pleased to see it worked well and I got a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I am a self professed hotel snob. And this hotel surpassed all my expectations. It is very close to the airport and there is a shuttle that will come pick you up so no car needed. The shuttle will also take you any where you want to go in a 5 mile radius. The driver took us to lunch and dinner twice and was always courteous.

The room was great. We stayed in a king suite. It was nice to have 2 separate spaces. A living area with TV and pull out couch and bedroom with another TV. Plenty of space to spread out. Bathroom was very nice.

Breakfast was surprisingly good. Not the typical continental breakfast that you get for free. Great choices like eggs, bacon, biscuits, waffles, cereals, juices, coffee, fresh fruit. Everything tasted really good too. And the staff was wonderful. Very friendly, always smiling.

The best was the bar. Rarely do you see a nice bar in a hotel at this price point. It was great!

We would totally stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends