“great value and friendly staff”

Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport South
Ranked #47 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
na
“great value and friendly staff”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We just spent one night before an early flight. The hotel is brand new. The rooms are very well laid out. There's privacy between the sitting area and the bedroom. There are 2 tvs and a microwave and small fridge. The decor is modern and the furniture is comfortable.
The staff was excellent. They offered to pick us up after we dropped off our rental car and were waiting for us when we got there.
The pool is indoor and very small- my stepdaughter gave that a thumbs down but she loved everything else. They have a nice lobby bar with $4 highballs and the house liquors were Absolut and Jack Daniels.
I cant comment on breakfast as we left at 430-am .
This is an airport property so the view is crappy but they've done a pretty good job with sound proofing as we didn't hear a thing all night.

Room Tip: We had a corner room. It was very spacious!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Great Room-----seriously, two flat screens( one at the bed, one in the office...which is in the room). All hook ups for computer, printer, etc.for the geeks. Fridge, coffee maker with ceramic coffee cups, as well as to-gos...Just a serious room for like a buckfifteen(?)---oh , theres more....indoor pool, gym, espresso bar and ....Bar. I considered stayin another night cause of the breakup the night before.......I will return----

Room Tip: 12 noon checkout was a bonus--- They were noisy cleaning the room nextdoor(TV, Radio) but as soon as...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Kaufman, Texas
Reviewed March 15, 2012

This has been the best trip ever. The hotel staff was excellent went the extra mile. We went to Sea World on Monday got back late that night and we were so tired and sun burnt. We had asked the lady (Alice B.) if they had any aloe vera for sale. Which they didn't but she did have some sunburn cream and a spray. We were able to take the spray upstairs with us so we could take a shower and then but some on. We were very impressed with how far she had went out of her way she went to accomadate us. She had went out of her way on other several occasions to help us. Such as directions and more.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Whytegurl1183
Texas City, Texas
Reviewed March 6, 2012

With the exception of a longer than usual wait time to check in, this hotel was great! Staff and front desk were very polite and helpful. They were very crowded with two large groups when we arrived, so I understand the wait. The room was spacious and up to date contemporary. Clean room and comfortable beds! I booked online and made a special request and the staff actually read my request and placed us accordingly. I appreciated that very much! The breakfast was well stocked and very good! The only negative thing I would say about our stay was the parking lot - a lot of holes and kinda hard to tell how to get to the hotel. Other than that, we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Karen G
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed March 3, 2012

- Gorgeous architecture that combines old and new elements.
- I chose a room in the lowest price category, still it was as spacious and elegant as a real suite.
- Staff were friendly, especially the hotel manager.
If you just come to San Antonio to explore the city, this hotel may be slightly too far from down town.
But I'm very happy that I picked this hotel... truly the best value for your money.
I'll be back there.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Georgetown, Texas
Reviewed February 22, 2012

This Country Inns is not the typical architecture and is very sleek and modern. The rooms and furnishings are excellent and the hotel is very comfortable. Well worth the price.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DWoerner
Austin, TX / Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I'm just going to break it down piece by piece...

Arriving at the hotel: The hotel entrance is kinda weird. You can only enter from the side street. There is a huge empty parking lot on Broadway. I pulled into this parking lot because it looks like it goes right up to the front doors of the hotel. Wrong. You have to turn onto Gulfmart Street then take a left into the actual hotel parking. You can park in the huge parking lot since it's just a few steps from the entrance, but it's not the hotel's, so there were some construction vehicles parked in there. Either way, your preference.

Check-In: This was great (at first). A gentleman welcomed me and asked my name, etc.. I handed him the hotel's paperwork to verify that the card to be charged was not mine personally, but a corporate company card. He took it, all was good, and I got my key. 5 minutes into walking into my room, the room phone rang and it was the front desk telling me that my corporate card declined and I needed to come back to the front desk. I'm not sure how other company cards are, but usually the limits are high enough to charge a room to. I went back downstairs and a female at the front desk informed that it was declined and they needed another card. (Did I mention she was too busy to help me at first because she was talking to her son standing at her desk?) Especially with the way she said it as if I was someone off the street trying to scam the hotel. I was so embarrassed, especially since there were other guests standing there watching. Extremely annoyed and embarrassed, I told her I was going to go back to my room and get another card. While I was going to my room, one of my co-workers were trying to order from the bar and the bartender informed them that the credit card machines are working properly so he needed to pay cash. Really?!?! Your credit card machine wasn't working?!?! So basically the female on duty that embarrassed me in front of other people regarding my "declined" credit card, was wrong! How the hell does a bartender know the credit card machine isn't working but the front desk clerk doesn't?? Normally they would know before anyone else. At the end the room was charged. So all this unnecessary drama left me aggravated, embarrassed, and a sour taste towards the hotel service.

Room: The room was great! The bathroom has the designer sinks, amenities, hair dryer, etc.. There is a mini living room area with a love seat, ottoman, chair, and a flat screen on the wall. Next to the tv is a nice sized desk with a hard-wire internet access (although they give you a wifi password as well). (If you have an iphone, after you go to general settings to choose the hotel's wifi, you have to go to "safari" and log-in there with the hotel's username & password in order to get wifi on your phone.) There was a full length framed mirror, which was a nice addition. In front of the desk was a frosted window-type opening that you can open and close. I'm assuming that is for when someone is sleeping while another person is at the desk working??? On the other side of the window is the bed, small closet with a safe (in the wall), dresser with a flat screen tv, night stands, and a bench. There was also a console with a mini-fridge and microwave. Make sure you turn the fridge's settings when you put your stuff in there. I thought it was already on, so later when I go to get a drink, it was all warm. On top is a mini coffee maker with coffee, tea, etc..

Continental Breakfast: A great addition to staying here is the free breakfast. There were eggs, bacon, potatoes, bagels, mini-muffins, oatmeal, cold cereal, canned fruit, toast, and a belgian waffle maker. Plus apple, cranberry, and orange juice.

Bar: Bar drinks were good. Little pricey, but you expect that with a hotel bar.

So all and all I liked the hotel. I give it 4 stars only because of the drama during check-in.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SinCityJenn
CountryInn_78217, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport South, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies if in any way we made you feel uncomfortable. Although there are policies and procedures we must follow, there is no excuse for making you feel inadequate. Once again we apololgize and thank you for your kind comments.