“Stay somewhere else”

Ranked #241 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Kansas
“Stay somewhere else”
Reviewed March 25, 2011

The hotel messed our reservations and when asked to fix it they became defensive saying that I was the one who screwed up. The nieghborhood is horrible with kids off the street asking you for money when you pull in to park. The security is bad because the same kids were running around in the halls wich make it very uncomfortable. LOCK YOUR DOORS. Management needs to takes some courses on people skills.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank macblast

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
wichita, kansas, USA
Reviewed January 2, 2011

Reserved a 3 night stay in non-smoking king room for the Alamo bowl. Since we had a car, the location was ideal at just 5 minutes from downtown. Arrived to find they put us in a smoking double bed room, which smelled worse than the ash tray on the table. I was told they were sold out that night and couldn't do anything till the next day. After some persistence, I got them to put us in a non-smoking suite for the first night. Then our proper room for the second and third.

Had to check out "as early as possible" of the suite room the next morning so they could prep it for the next guest. When we returned around 2, our new room was not ready yet. Apparently "we'll clean it first" is the same as "it won't be ready until 3pm". More persistence, got them to give us a room that was ready since we weren't feeling well and needed a nap. That room had blood stains on the mattress pad. By that point, we just threw a towel down and gave up.

Both rooms had dirty showers with lots of hair left behind. Breakfast was good, though. Overall just not very clean with little attention to detail. i had to complain and be persistent to get them to make the situation right, which shouldn't be necessary. I guess we got what we paid for at $60 / night, probably won't stay there again, though.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 20, 2010

We walked in not expecting that it would be AWESOME! I really enjoyed it. I saw stay there because we will everytime.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Alabama
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Stayed here for one night to see The Alamo and move on through via I-10. If the place had been in a better location, it would probably have been a strong 4-star for me. But, the location pulls it down to a strong 3 in my opinion.

There are I believe 5 floors with interior corridors and elevators. Very nice place...seemingly pretty new and you can tell that the rooms have seen little wear. Flat screen TVs on the wall in the rooms, granite counters, etc. Comfy bedding and nice furnishings. The lobby and hallways all looked nice and smelled new.

The free breakfast is a bit on the lean side considering the bfast competition out there these days, but for the rate ($50s when we were there), I can't complain much about that...it was included and sufficient.

We noticed a couple of little things...light cover missing in the bathroom; light shade scorched from heat on the bedside lamp; leaking ceiling in the lobby foyer...but that's about it as far as physical issues.

There is ample parking, as well as an outdoor pool/hot tub...although, neither felt very secure to me personally. There are apartment complexes around the hotel, which looked questionable to me...hate to sound like a snob, but they did. This may be the most crime-free neighborhood in San Antonio for all I know, but it gave you that "hmmmm" feeling and I wouldn't want kids down by the pool unsupervised or an unsecured truck tool box guarding my valuables.

You can be at The Alamo and the riverwalk in 5 minutes or so following directions by the staff, but again...good neighborhood??..Beats me. Just seemed like an odd locale for such an otherwise nice hotel...but, this is probably why the rates are low.

The staff are incredibly friendly (Front desk lady...Mrs.??? was a pleasure) and very willing to answer questions/help. No dining is walkable. The location is convenient in that it is right off of I-10, but otherwise know in advance that it leaves a bit to be desired. This place also has a 24-hour cancel policy, so no changing your mind...once you're there, you're in:)

If following a GPS, you'll need to call and get a neighboring address as this hotel is freakishly addressed to I-10 and your GPS will be wildly confused.

Hate to say it, but probably wouldn't stay here again due to the outskirt location...if this doesn't matter to you though, go for it....value for quality otherwise is well above par.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank deskclerk102
Orlando, FL
Reviewed June 21, 2010

My husband and I were going to Sea World and Schlitterbahn this past Father's Day weekend. The hotel is about 15 minutes from Sea World and about 35 or so from Schlitterbahn.

We checked in with ease and the place was bright, clean, and cozy. I booked this room using reward points from the Choice Privileges card and was able to secure the last suite available. I had no idea it included so much! It was a 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite with a jacuzzi tub in the room, fridge, couch, microwave, etc. It had 2 flat screen tv's with cable and movies for purchase. It was clean and the bed in the "master" was very comfy.

I previously worked for a marketing company and represented Choice Hotels on the LPGA tour. I have stayed at COUNTLESS Choice properties all over the country and this one is one of my top favorites. We absolutely loved our experience here and will return for sure. When friends or family come and visit and want to go to San Antonio, we'll refer them here too. Checkout was simple and the breakfast was just okay. I'd give the breakfast a 3.5. It would be nice if they had warm options besides waffles.

For those looking to take advantage of the pool, just to warn you it's VERY TINY. We weren't looking for that so it didn't bother us.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
Reviewed April 6, 2010

My husband and I needed a hotel room to stay in over the Easter Holiday. Not knowing San Antonio really well, we tried to book (what we thought) was a hotel near the center of town. Not knowing that the AT&T Center is not really in the center of town, but after reading reviews on trip advisor, decided to stay here (and the pictures looked enticing)

When we arrived, we were greeted at the front desk by the pleasant staff and checked right in. We got a great room (suite with seperate sitting area), very clean and actually very nice for the price. It was also a great surprise to find an all NON smoking hotel. All in all it was a great experience. There were some issues that I want to point out when choosing this hotel.

1) There is little parking in the front and if you have to park behind the building there is no entrance, so you have to walk around. (atleast we did not see one???)
2) The hotel is really isolated and there is not much in the form of eateries in the area.
3) There is a somewhat questionable set of apartments across the street of the hotel, which I was worried about, but it did not hinder my decision to stay.
4) They serve breakfast, but you have to be an early bird because it was from 6-9 or something like that. We didn't wake up till after 9 so always missed it - maybe they should reconsider that time frame??
and last but not least - 5) When we got to our room, I went to use the bathroom and there were no soaps or shampoos or coffee for the coffee maker. I quickly told the pleasant front desk attendant and she remedied it by giving us what we needed.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
victoria texas
Reviewed February 25, 2010

I don't know what people are complaining about. My sister and I stayed there one night so we didn't have to drive home late after going to a concert at the stock show. We were so pleased with the cleanliness and luxuriousness of the room! We almost didn't want to go out and just enjoy our stay there. I loved the comfortable beds, the HDTV, the clean restrooms, It was totally cool that they had a microwave and a fridge! And it was only $55. On Sunday, we went to the contintental breakfast and only wished that we knew what the pancake batter was! She accidentally put the gravy in there. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and even used the exercise room. I would recommed this hotel to a friend!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends