“THE Most historiacl bar in Texas!”
Review of Menger Bar

Menger Bar
Ranked #2 of 138 Nightlife in San Antonio
More attraction details
Owner description: Bar which has changed little since the days when Teddy Roosevelt recruited his Rough Riders here.
Reviewed March 24, 2013

How many Presidents, Senators, Representatives, Good Guys, Bad Guys, Multimillionaires & Multithousandaires (me) have stood at this bar just feet from the Shrine of Texas Freedom, the Alamo?
This is as good as it gets to be surrounded by history and to hoist one as so many notable men & women have before you!

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I have NEVER expereinced a setting as I did at the Menger Bar! Perfect lighting, music, atmosphere! Friendly service, comperable pricing...stop in and sit a spell! You'll be glad you did!!!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I had no business paying to stay at the expensive, amazing hotel in the first place. I had even LESS business stepping into a bar I was sure would make me go broke, but I'm so glad I did!

The atmosphere is hands down the coolest place to sit and have a drink. Its rich wood, dim lights, and vintage animal heads make you feel like you're back in time. Cliche, but I attest to it.

To my surprise, the beers were more reasonable than down by the riverwalk, my Guinness was only $5! Seriously, thats unheard of.

Crab Jalapeno poppers- a little odd, but they were fresh and I destroyed them. Also, try the quesadilla.

But our bartender was the best part, wish I remembered his name but he was so jolly and attentive without being close to obnoxious or overbearing. I guess I just expected a place like that to have a really snooty bartender like most 5 star hotel bars.

Am going back-tonight!

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Upon walking into the Menger Bar, I felt as if I was transported back in time. The bar is small and dark. The woodwork is incredibly beautiful. The walls are lined with pictures of Teddy Roosevelt. It was a slice of history! Take the time to walk around the bar and view the pix and read the captions. Stroll out into the impressive lobby where the pictures and stories continue. I didn't realize places like this still existed. Wonderful!

PS...not a place for children!

1  Thank itchyfeetx2
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Finally found this storied bar--known for its affiliations with Teddy Roosevelt--off a side street, on the north side of the Hotel Menger, between the hotel and the Alamo. Small, dark, and fascinating. Dates to the late 1800s and still looks the part. Enjoyed my Manhattan, too. No draft beers, though.

1  Thank Jim P