“Great Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #59 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

I came for a half marathon and whenever I travel, I look at location and price. Located right across the street from the Alamo and within walking distance to restaurants, the River Walk and a good amount of other things. I'm a Priority Club Platinum member and they couldn't offer me a full upgrade from what I booked, but I ended up with a partial upgrade and free breakfast both mornings I was here (I'll take free food). The room itself was a tad small for me, but I was honestly just using it for a shower and to sleep. I didn't spend all that much time in it. Rooms are clean, but the building itself has been a host of things over the past 100 yrs, including office space. The hallways echo, so at night if people are loud, the halls make them louder. Staff was friendly, no problems at all. They will hold your bags for you if you have a large gap between check out and when you leave. The only time I went to the restaurant was breakfast that Saturday morning to use one of the free meals. The French Toast was good so there ya go...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Christine G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Largo, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Location? From our room we had a view of the front of the Alamo and we were only a couple of blocks from the Riverwalk. What more could you ask for?

Good Value? Definitely.

Rooms? Clean, but small.

Ambiance? A little odd since it is a remodeled office building with marble hallways. These can loudly echo anyone’s talking late at night.

Parking? Only expensive valet. You can park for a 12-hour day in the adjacent lot for $10 and on the streets for free after 6pm.

Overall? Great choice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Staffordshire, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I travelled with my husband and stayed here for 4 nights. We chose to stay in San Antonio whilst going to the F1 Grand Prix in Austin. Although about an hour away the drive was great using the new toll road.

As we had a hire car we used the car park next door and posted our payment in the relevant slot ($10 overnight). Following check in we signed up to the hotels privilege scheme & then got the hotel valet parking for $10 for 24 hours, plus tip for the valet guys.

We were checked in by the friendly front desk staff who gave us free vouchers for breakfast on our 1st morning and headed to our room. The room was disappointingly small, although we'd read reviews and knew some rooms were small we'd hoped we'd end up with a bigger room. However, we went down & spoke to the front desk, explaining that this stay was part of a longer trip and we had more luggage than would comfortably fit in the room! The young girl (can't recall her name) was so helpful, she changed our room and I think we ended up with an upgrade. The 2nd room was much larger, with more storage space too. The bed was also really comfortable.

We used the breakfast voucher. The restaurant had more of a cafe feel, but that could just be the mornings. We had a good breakfast though, I had a huge Texas shaped waffle which was delicious. The voucher covered the food and we just added the tip.

As others have stated the hotel is an old bank and the features that remain are really nice and gave the hotel a great atmosphere. The location is great too, right across the road from the Alamo and just a short stroll to the river walk, we also walked to the Tower of Americas. Whilst in San Antonio we didn't use the car once, we left it with the valet and walked everywhere.

We only had 1 and a half days in San Antonio as we were at the GP for our remaining time, but we did take a stroll most evenings. There was a great atmosphere in the square out the front of the Alamo and the whole of San Antonio was a very relaxing place to visit.

I would stay in San Antonio again and would look to stay here again as the hotel was fantastic, in a great location and the staff were so friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

This was going to be a great review until we went to check-out and the valet had lost our car keys. Okay, the room was a bit small but perfectly good, quiet comfortable, and the location was excellent with easy access to the river walk and the Alamo. The staff were friendly and polite, and the hotel had a nice retro feel to it which we liked. The experience with the parking however did tarnish our stay, as we were eager to continue our road trip but the valet took an age to retrieve our car, and we figured they had lost our keys as they frantically went through the key cabinet; I think we waited about 45 minutes whilst we were continually being told our car was on its way!! I guess it was quite busy, but on the other hand it was $25 so it wasn't cheap - a little more upfront honesty from the valets wouldn't have gone a miss!!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear George W,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

I just completed a stay at the Hotel Indigo Alamo and I was pleasantly surprised. It is a great laocation, right in the middle of downtown and across the street from the Alamo. It is only a short walk to the Riverwalk and other sights.The price was also quite affordable for a downtown hotel when compared to other properties in the area.The front desk staff was very polite, courteous and extremely helpful, as were all the employees I came in contact with during my stay. The rooms were clean and modern in terms of decoration and furniture and very relaxing.The beds were super comfortable with extra pillows and clean linens. Bathroom was also clean and well stocked with clean towels and Avieda soaps and lotions.There is no hotel parking , but you can valet your car for $25.00 a day.( A little steep but just about the same as other hotels in the area).Overall, i would definitely reccommend this location to anyone looking to visit San Antonio and stay in the heart of downtown. Thank you Hotel Indigo for a great stay. See you next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Alamo. The view is great.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

This was my first visit to San Antonio. I am so glad that I stayed in such a great downtown location. The rooms are very nice for a remodeled office building that was built in 1909. The bed was pretty comfortable and there was plenty of hot water for my longer-than-average showers. The casual restaurant in the hotel had good food for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The business center, free USA Today newspapers during the week and free WIFI were all nice touches. We did not have a car, so we were not subjected to the high hotel parking fees. Being in a downtown location, my guess is that other hotel parking fees are on the high side, too. The queen bed rooms are on the smaller side, but the King bed rooms that I saw we're quite roomy. If you are interested in a great downtown San Antonio hotel location, the Indigo at Alamo Plaza is a good choice.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Indigo at the Alamo midweek for three nights as part of a business trip. It was a return visit, as I had stayed there twice before in 2010. The previous two visits were great, and I looked forward to the stay. I was placed into a tiny room facing away from the street. I was surprised somewhat by the size, given my repeat customer status and my Priority Gold status. However, I decided to accept the "fault" as my own for booking a queen bed room instead of a king. On my final night, I crawled into bed around 11:30 p.m. following a late dinner. That's when I noticed a "crack" on the wall that seemed to move. Upon closer inspection, I discovered the crack was actually a trail of ants. They started at the bowl of chips on the desk and trailed past my headboard to the window. I obviously couldn't sleep at this point and contacted the front desk.

"Hi, I'm staying in room XYZ and am checking out tomorrow, but there are ants all over the walls."
"OK."
"So, I'll need to move to a different room."
"Let me see if something's available."

AVAILABLE?! I just told you that you have a pest problem. How are the first words out of your
mouth "Oh, I'm so sorry" or "Let me get you another room right away."

I was told that another room one floor down was available, so I quickly packed up my things and went to the desk to get my key. Again, no apology. When I opened the door to my new room, I discovered that it was unmade. Back to the front desk I go! It's now past midnight.
"The room that you just put me in hasn't been made up."
"Oh, my book showed that it was."
WHERE'S THE APOLOGY?!
I kept silent at this point, given how furious I was. I was finally placed in a larger, made-up, ant-free room where I got a grand total of 6 hours of sleep before leaving the next morning.

I left a follow-up voice message to the director of sales later that day expressing my frustration about this stay, the fact I was offered no compensation or even an apology, and that I had stayed prior. I requested a callback and never received one.

Quite unfortunate, given my previous two stays in 2010 were good. But there's plenty of other hotels in this area of the Riverwalk, and this property has lost my business for good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business